Cycling Underwear

predagin

Jun 16, 2015
I would like to get some padding for my rear but still wear gym shorts. Is cycling underwear a good choice? Have people found it useful?

When I first was riding and didn't want to be lycra'd out, I just wore normal bike shorts with a pair of gym or running shorts over them. You could also get the baggy mountain bike padded shorts.

padded liner shorts, for cycling, and actual bike shorts are about the same cost..

(pricing of bike shorts can get expensive , in premium brands)

I use cycling shorts under other shorts. I did have a pair of cycling "liners" or underwear that came with mountain bike over-shorts but didn't like the fit, so I removed the liner and just use the bike shorts I like under those very same mountain bike shorts. I prefer thin liners cuz I have a great and comfortable saddle. But I used to get the regular thicker lined bike shorts. You might have to go thru a few pair to find some you like a lot. You can't really tell trying them on in a dressing room over your underwear, aside from maybe the overall fit. You need to put some miles on them.

Most of the cycling clothes brands make padded underwear to use with baggy shorts or street clothes. Pearl Izumi even has padded bib underwear (mostly made from a lightweight mesh). As with all cycling clothes, quality varies with price, but for short rides, comfort isn't that important. If you have a padded saddle, you may not even need padded shorts for rides of less than an hour or two.

I would think that padded underwear made especially for cyclists is the best thing out there. Personally, I use boxers underneath my cycling leggings. Before, I used briefs under the cycling leggings and it caused some discomfort.

I've got several pairs of Endura padded cycling underwear that I use under long/ winter tights. They don't chafe, and they've held up to washing well.
Slightly cheaper than the cheapest cycling pants, and warmer. Quite important for winter use.

1). It's not "padding". It's a chamois. Cycling shorts have them for a reason. The reason is not to cushion your ass from the saddle. Once you find the right saddle for your butt, you won't need "padding". What you need is a chamois to help wick away the ball and ass sweat that causes what we know as "swamp ass" and which is what leads to saddle sores. All the padding in the world won't save you from a saddle that's an ass hatchet.

2). Anything that has seams is going to chafe the **** out of your ass and thighs on a long ride. Cycling shorts are seamless.

3). Anything made from cotton, or a cotton/poly bend, is going to stay soaked once it's soaked (with either sweat or rain). Trapped moisture in your nether regions leads to swamp ass, and for that, see 1).

4). Secure people don't give a rat's ass about what other people think, or snicker about behind their backs, or even to their faces. Get over the self consciousness of wearing proper cycling gear for long rides. Comfort trumps embarrassment in my book.

You think guy with an Olympic silver medal, and a few TdF stage wins, in his palmares gives a flying eff about the snickers he might get? :D

Attachments

• steve.bauer.jpg
    steve.bauer.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 17
mpre53 said:
You think guy with an Olympic silver medal, and a few TdF stage wins, in his palmares gives a flying eff about the snickers he might get? :D
Steve's put on a few pounds. It's good to see him still lining up though. No snickers from me. I've watched him destroy Pro-1-2 fields.

Wearing cycling underwear can improve your cycling comfort. The cycling underwear protects the rider from the jarring vibration from normal road and off-road conditions.