Cycling Underwear

jhuskey said:
Some individuals love that sort of vision.....me not being included in that particular scene. Each to their own!
Guilty as charged, i like big woman more cushion for the pushing hey!

Sorry off topic.... Ladies

back to the subject a few times with underwear and the shorts and she will choose to go commando

I've seen cycling underwear out there.....padded undies to be worn with regular shorts. At least convince her not to buy the cheap bike shorts, they wear out wayyy to fast.

"...why can't i ride, I'm pregnant not dying!"

closesupport said:
you don't wear anything under cycling shorts! lucky women you are, i suffer from chaffing but i am a male and my problem is that i have big cahoonies and half the time they seem to dangle one over one side of the seat and one over the other, on several occassions i have accidently sat on one, the worst time being at the velodrome, on a fixie where stopping pedalling is not an option.

but when you suffer that kind of pain stopping pedalling is the last thing on your mind, maybe one of you women knows what your fella wears under his to prevent this occurring or do they just suffer from the chaffing caused by sweaty shorts etc ???
HAHA...now i dont wana get off topic,...but im 13 and i totally understand mate...:p...been there done that

~Scott

Well... my friend Beth who got me into cycling forgot to mention the whole "no underwear necessary" talk. So I wore them for a while. No major chaffing... but recently as I changed seats and started logging tons more hours for my tour, i was findng it uncomfortable and then a friend was like you are wearing what????? but my only concern is that on my tour I will be with four guys. So changing should be interesting! However I don't wanna deal with chaffing when i have 6300 miles to bike!
D

TrekCyclerChic said:
Well... my friend Beth who got me into cycling forgot to mention the whole "no underwear necessary" talk. So I wore them for a while. No major chaffing... but recently as I changed seats and started logging tons more hours for my tour, i was findng it uncomfortable and then a friend was like you are wearing what????? but my only concern is that on my tour I will be with four guys. So changing should be interesting! However I don't wanna deal with chaffing when i have 6300 miles to bike!
D
Been there done that, got a blister :eek:, promise to never never never put anything on under cycling shorts ever again. But really, it was on the first day of a 2 day 200 mile ride. Taking a shower was pure torture - like washing out a paper cut with soap, but you know where it was - and riding the next day was a wee bit painful so I have joined the ranks of the pantylineless forever.

TrekCyclerChic said:
question... what do you girls do when it's "that time of the month"?
just curious. thanks
Diana

www.crazygirlonabike.com
Pick unnecessary fights, eat chocolate, shop excessively.......oh you meant what do I do about underwear? ;)

Seriously though, I'm glad you asked, I was wondering the same thing. It's back to underwear under the shorts for that particular week, for me.

denisegoldberg said:
I think it should be enough to point out to your friend that cycling shorts were designed to be worn without underwear and to let her make her own decision. If she insists on wearing underwear at least when she decides she is uncomfortable she will know that she has another option!

I wish I could remember my own thought process when I started wearing cycling shorts many years ago - I suspect that (without having friends to tell me that underwear wasn't needed) I may have started with underwear too, but I don't think that lasted too long. No underwear is definitely the way to go - but that also means that I was my shorts after every wearing...
I guess I'm about to sound really stupid but I never thought not to wear underwear. Now I suppose I'll really shock you. I wear boxer type workout shorts with a thin lining which I suppose could act as underwear. The lining is transparent though. Please describe what you mean by cycling shorts. Would these be the skin tight black lycra ones? Do they have some type of vented lining in the crotch area for us ladies?

Scottish Roadrunner said:
I always wear my pants under my cycling shorts and haven't had any problems.
What is the longest ride you have ever ridden?

If you ride a long ride you will soon learn why one does not wear underwear with cycling shorts. I learned after my first century ride. I could not sit, without feeling pain for 4 days. Without the shorts you chafe and get, for lack of a better term, dipper rash.:(

Scottish Roadrunner said:
I just don't fancy wearing my shorts without pants, it doesn't seem hygienic to me.
It is hygienic because you have the pad there, (new shorts have antibacterial agents in them) and you wash your shorts after every ride.

basso97 said:

If you ride a long ride you will soon learn why one does not wear underwear with cycling shorts. I learned after my first century ride. I could not sit, without feeling pain for 4 days. Without the shorts you chafe and get, for lack of a better term, dipper rash.:(

It is hygienic because you have the pad there, (new shorts have antibacterial agents in them) and you wash your shorts after every ride.
I normally only ride for 1/2 hr at a time and until recently have ridden standing because I find the seat so uncomfortable. I guess this is where the padding comes in. Sorry to sound continuously stupid but I haven't been riding very long. I do, however want to go on longer rides. Laps around the neighborhood are really getting dull. What do these shorts look like, how cool are they in summer and can I get them for a reasonable price? I know I will pay a lot of money for them in a bike shop.

