Cycling.tv on TV?

Cat Dailey

Guest
Quick q...I have high speed cable tv as well as internet. Is there a way to
watch my cycling.tv feed (streaming internet video) through my actual
television? I know there must be a way, but everything I've googled comes
up the other way around (watching tv on computer).

Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in some direction...

Cat

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:

> Quick q...I have high speed cable tv as well as internet. Is there a way to
> watch my cycling.tv feed (streaming internet video) through my actual
> television? I know there must be a way, but everything I've googled comes
> up the other way around (watching tv on computer).
>
> Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in some direction...
>
> Cat

Provided you have the right equipment, which isn't very expensive,
it's the easiest thing in the world

Look at it this way - whatever "magic" is performed with the video
feed, it is sent to the crt or whatever your box uses for visual
disply in a standard format

You simply need to grab the signal being sent to the crt and convert
it to PAL, SECAM or NTSC unless our TV is capable of doubling as a
monitor

This should get you started:

http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html

--
Le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
Vote Rigging anyone - it's not illegal appparently

"Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Quick q...I have high speed cable tv as well as internet. Is there a way
>> watch my cycling.tv feed (streaming internet video) through my actual
>> television? I know there must be a way, but everything I've googled
>> comes
>> up the other way around (watching tv on computer).
>>
>> Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in some direction...
>>
>> Cat
>>

> Provided you have the right equipment, which isn't very expensive,
> it's the easiest thing in the world
>
> Look at it this way - whatever "magic" is performed with the video
> feed, it is sent to the crt or whatever your box uses for visual
> disply in a standard format
>
> You simply need to grab the signal being sent to the crt and convert
> it to PAL, SECAM or NTSC unless our TV is capable of doubling as a
> monitor
>
> This should get you started:
>
> http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html
>
> --

Thank you very much!

Cat

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:

> > Provided you have the right equipment, which isn't very expensive,
> > it's the easiest thing in the world
> >
> > Look at it this way - whatever "magic" is performed with the video
> > feed, it is sent to the crt or whatever your box uses for visual
> > disply in a standard format
> >
> > You simply need to grab the signal being sent to the crt and convert
> > it to PAL, SECAM or NTSC unless our TV is capable of doubling as a
> > monitor
> >
> > This should get you started:
> >
> > http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html
> >
> > --

> Thank you very much!

No problemo

If you run into trouble, just shout

--
Le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
That you can read, thank a Teacher

"Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>> > Provided you have the right equipment, which isn't very expensive,
>> > it's the easiest thing in the world
>> >
>> > Look at it this way - whatever "magic" is performed with the video
>> > feed, it is sent to the crt or whatever your box uses for visual
>> > disply in a standard format
>> >
>> > You simply need to grab the signal being sent to the crt and convert
>> > it to PAL, SECAM or NTSC unless our TV is capable of doubling as a
>> > monitor
>> >
>> > This should get you started:
>> >
>> > http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html
>> >
>> > --

>> Thank you very much!

> No problemo
>
> If you run into trouble, just shout

Not trouble, but do you happen to know if there is a way to do it
wirelessly, since my internet is wireless? That would be the BOMB...

Cat

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Thank you very much!

> > No problemo
> >
> > If you run into trouble, just shout

> Not trouble, but do you happen to know if there is a way to do it
> wirelessly, since my internet is wireless? That would be the BOMB...

Simply put, it is just a matter of redirecting the video output from
the crt on your computer to the television screen which involves
converting it to your local standard [SECAM, PAL OR NTSC]

There are cards which will do this and if your computer is recent, it
probably already has the necessary one installed. There is no
universally accepted standard yet, but the S-Video will handle both
the 4 pin and 7 pin versions - others may differ - I do not know

The source of input the input to your box is immaterial

You are simply redirecting from one viewing device to another

Unless you are contemplating a wireless transmission from your
computer to the TV which I seriously doubt and would not recommend as
you would then be rebroadasting and a passing foxhunter would probably
be able to pick up your transmission. And in any case, the necessary
equipment to do this would be rather expensive

Here is another reference
http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_connect_pc2tv.php

and some more reading
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/onyourpc.html
http://download.nvidia.com/solaris/1.0-8178/README/appendix-h.html

--
Le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
Russia: Free Speech for all At Last

"Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > No problemo
>> >
>> > If you run into trouble, just shout

>> Not trouble, but do you happen to know if there is a way to do it
>> wirelessly, since my internet is wireless? That would be the BOMB...
>>

> Simply put, it is just a matter of redirecting the video output from
> the crt on your computer to the television screen which involves
> converting it to your local standard [SECAM, PAL OR NTSC]
>
> There are cards which will do this and if your computer is recent, it
> probably already has the necessary one installed. There is no
> universally accepted standard yet, but the S-Video will handle both
> the 4 pin and 7 pin versions - others may differ - I do not know
>
> The source of input the input to your box is immaterial
>
> You are simply redirecting from one viewing device to another
>
> Unless you are contemplating a wireless transmission from your
> computer to the TV which I seriously doubt and would not recommend as
> you would then be rebroadasting and a passing foxhunter would probably
> be able to pick up your transmission. And in any case, the necessary
> equipment to do this would be rather expensive
>
> Here is another reference
> http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_connect_pc2tv.php
>
> and some more reading
> http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/onyourpc.html
> http://download.nvidia.com/solaris/1.0-8178/README/appendix-h.html
>
> --

Davey:

Thank you so much for all of your help! I will read all of this pronto.
And I was thinking of a wireless computer-TV transmission, so maybe this
research will help me figure out why or why not to try. In any event, we
ordered the intel cable that you pointed me to.

Thank you so much,

Cat

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:

> Davey:
>
> Thank you so much for all of your help! I will read all of this pronto.
> And I was thinking of a wireless computer-TV transmission, so maybe this
> research will help me figure out why or why not to try. In any event, we
> ordered the intel cable that you pointed me to.
>
> Thank you so much,
>
> Cat

OK - good luck

I take it you are more interested in the experimental aspects of the
project rather than having to transmit from your box to the TV out of
necessity, since the project, whilst decidedly not impossible, is
quite tricky and stringing cable is a much easier alternative.

I don't know if you have a radio license or not, but if you do you
will be at least generally aware of the FCC rules and regulations

If you don't have a licence, you may still transmit/broadcast

But read up on the FCC rules etc before buying any parts or equipment.

Watch your power output on your transmitter though and run QRP being
very careful not to propagate a signal that might interfere with the
commercial broadcasters or you will have big-brother on your tail

If you do have a licanse, I sometimes hang out on 40 meters, CW with a
QRP sardine can homebrew rig.

--
Le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
Avram builds a Deck

> If you do have a licanse, I sometimes hang out on 40 meters, CW with a
> QRP sardine can homebrew rig.

There are 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz TV "senders." In america
the FCC allows non-part 97 operation for such equipment
in a portion of ham allocations and elsewhere. It is
totally legit. These machines don't receive an allocation
and are required not to interfer with primary or secondary
users.

Bill N1EY(I'm on 20 and 17 SSB most of the time)

--
---
William O'Hara