Cycling Underwear

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by C Keller, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. C Keller

    C Keller Guest

    I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    cycling shorts.

    BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    day rides.

    I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just for
    wearing under your cycling shorts.

    Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    comfortable?

    Enquiring behinds want to know.

    Casey Keller

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT, "C Keller" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    >cycling shorts.
    >
    >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    >to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    >day rides.

    Your dermatologist is obviously not a cyclist.

    >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    >for wearing under your cycling shorts.

    They do. These are fairly widely available.

    The more immediate solution to your problem, however, is a
    combination of two things:

    carry more shorts

    AND

    wash the ones you have.

    All the underwear in the world is of no use if it's not
    washed, either.

    -Luigi

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT,
    <[email protected]>, "C Keller"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    >to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    >day rides.
    >
    >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    >for wearing under your cycling shorts.

    They're a padded liner. Like cycling shorts except with
    shorter legs, lighter weight fabric and a flat waistband.
    They're made for wearing under regular clothing. Get two
    pairs and keep them clean.

    Try "Tea Tree" oil for treating or preventing skin
    infections.
    --
    zk

  4. C Keller <[email protected]> wrote:
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    > multi-day rides.

    I'm not sure how that would help -- unless you're thinking
    of brining one pair for each day of the ride?

    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > for wearing under your cycling shorts.

    They're actually meant for when you're *not* wearing padded
    shorts. Quite useful with cycling tights. (Not that you
    couldn't wear them under shorts, unless they're too snug.)

    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    > comfortable?

    Wearing them at this very moment. (Back from a short
    ride at +3C.)

    I find them comfortable enough, though maybe not as
    comfortable as a real pair of padded shorts. OTOH, I
    don't get the urge to remove them as soon as I'm off the
    bike either.

    --
    Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

    => <[email protected]> IS NO MORE:
    => <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

  5. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote:

    >I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    >cycling shorts.
    >
    >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    >to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    >day rides.
    >
    >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    >for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    >Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    >comfortable?
    >
    >Enquiring behinds want to know.

    They are designed to be worn instead of cycling shorts, not
    under padded cycling shorts. I bought a pair once and threw
    them away after just two wearings. Others have had better
    luck with them. If infections are the problem, do you wash
    your shorts after every ride?

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  6. Cheg

    Cheg Guest

    "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    > cycling shorts.
    >
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is
    > urging me to
    wear some
    > to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-day rides.
    >
    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs
    > just for
    wearing under
    > your cycling shorts.
    >
    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    comfortable?

    > Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    > Casey Keller

    I like the Andiamo shorts. They work well with rain pants,
    which is handy for riding in Seattle. They can also be worn
    by themselves if the weather changes. Riding in street
    clothes is more comfortable as well.

  7. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT, "C Keller" <[email protected]> from SBC
    http://yahoo.sbc.com wrote:

    >I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    >cycling shorts.
    >
    >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    >to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    >day rides.
    >
    >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    >for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    >Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    >comfortable?
    >
    >Enquiring behinds want to know.

    I have a pair, and I don't like them much. The waistband is
    poorly made, the fabric feels like cheesecloth, and the
    padding isn't that great.

    Your dermatologist is wrong. Another layer of shorts isn't
    going to help.

    What you should do instead is change your shorts after a
    few hours. Also, try some talcum powder or a cream like
    Chamois Butt'r.

    --
    [email protected]
    Don't stress one thing more than another.

  8. C Keller wrote:
    > I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    > cycling shorts.
    >
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    > multi-day rides.
    >
    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    > comfortable?
    >
    > Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    > Casey Keller

    Whenever I get saddle sores I'll use any babylotion that
    contains Zink. The only times I've had problems with this is
    when not washing my shorts after every ride. In the winter
    though it seems I put too many shorts on to keep my butt
    warm, which results in being constantly moist in the crotch
    ;) and this also leads up to more saddle sores than normal.

    --
    Perre

  9. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT, "C Keller"
    > <[email protected]> from SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com
    > wrote:
    > >
    > >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > >for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    > >
    > >Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are
    > >they comfortable?
    > >
    > >Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    > I have a pair, and I don't like them much. The waistband
    > is poorly made, the fabric feels like cheesecloth, and the
    > padding isn't that great.

    This describes my experience exactly. I never wear the
    pair I bought.

    > Your dermatologist is wrong. Another layer of shorts isn't
    > going to help.
    >
    > What you should do instead is change your shorts after a
    > few hours. Also,
    try
    > some talcum powder or a cream like Chamois Butt'r.

    I'd recommend "A&D" ointment. This is simply a mix of
    Vaseline and lanolin, which both lubricates and, more
    importantly prevents the breakdown of skin from moisture.
    For healing broken skin, I like "Balmex", an ointment with
    zinc oxide as the active ingredient. Both of these were
    recommended by our pediatrician to prevent/treat diaper rash
    -- a very similar problem.

  10. "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT, "C Keller"
    > > <[email protected]> from
    SBC
    > > http://yahoo.sbc.com wrote:
    > > >
    > > >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs
    > > >just for wearing
    under
    > > >your cycling shorts.
    > > >
    > > >Does anybody out there have experience with them?
    > > >Are they
    comfortable?

    > > >Enquiring behinds want to know.
    > >
    > > I have a pair, and I don't like them much. The waistband
    > > is poorly made,
    the
    > > fabric feels like cheesecloth, and the padding isn't
    > > that great.
    >
    > This describes my experience exactly. I never wear the
    > pair I bought.

    Ditto. I bought a knock-off from the Nashbar catalog. I
    think I donated mine to the Goodwill. They chafed badly
    along the band across the thighs.