closesupport said:
you don't wear anything under cycling shorts! lucky women you are, i suffer from chaffing but i am a male and my problem is that i have big cahoonies and half the time they seem to dangle one over one side of the seat and one over the other, on several occassions i have accidently sat on one, the worst time being at the velodrome, on a fixie where stopping pedalling is not an option.

but when you suffer that kind of pain stopping pedalling is the last thing on your mind, maybe one of you women knows what your fella wears under his to prevent this occurring or do they just suffer from the chaffing caused by sweaty shorts etc ???
They must sell shorts for men that address this issue specifically they do for every other sport. How about Specialized brand? They seem to be into preventive sports medicine. I only am learning about this issue very recently myself and am trying to find out more about ladies shorts. I guess you should look on the bright side, I doubt this is something which is problematic for you except for when you are on your bike. I do feel sympathy for your pain and hope you don't have to endure it for long. If you look at it on the flip side though, women aren't exactly anatomically suited for cycling seats either.

basso97 said:

The longest I've ridden is just over 50 miles and I haven't had a problem with undies:confused:

wackydeirdre said:
I normally only ride for 1/2 hr at a time and until recently have ridden standing because I find the seat so uncomfortable. I guess this is where the padding comes in. Sorry to sound continuously stupid but I haven't been riding very long. I do, however want to go on longer rides. Laps around the neighborhood are really getting dull. What do these shorts look like, how cool are they in summer and can I get them for a reasonable price? I know I will pay a lot of money for them in a bike shop.
Go online. Supergo (www.supergo.com) and Performance (www.performancebike.com) have women's shorts on sale for $20 right now. There are the standard lycra cycling shorts and baggy shorts with padded inserts available, but I can't recommend the baggy ones. The inserts have a tendancy to roll up and become uncomfortable. Wearing tight cycling shorts may feel silly at first, but you will appreciate them in the end.

You probably should also look into your saddle. You really should not be having problems on rides of 1/2 hour, padded shorts or not. Make sure your saddle is at the proper height and not tipped up or down, all of which can cause you pain. You might think about switching to a saddle with a cut out too. I got a Terry with a nice hole in it and it is much much more comfortable.

Eden said:
Go online. Supergo (www.supergo.com) and Performance (www.performancebike.com) have women's shorts on sale for $20 right now. There are the standard lycra cycling shorts and baggy shorts with padded inserts available, but I can't recommend the baggy ones. The inserts have a tendancy to roll up and become uncomfortable. Wearing tight cycling shorts may feel silly at first, but you will appreciate them in the end.

You probably should also look into your saddle. You really should not be having problems on rides of 1/2 hour, padded shorts or not. Make sure your saddle is at the proper height and not tipped up or down, all of which can cause you pain. You might think about switching to a saddle with a cut out too. I got a Terry with a nice hole in it and it is much much more comfortable.
Thanks, Is the cutout for comfort or to help the shorts be more breathable?

wackydeirdre said:
They must sell shorts for men that address this issue specifically they do for every other sport. How about Specialized brand? They seem to be into preventive sports medicine. I only am learning about this issue very recently myself and am trying to find out more about ladies shorts. I guess you should look on the bright side, I doubt this is something which is problematic for you except for when you are on your bike. I do feel sympathy for your pain and hope you don't have to endure it for long. If you look at it on the flip side though, women aren't exactly anatomically suited for cycling seats either.
well, under recent study shorts for men are the last of are consern. they say that seats are the first thing a male should look for because for us guys the seat cuts of blood supply to are you know whats...so that screws us up for later, uhh, after dark problems shall we say...so my advice to any guy haven a problem with there testes and blamen it on the shorts is look at the new specilized seats designd for men *dont member the name* you get a sizing chart for them and sit on it and it tells you your "size" for a seat

~Scott

Muddy Beast said:
well, under recent study shorts for men are the last of are consern. they say that seats are the first thing a male should look for because for us guys the seat cuts of blood supply to are you know whats...so that screws us up for later, uhh, after dark problems shall we say...so my advice to any guy haven a problem with there testes and blamen it on the shorts is look at the new specilized seats designd for men *dont member the name* you get a sizing chart for them and sit on it and it tells you your "size" for a seat

~Scott
Hi Scott!~Me again. I'm glad you found some solution for your discomfort. From what I remember the Specialized seats were fairly expensive but well worth the money for you I have no doubt. I was in bike store in Manhattan a couple of weeks back and was shown one as I was also having some discomfort with my seat. The guy at the shop told me though the seats were originally designed for Men, a fair amount of women had been using them and finding them more comfortable. I decided to first send a thread out regarding it before buying a new seat and one woman told me to make sure my seat was completely level. Once I leveled the seat it was far more comfortable.
I like your profile and don't find it strange at all. Everyone has their own interests.

wackydeirdre said:
Thanks, Is the cutout for comfort or to help the shorts be more breathable?

Both. The nice little hole relieves pressure on the more sensitive parts of ones anatomy and keeps you cooler. People talk about hot foot, well with my old non-anatomical saddle long rides used to give me hot ummmmm....
I wouldn't ever go back.