Cycling Training Section

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by iinfotech01, Jul 31, 2010.

1. iinfotech01

iinfotech01 New Member

Cycling training varies greatly across the disciplines. From the intense, anaerobically demanding speedway events to the ultra-endurance stage races, each cycling discipline requires a different training approach. Even within the same discipline, variations in distance will have a significant effect on a cyclist fitness regime.
    This section of the website is dedicated to cycling training and conditioning in the following major disciplines:

• Road Racing
    • Track Racing
    • Mountain Biking
    • BMX Racing
    • Cycle Speedway
    • Cyclo-Cross
    Professional road cyclists posses exceptional endurance. While VO2max is not always a good predictor of performance in elite endurance athletes, studies have shown that aerobic power is high in this group of performers
    More accurate predictors of performance include lactate threshold, maximal lactate steady state and power output at lactate threshold. Lactate threshold has been shown to be as high as 90% of VO2max in professional cyclists
    Peak power output can also be used to predict cycling performance across the disciplines. For competitive road cyclists, anaerobic power is required for the mass start, hill climbing and a sprint finish. It may be even more important for off-road cyclists and is obviously a prerequisite for track racing. Traditionally, cycling coaches have prescribed increases in training volume to induce overload and adaptation. Yet it may be that a reduction in volume and integration of interval sprint training may be more beneficial. Not only has this shown to improve peak power output and capacity, it also increases VO2max to a greater extent compared to lower intensity, longer duration training
    This, along with other training strategies is examined in the articles below. You will find sample training sessions and programs for the various cycling disciplines, all drawing on current scientific research.

Tags:

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

That post should sell a lot of chairs....

3. Deafwolf

Deafwolf New Member

This may be a good place to ask about the best approach to finishing a crit with the group. I have done four crit race so far and have not completed one yet without getting dropped. I came into this racing mid to late season with only some distance riding under my belt. I get close to half the duration before my legs just run out of gas. Would this be considered a lack of endurance or a lack of power? My max HR is 182 (220-38) and do intervals at a HR of 175 for 2-min durations. (that is about 95% of my max HR) Distance is not a problem since I do 20-30 mile rides regularly. I still peter out on the hills though.

My guess is that I need to train my lactate threshold more and extend my intervals to greater lengths and maybe bring my Hr back to a 170. Please share your thoughts. What kind of interval will I need to hold and maintain to successfully complete a crit without getting dropped?