CYCLING UNDERWEAR

C Keller

Guest
I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
cycling shorts.

BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
day rides.

I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just for
wearing under your cycling shorts.

Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
comfortable?

Enquiring behinds want to know.

Casey Keller

"C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in news:Vk65c.23989$es7.9912
@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:
> BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
> me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
> multi-day rides.

How about using chamois cream? It's main purpose is to
eliminate infectionson long rides. Assos makes a good
product that is available in many bike shops.

C Keller wrote:
> I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
> cycling shorts.
>
> BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
> me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
> multi-day rides.
>
> I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
> for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>
> Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
> comfortable?
>
> Enquiring behinds want to know.
>
> Casey Keller

I have a pair of these, and I hate them. I have found that
they irritate my skin, and no matter how clean they are (and
I am) when I put them on, they always smell awful in an
hour. I would much rather wear plain boxers of any type of
material, even with seams, than this garbage.

Of course others may have different experiences.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:58:45 GMT, "C Keller" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
>cycling shorts.
>
>BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
>to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
>day rides.
>
>I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
>for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>
>Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
>comfortable?
>
>Enquiring behinds want to know.
>
>Casey Keller

Hi Casey,

When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of silk,
not nylon, underware.

Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need to make
do.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:10:57 +0000, Wort wrote:

> When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of
> silk, not nylon, underware.
>
> Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need to
> make do.

More than we needed to know.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with
a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

Andiamo also makes padded boxer-style underwear, and you can
try them under running tights. The fit is pretty snug - but
I have to admit that even though they're uncomfortable
walking, on the bike they are actually very comfortable. I
wear them under pants for commuting.

-Collin

"C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
> cycling shorts.
>
> BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
> me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
> multi-day rides.
>
> I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
> for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>
> Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
> comfortable?
>
> Enquiring behinds want to know.
>
> Casey Keller

On 3/14/04 3:58 PM, in article
[email protected], "C Keller"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
> cycling shorts.
>
> BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
> me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
> multi-day rides.
>
> I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
> for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>
> Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
> comfortable?
>
> Enquiring behinds want to know.
>
> Casey Keller

BOXERS!!

>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
>cycling shorts.
>
>BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
>to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
>day rides.

Are you wearing clean shorts every day? This means washing
them each night or carring 2 pair if they won't dry
overnight. A trick from the bad old days of wool shorts and
real chamois is to use zinc oxide-yeah, the stuff you put on
your nose-on your butt and chamois. Feels weird but works.
Phil Brown

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:10:57 GMT, Wort <[email protected]> may have said:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:58:45 GMT, "C Keller"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
>>cycling shorts.
>>
>>BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
>>me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
>>multi-day rides.
>>
>>I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
>>for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>>
>>Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
>>comfortable?
>>
>>Enquiring behinds want to know.
>>
>>Casey Keller
>>
>Hi Casey,
>
>When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of
>silk, not nylon, underware.
>
>Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need
>to make do.

You don't shop in the right places.

http://www.wintersilks.com/xq/asp/BRANCH.2~17~/qx/dept.htm

No more small hotel syndrome.

Originally posted by Werehatrack
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:10:57 GMT, Wort <[email protected]> may have said:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:58:45 GMT, "C Keller"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
>>cycling shorts.
>>
>>BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
>>me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
>>multi-day rides.
>>
>>I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
>>for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>>
>>Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
>>comfortable?
>>
>>Enquiring behinds want to know.
>>
>>Casey Keller
>>
>Hi Casey,
>
>When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of
>silk, not nylon, underware.
>
>Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need
>to make do.

You don't shop in the right places.

http://www.wintersilks.com/xq/asp/BRANCH.2~17~/qx/dept.htm

No more small hotel syndrome.

Dear Wort and Werehatrack,

Homer: Marge, you being a cop makes you the
man...which makes me the woman. I have no
interest in that, besides occasionally wearing
the underwear (which, as we discussed, is strictly
a comfort thing).

Marge: Homer, there's no reason for you to feel
threatened. You'll always be the man of this house.

Homer: Aw, thanks honey.