    > I'd recommend "A&D" ointment. This is simply a mix of
    > Vaseline and
    lanolin,
    > which both lubricates and, more importantly prevents the
    > breakdown of skin from moisture. For healing broken skin,
    > I like "Balmex", an ointment with
    zinc
    > oxide as the active ingredient. Both of these were
    > recommended by our pediatrician to prevent/treat diaper
    > rash -- a very similar problem.

    If you can get a brand of diaper rash cream that has both
    zinc and cod liver oil (available in Britain, much harder to
    get in the US), this is the best stuff available, I think.
    But remember that zinc is a heavy metal and will contaminate
    the water supply, so don't use it unless you need to.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky

    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    Email me re: the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)

  11. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    > cycling shorts.
    >
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    > multi-day rides.
    >
    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    > comfortable?
    >
    > Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    > Casey Keller

    I've got a pair of the Andiamo briefs that I purchased from
    Rivendell Bicycles and they work fine, although my Volers or
    Nashbar bibs would still get the call on a long serious
    ride. Colorado Cyclist also handles them. One nice thing
    about them is that they dry quickly after being washed. The
    Performance undershorts I have also work well under regular
    shorts. Smokey Strodtman

  12. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    "Per Elmsater" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Whenever I get saddle sores I'll use any babylotion that
    > contains Zink.

    http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/zink.htm

    Ground up Cornetts? As much as I'm a fan of music, I don't
    think thats the solution here.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep

  13. Dane Jackson wrote:
    > "Per Elmsater" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Whenever I get saddle sores I'll use any babylotion that
    >> contains Zink.
    >
    > http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/zink.htm
    >
    > Ground up Cornetts? As much as I'm a fan of music, I don't
    > think thats the solution here.

    Hey did you listen to them Cornetts? No wonder my saddle
    sores went away. As did my riding buddys ;(
    --
    Perre

  14. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Claire Petersky wrote:

    > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote
    > in message news:[email protected]_s03...
    > > "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT, "C Keller"
    > > > <[email protected]> from
    > SBC

    > under

    > comfortable?

    > > > I have a pair, and I don't like them much. The
    > > > waistband is poorly made,
    > the
    > > > fabric feels like cheesecloth, and the padding isn't
    > > > that great.
    > >
    > > This describes my experience exactly. I never wear the
    > > pair I bought.
    >
    > Ditto. I bought a knock-off from the Nashbar catalog. I
    > think I donated mine to the Goodwill. They chafed badly
    > along the band across the thighs.
    >
    > > I'd recommend "A&D" ointment. This is simply a mix of
    > > Vaseline and
    > lanolin,
    > > which both lubricates and, more importantly prevents the
    > > breakdown of skin from moisture. For healing broken
    > > skin, I like "Balmex", an ointment with
    > zinc
    > > oxide as the active ingredient. Both of these were
    > > recommended by our pediatrician to prevent/treat diaper
    > > rash -- a very similar problem.
    >
    > If you can get a brand of diaper rash cream that has both
    > zinc and cod liver oil (available in Britain, much harder
    > to get in the US), this is the best stuff available, I
    > think. But remember that zinc is a heavy metal and will
    > contaminate the water supply, so don't use it unless you
    > need to.

    Desitin? I bought that stuff by the pound when my shrimps
    were tiny. Unfortunately, it didn't help. I would have
    killed for Huggies!

    --
    Cheers, Bev

    "The federal government has taken too much tax money from
    the people, too much authority from the states, and too much
    liberty with the Constitution." -- Ronald Reagan

  15. C Keller

    C Keller Guest

    Luigi...

    Thanks for your note.

    Perhaps I should have been clearer in my initial posting. I
    DO wash my shorts. Really I do. Every time I ride. And I
    shower after each ride as well. I swear it.

    Casey Keller

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT, "C Keller"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out cycling
    > >shorts.
    > >
    > >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > >me to wear
    some
    > >to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-day rides.
    >
    > Your dermatologist is obviously not a cyclist.
    >

    > >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > >for wearing
    under
    > >your cycling shorts.
    >
    > They do. These are fairly widely available.
    >
    > The more immediate solution to your problem, however, is a
    > combination of two things:
    >
    > carry more shorts
    >
    > AND
    >
    > wash the ones you have.
    >
    > All the underwear in the world is of no use if it's not
    > washed, either.
    >
    > -Luigi

  16. C Keller

    C Keller Guest

    Tea Tree Oil, huh? Thanks. I will look into it.

    BTW... Zoot's a great name!

    Casey

    "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:42 GMT,
    > <[email protected]>, "C
    > Keller" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > >me to wear
    some
    > >to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-day rides.
    > >
    > >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > >for wearing
    under
    > >your cycling shorts.
    >
    > They're a padded liner. Like cycling shorts except with
    > shorter legs, lighter weight fabric and a flat waistband.
    > They're made for wearing under regular clothing. Get two
    > pairs and keep them clean.
    >
    > Try "Tea Tree" oil for treating or preventing skin
    > infections.
    > --
    > zk

  17. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:13:09 GMT,
    <[email protected]>,
    "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tea Tree Oil, huh? Thanks. I will look into it.
    >
    >BTW... Zoot's a great name!

    The cat likes it too.

    Yeah tea tree oil. Kills dandruff, nail fungus, athletes
    foot and about 21 other types of skin bacteria and fungi.
    Decent deodorant too.

    http://tinyurl.com/2r7tp
    --
    zk

  18. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:46:10 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from
    Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd. Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

    >Yeah tea tree oil. Kills dandruff, nail fungus, athletes
    >foot and about 21 other types of skin bacteria and fungi.
    >Decent deodorant too.
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2r7tp

    It's kind of harsh on my skin, and it smells medicinal. I
    don;t mind it mixed in with other things, though.

    --
    [email protected]
    Don't break the silence.