Cycling trip in Cuba

Mpt

Guest
Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route recommendation? As well as other
traveling tips? I know Lonely planet has a specific book about this subject. But i would like to
hear more about it. Many thanks in advance.

I did a search but came up empty looking for a guy who most recently toured Madagascar, but the year
before did a trip around Cuba and gave us an excellent report. Someone else will surely leave a
link. "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route
recommendation?
> As well as other traveling tips? I know Lonely planet has a specific book about this subject. But
> i would like to hear more about it. Many thanks in advance.

>Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route recommendation? As well as other
>traveling tips?

I have not bicycled Cuba.

Some of the standard touring web sites seem to have journals of Cuba including: http://www.raph.nl -
Travel To The Horizon web site.

Also, for those thinking of an organized tour (not do it yourself which would be my preferred
method), I'll provide a pointer to the MacQueen's Bicycle Shop on Prince Edward Island:
http://www.macqueens.com/

These guys have been doing Cuba tours for a while. I came across them when cycling across Canada in
1997. The bike shop gave me excellent service including driving me to post office to mail home
several extra foldable tyres I had purchased from them. I've browsed their Cuba web site some
including some of the standard questions for US citizens wishing to visit Cuba. I don't have any
other association (or any contact) with this bike shop, other than as a happy customer of Gordon
MacQueen in 1997.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Thanks, Randy. Do you remember his name? "Randy Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> I did a search but came up empty looking for a guy who most recently
toured
> Madagascar, but the year before did a trip around Cuba and gave us an excellent report. Someone
> else will surely leave a link. "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route
> recommendation?
> > As well as other traveling tips? I know Lonely planet has a specific book about this subject.
> > But i would like to hear more about it. Many thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Mpt
Anybody cycled in Cuba? Any hotel/casa particular and route recommendation? As well as other
traveling tips? I know Lonely planet has a specific book about this subject. But i would like to
hear more about it. Many thanks in advance.

Hi, I am busy organising a cycling trip to Cuba in Dec 2004 return Jan 2005. The plan roughly is to ride to Pinar del Rio, hire a car there or take a Viazul bus to Holgiun, cylcle the North Orient and cut down to Santiago de Cuba via Cueto. Then onto Bayamo, down the main route to Santa Clara, Trinidad, Cienfugos, Bay of Pigs Australia, Varadero and finish in La Habana. Do yourself a favour and buy Barbara and Wally Smith's book Bicycling Cuba.
Good Luck.

We did the part from Havana to Vinales. Great ride and friendly cubans. Then we basically bumped
around in Trinidad without big cycling exercises for another week. The night life in Trinidad is
quite an experience. We might go back to Cuba at the end of this year to try other routes.

news:[email protected]...