Cycling Underwear

RYOUNG

Jun 13, 2004
Hello

A female friend of mine is becoming interested in cycling.

She is concerned about not wearing underwear under Cycling Shorts. She feels that she would be happier wearing underwear underneath the shorts. I have tried to explain to her that this is not a good idea.

How can I convince her that this is not a good idea?

i don't know how 'close' you two are, but be a gentleman and explain it this way.

cycling shorts are made for cycling. they are made to be worn directly next to the skin, not with underwear. underwear will definately cause chafing, ride up in uncomfortable places, and not breathe or protect as well as cycling shorts.

and no one will be able to tell you're not wearing underwear.

now, take that gal riding!

RYOUNG said:
Hello

She is concerned about not wearing underwear under Cycling Shorts. She feels that she would be happier wearing underwear underneath the shorts. I have tried to explain to her that this is not a good idea.

How about a pair of mountain bike baggies that have the padded lycra shorts underneath. This might make her feel more comfortable if she has two layers between her and the world. I know I think nothing is worse than riding behind a guy who is wearing old lycra shorts that have become so thin that they leave little to the imagination. Maybe her fear is based on seeing some of these guys.

The other option is to let her wear what she wants until she learns by experience and be there to help her when she is ready to choose utility over image.

im like your cycling friend.....i always wear knickers and cycle shorts........no idea why, not cos im bothered bout what i look like, i cant wear "granny knickers" as such........jus like "as small as possible cotton...." n i dont have ne problems, dunno tho......its hardly wearing knickers really.

Well, she can learn by experience . . . but didn't her mother explain that ladies NEVER have VPL (visible panty line)?

I think it should be enough to point out to your friend that cycling shorts were designed to be worn without underwear and to let her make her own decision. If she insists on wearing underwear at least when she decides she is uncomfortable she will know that she has another option!

I wish I could remember my own thought process when I started wearing cycling shorts many years ago - I suspect that (without having friends to tell me that underwear wasn't needed) I may have started with underwear too, but I don't think that lasted too long. No underwear is definitely the way to go - but that also means that I was my shorts after every wearing...

I agree Denise, and also, one other advantage to wearing padded cycling shorts is the lack of "Camels Foot"...if you know what I mean ;-)

denisegoldberg said:
I think it should be enough to point out to your friend that cycling shorts were designed to be worn without underwear and to let her make her own decision. If she insists on wearing underwear at least when she decides she is uncomfortable she will know that she has another option!

I wish I could remember my own thought process when I started wearing cycling shorts many years ago - I suspect that (without having friends to tell me that underwear wasn't needed) I may have started with underwear too, but I don't think that lasted too long. No underwear is definitely the way to go - but that also means that I was my shorts after every wearing...

SadieKate said:
Well, she can learn by experience . . . but didn't her mother explain that ladies NEVER have VPL (visible panty line)?
My friend, I really don't know what Visible Panty Line means! Please(Please) explain me what that means! Thanks!:)

boobs said:
My friend, I really don't know what Visible Panty Line means! Please(Please) explain me what that means! Thanks!:)

Visible Panty Line is when your underwear can be seen underneath your clothing. It can be avoided by wearing a g-string instead of normal knickers.

VPL can be a problem under Cycling Shorts if underwear is worn, but as we have seen underwear should not be worn which avoids the problem of VPL.

RYOUNG said:
Hello

I always wear my pants under my cycling shorts and haven't had any problems. I just don't fancy wearing my shorts without pants, it doesn't seem hygenic to me.

Margaret McC said:
I always wear my pants under my cycling shorts and haven't had any problems. I just don't fancy wearing my shorts without pants, it doesn't seem hygenic to me.

pads in good shorts are antibacterial and probably better than regular underwear. the problem is that they don't breathe like underwear so you shouldn't stay in them too long after you finish riding.

Tell your friend she'll get used to it.

RYOUNG said:
Hello

Womens cycling shorts are not the greatest thing on earth.... "but next to it".
That's right I'm a badddd boy!

jhuskey said:
Womens cycling shorts are not the greatest thing on earth.... "but next to it".
That's right I'm a badddd boy!
you don't wear anything under cycling shorts! lucky women you are, i suffer from chaffing but i am a male and my problem is that i have big cahoonies and half the time they seem to dangle one over one side of the seat and one over the other, on several occassions i have accidently sat on one, the worst time being at the velodrome, on a fixie where stopping pedalling is not an option.

but when you suffer that kind of pain stopping pedalling is the last thing on your mind, maybe one of you women knows what your fella wears under his to prevent this occurring or do they just suffer from the chaffing caused by sweaty shorts etc ???

closesupport said:
you don't wear anything under cycling shorts! lucky women you are, i suffer from chaffing but i am a male and my problem is that i have big cahoonies and half the time they seem to dangle one over one side of the seat and one over the other, on several occassions i have accidently sat on one, the worst time being at the velodrome, on a fixie where stopping pedalling is not an option.

but when you suffer that kind of pain stopping pedalling is the last thing on your mind, maybe one of you women knows what your fella wears under his to prevent this occurring or do they just suffer from the chaffing caused by sweaty shorts etc ???

Gosh, I've never heard of that problem before :eek: . Every guy I know wears nothing under knicks. Maybe you could try a g-string to hold your front in place and minimise chafing along your bikini line (or whatever it's called in men). Prantal powder is good to reduce sweat rash and chafing after showering.

What's this about women wearing g-strings under their bike shorts. Surely this must be uncomfortable. Has anybody tried it?

Miss Meow said:
Gosh, I've never heard of that problem before :eek: . Every guy I know wears nothing under knicks. Maybe you could try a g-string to hold your front in place and minimise chafing along your bikini line (or whatever it's called in men). Prantal powder is good to reduce sweat rash and chafing after showering.
Tryed that now the perenium gets sore because of the narrow material not to comfortable but the missus likes it ;) but sex and cycling is another thread :eek:

Its abit like flossing your **** ain't it ....lol

RYOUNG said:
What's this about women wearing g-strings under their bike shorts. Surely this must be uncomfortable. Has anybody tried it?

Yes, please ladies send a full report with photos...for a purely scientific observation,of course.

jhuskey said:
Yes, please ladies send a full report with photos...for a purely scientific observation,of course.
Lol @ you huskey, you know you gotta love a tryer i hope you get loads of pictures of fatties in thongs for that where you can observe sweatrashes and rubbings to your leasure......

closesupport said:
Lol @ you huskey, you know you gotta love a tryer i hope you get loads of pictures of fatties in thongs for that where you can observe sweatrashes and rubbings to your leasure......

Some individuals love that sort of vision.....me not being included in that particular scene. Each to their own!