Cycling.tv with Linux Firefox and mplayer plug-in

mike

Guest
Can anyone suggest any ideas to get cycling.tv working on Linux? My
mplayer plug-in in firefox will play the first highlight but then will
go blank when the feed switches for the first time to a commercial. It
will not recover.

Here's my specs:

Firefox: 1.0.7
mplayer plugin-in: 3.15
xorg: 6.8.2
video card: GeForce Ultra
nvidia drivers: 1.0.7174
kde 3.4.1

Kernel: Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 16 09:53:04 EST
2005 i686
PC: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux 768 megs
of ram

I run Ubuntu which comes stock with the totem-mozilla plugin. Plays
most everything embedded, if I use the Totem-xine engine instead of the
gstreamer back-end.

Worth a shot. :)

I like mplayer too, just never got the plugin to play nice.

mike wrote:
> Can anyone suggest any ideas to get cycling.tv working on Linux? My
> mplayer plug-in in firefox will play the first highlight but then will
> go blank when the feed switches for the first time to a commercial. It
> will not recover.
>
> Here's my specs:
>
> Firefox: 1.0.7
> mplayer plugin-in: 3.15
> xorg: 6.8.2
> video card: GeForce Ultra
> nvidia drivers: 1.0.7174
> kde 3.4.1
>
> Kernel: Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 16 09:53:04 EST
> 2005 i686
> PC: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux 768 megs
> of ram

Well, Cycling.tv is really choppy on my system (Slackware 10.1, Firefox
1.0.7, with mplayer). Its choppy because of the small cache, set by
default, in the mplayerplugin. Anyhow, I play the click from cycling.tv
and do a ps -auxwww | grep mplayer. I then get the source of the video
clip, or any media for that matter, and I play it from command line with
an excessive -cache setting, I usually specify a 50000 value which works
well for most clips. Its a bit more work but the result is a lot more
satisfying :) If the clip parameters do not change then you can create
an alias and you do not have to repeat the process :)

Hope it helps,

George

I just tried it with FF 1.0.7, mozilla-totem, and totem-xine on a
pretty unimpressive system:1ghz CPU, 256mb ram, and an onboard Intel
i810 card with 16mb shared vram. **** 228k DSL connection.

Embedded and worked perfectly. w00t!

Embedded wmv tends to work better than embedded qt with
totem-mozilla--I will make no claims of stability, but it's pretty
impressive.

Give it a shot