cycling twice a day compared to once?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by runner_guy2381, Mar 28, 2007.

1. runner_guy2381

runner_guy2381 New Member

I'm new to bike training and I'm just wondering wether it is more beneficial to ride twice a day at a faster speed, or once a day much longer but slower. Also what is a normal weekly mileage for a competetive cyclist.

Tags:

2. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Welcome. :)

One workout per day vs. two is pretty much dependent on one's time availability. If you want to ride at faster speeds for shorter periods, they can still be done in one sitting per day by doing an interval workout (for example, 30 minutes fast, then rest for 5-10 minutes, then another 30 minutes fast). Interval workouts are very effective at improving fitness.

Competitive pro, or competitive newbie? ;)

3. runner_guy2381

runner_guy2381 New Member

well not pro but pretty competitive, well beyond newbie. I've been a longtime runner and swimmer, so i have plenty of experience with enderance sports, just trying to learn the ropes while switching to cycling full time.

4. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I'd guess 100-150 mi/wk is the neighborhood for the beginner race categories in which you'll first be competing.

5. Ergoman

Ergoman New Member

I was fortunate to be able to train twice a day for a few years. In my experience, it was more beneficial that training once. Don't ask me why, but I definitely raced better on a twice a day training schedule.

If you can get in about 150-200 quality miles a week and if you give yourself time to develop properly and if you have the reasonable ability, you should kick ass all the way up to Cat 3. After that you really have to have above average talent and/or work harder.

6. mikeyp123

mikeyp123 New Member

same experience here. I've recently been riding twice a day, since I started commuting on the bike. It's a time-trial to work, then a long training ride back in the hills. I took a winter off from cycling, and it's coming back faster than expected.

7. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

+ 1... in my experience two workouts a day are better than one.. improvement in fitness goes up really fast... but wouldn't do it everyday (maybe twice a week)... and not the same workout.. do a more intense, shorter duration workout earlier in the day.. you want to do quality workouts at the correct intensity and that will be much easier to acheive if you do a less intense workout after the more intense one... same as you would do for consecutive day over day workouts...