Cycling training same format as road running?

jaredrun

Aug 3, 2016
Hello--

I'm currently training for a triathlon and was wondering how you even get started on the cycling training. I have been a competitive runner and know the "format" for running, but was wounding if it was the same for competitive road cycling/cycling in triathlons. Can I just make my typical run distances 3x as long milage wise and be set to be training as a competitive cyclist?

For example a typical running week can look like:

Monday: Long run (10 miles)
Tuesday: Easy run (4 miles)
Wednesday: Tempo/Lactate threshold run (3 miles)
Thursday: Easy Run (5 miles)
Friday: Speed/hill work

So is cycling training the same? can I just make the distances 3x as long and do it on a bike instead of running shoes....?

Thanks!

I'm currently training for a triathlon and was wondering how you even get started on the cycling training.
Not to be smart, but get on the bike and ride!
How far is the bike leg? How much have you been riding, do you have basic cycling skills? When is the triathalon.
If the tri has 24 miles of biking you should get used to riding that distance at the very least.

Hello--

I'm currently training for a triathlon and was wondering how you even get started on the cycling training. I have been a competitive runner and know the "format" for running, but was wounding if it was the same for competitive road cycling/cycling in triathlons. Can I just make my typical run distances 3x as long milage wise and be set to be training as a competitive cyclist?

For example a typical running week can look like:

Monday: Long run (10 miles)
Tuesday: Easy run (4 miles)
Wednesday: Tempo/Lactate threshold run (3 miles)
Thursday: Easy Run (5 miles)
Friday: Speed/hill work

So is cycling training the same? can I just make the distances 3x as long and do it on a bike instead of running shoes....?

Thanks!

I don't do triathlons, but am a pretty good runner and getting better as a cyclist. I think you should use the bike not only to make you better at cycling, but improve your running as well. As a runner for 7 solid years(am 29 years old now), my speed didn't improve to much in that time. 4-5 miles, 3-5 days a week, somewhere in the 7's-8's per mile. In 1 year of cycling with minimal running, I can run a mile in 6:30 now.

You may want to reduce your running as you incorporate cycling into your training. The cycling will help your running, but not so much the other way around. You must know as an experienced runner that 1 day too many can easily lead to an overtraining injury. Cycling on the other hand is less stressful on your body. You can find some more expert advice online I bet, but heres what i'd do to get the best of both worlds.Start with something like this until your body gets more use to cycling.

Mon:Long Run,10 miles
Tues:Ride 10-15 miles.If you cant manage that, just as much as you can.
Wed:Tempo Run 4-5 miles
Thurs:Ride 10-15 miles.If you cant manage that, just as much as you can.
Fri: Run Speed/Hill work
Sat
Sun:

I'm assuming that weekends aren't a time you plan to workout, thats fine. I'd say at first, just start to incorporate cycling into your regiment. Those 10-15 miles may feel like nothing after a week or two. When you get more use to the bike, you may decide to do tempo rides in the 20-30 mile range 2-3 days a week and a longer ride 1. Or find that it better suits you to do a ride and run on the same day, even consecutively.

At the beginning of the year, I was getting use to doing 35 miles on the bike and then doing 2-3 miles runs immediately after. look up "brick" training.