Cycling trip in Cuba

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Mpt, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Mpt

    Mpt Guest

    Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route recommendation? As well as other
    traveling tips? I know Lonely planet has a specific book about this subject. But i would like to
    hear more about it. Many thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. I did a search but came up empty looking for a guy who most recently toured Madagascar, but the year
    before did a trip around Cuba and gave us an excellent report. Someone else will surely leave a
    link. "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route
    recommendation?
    > As well as other traveling tips? I know Lonely planet has a specific book about this subject. But
    > i would like to hear more about it. Many thanks in advance.

  3. >Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route recommendation? As well as other
    >traveling tips?

    I have not bicycled Cuba.

    Some of the standard touring web sites seem to have journals of Cuba including: http://www.raph.nl -
    Travel To The Horizon web site.

    Also, for those thinking of an organized tour (not do it yourself which would be my preferred
    method), I'll provide a pointer to the MacQueen's Bicycle Shop on Prince Edward Island:
    http://www.macqueens.com/

    These guys have been doing Cuba tours for a while. I came across them when cycling across Canada in
    1997. The bike shop gave me excellent service including driving me to post office to mail home
    several extra foldable tyres I had purchased from them. I've browsed their Cuba web site some
    including some of the standard questions for US citizens wishing to visit Cuba. I don't have any
    other association (or any contact) with this bike shop, other than as a happy customer of Gordon
    MacQueen in 1997.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  4. Mpt

    Mpt Guest

    Thanks, Randy. Do you remember his name? "Randy Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I did a search but came up empty looking for a guy who most recently
    toured
    > Madagascar, but the year before did a trip around Cuba and gave us an excellent report. Someone
    > else will surely leave a link. "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route
    > recommendation?
    > > As well as other traveling tips? I know Lonely planet has a specific book about this subject.
    > > But i would like to hear more about it. Many thanks in advance.

  5. Eric

    Eric Guest

  6. Natterchatter

    Natterchatter New Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2003
    Hi, I am busy organising a cycling trip to Cuba in Dec 2004 return Jan 2005. The plan roughly is to ride to Pinar del Rio, hire a car there or take a Viazul bus to Holgiun, cylcle the North Orient and cut down to Santiago de Cuba via Cueto. Then onto Bayamo, down the main route to Santa Clara, Trinidad, Cienfugos, Bay of Pigs Australia, Varadero and finish in La Habana. Do yourself a favour and buy Barbara and Wally Smith's book Bicycling Cuba.
    Good Luck.

  7. Mpt

    Mpt Guest

    We did the part from Havana to Vinales. Great ride and friendly cubans. Then we basically bumped
    around in Trinidad without big cycling exercises for another week. The night life in Trinidad is
    quite an experience. We might go back to Cuba at the end of this year to try other routes.

    news:[email protected]...