[they kiss; Homer bends one of his knees coquettishly]

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F21.html

Carl Fogel

Wort <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:58:45 GMT, "C Keller"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
>>cycling shorts.
>>
>>BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
>>me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
>>multi-day rides.
>>
>>I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
>>for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>>
>>Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
>>comfortable?
>>
>>Enquiring behinds want to know.
>>
>>Casey Keller
>>
> Hi Casey,
>
> When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of
> silk, not nylon, underware.
>
> Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need to
> make do.

Youch. Have a good excuse handy if you come off your bike :)

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:Vk65c.23989$es7.9912 @newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:
> > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
> > me to wear
some
> > to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-day rides.
>
> How about using chamois cream? It's main purpose is to
> eliminate infectionson long rides. Assos makes a good
> product that is available in many bike shops.

Ditto. The associated issue is being sure that your butt is
clean. Baby wipes after defecating and a good twice-daily
coat of chamois cream on the shorts will keep your butt in
good shape if you're riding all day. The Assos product is
the best I've used.

Cal

In article <[email protected]>, "WTF,O" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:Vk65c.23989$es7.9912 @newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:
> > > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is
> > > urging me to wear
> some
> > > to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-day
> > > rides.
> >
> > How about using chamois cream? It's main purpose is to
> > eliminate infectionson long rides. Assos makes a good
> > product that is available in many bike shops.
>
> Ditto. The associated issue is being sure that your butt
> is clean. Baby wipes after defecating and a good twice-
> daily coat of chamois cream on the shorts will keep your
> butt in good shape if you're riding all day. The Assos
> product is the best I've used.
>
> Cal

Don¹t you mean A$$O$..??

Now I see PI has $200US cycling shorts, too.

I have several pairs of Patagonia Capaliene(sp) silk weight
briefs that seem to do the trick.

On tours I can carry two pairs of cycling shorts and 6 or 7
pairs of the briefs. Never had a problem.

HAND

"C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote [snip]
> I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
> for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>
> Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
> comfortable?

I ordered a pair because I was hoping to leverage some of my
regular hiking / paddling shorts for MTB rides. I decided to
return the Andiamo briefs before I even made it down the
stairs to my bike. The pad was a great oblong thing -
completely unshaped and unformed, and about twice the size
in both length and width that it should have been (for me,
anyway). My humble opinion is that a pad needs to go between
your legs without splitting you apart like a firewood maul.

Obviously this is a very personal thing and what didn't work
for me might work great for you. So if you want to know for
yourself what the shorts feel like, try cutting a
rectangular piece the size of a legal clipboard from a foam
pad. An old backpacking mattress would be a good candidate.
Put it inside your underwear and then pull the whole
business on. Now try to walk. See if it feels fine to you.

- Tony

H. M. Leary wrote:

> Don¹t you mean A$$O$..??
>
> Now I see PI has $200US cycling shorts, too.

Next time you come to Switzerland send me an email, we'll go
to the factory, you'll see prices are not that high! :)

Francesco

I can live with threads that degenerate into arguments about politics, gun control, helmet/no helmet, tread/no tread, etc.

I can live with these digressions because probability dictates that, eventually, somebody will drag out a great Simpsons reference that's both germane and poignant.

Thanks, Carl!

btw: I _always_ wear my helmet :D

Originally posted by carlfogel
Dear Wort and Werehatrack,

Homer: Marge, you being a cop makes you the
man...which makes me the woman. I have no
interest in that, besides occasionally wearing
the underwear (which, as we discussed, is strictly
a comfort thing).

Marge: Homer, there's no reason for you to feel
threatened. You'll always be the man of this house.

Homer: Aw, thanks honey.

[they kiss; Homer bends one of his knees coquettishly]

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F21.html

Carl Fogel

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out cycling
>shorts. BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is
>urging me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get
>on multi-day rides. I understand a company called Andiamo!
>makes briefs just for wearing under your cycling shorts.
>Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
>comfortable? Enquiring behinds want to know.

I get the impression your dermatologist is not familiar with
bicycle clothing. Cycling shorts are made the way they are
for a reason. Using andiamo briefs is not going to help. Are
you washing your shorts after every ride? If not, that may
be the culprit.
Alex

In article <[email protected]>, "frenkatfrenk-do-t_c0m-p"@rse-this-if-
you.can says...

>Next time you come to Switzerland send me an email, we'll
>go to the factory, you'll see prices are not that high! :)

What's the address? At Assos prices a good discount will pay
for airfare to Switzerland after buying only a few items.
Alex