CYCLING UNDERWEAR

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by C Keller, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. C Keller

    C Keller Guest

    I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    cycling shorts.

    BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    day rides.

    I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just for
    wearing under your cycling shorts.

    Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    comfortable?

    Enquiring behinds want to know.

    Casey Keller

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in news:Vk65c.23989$es7.9912
    @newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    > multi-day rides.

    How about using chamois cream? It's main purpose is to
    eliminate infectionson long rides. Assos makes a good
    product that is available in many bike shops.

  3. C Keller wrote:
    > I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    > cycling shorts.
    >
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    > multi-day rides.
    >
    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    > comfortable?
    >
    > Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    > Casey Keller

    I have a pair of these, and I hate them. I have found that
    they irritate my skin, and no matter how clean they are (and
    I am) when I put them on, they always smell awful in an
    hour. I would much rather wear plain boxers of any type of
    material, even with seams, than this garbage.

    Of course others may have different experiences.

  4. Wort

    Wort Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:58:45 GMT, "C Keller" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    >cycling shorts.
    >
    >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    >to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    >day rides.
    >
    >I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    >for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    >Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    >comfortable?
    >
    >Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    >Casey Keller

    Hi Casey,

    When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of silk,
    not nylon, underware.

    Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need to make
    do.

  5. On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:10:57 +0000, Wort wrote:

    > When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of
    > silk, not nylon, underware.
    >
    > Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need to
    > make do.

    More than we needed to know.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with
    a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
    (_)/ (_) |

  6. Andiamo also makes padded boxer-style underwear, and you can
    try them under running tights. The fit is pretty snug - but
    I have to admit that even though they're uncomfortable
    walking, on the bike they are actually very comfortable. I
    wear them under pants for commuting.

    -Collin

    "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    > cycling shorts.
    >
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    > multi-day rides.
    >
    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    > comfortable?
    >
    > Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    > Casey Keller

  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 3/14/04 3:58 PM, in article
    [email protected], "C Keller"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    > cycling shorts.
    >
    > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    > multi-day rides.
    >
    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    > comfortable?
    >
    > Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >
    > Casey Keller

    BOXERS!!

  8. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    >cycling shorts.
    >
    >BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging me
    >to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-
    >day rides.

    Are you wearing clean shorts every day? This means washing
    them each night or carring 2 pair if they won't dry
    overnight. A trick from the bad old days of wool shorts and
    real chamois is to use zinc oxide-yeah, the stuff you put on
    your nose-on your butt and chamois. Feels weird but works.
    Phil Brown

  9. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:10:57 GMT, Wort <[email protected]> may have said:

    >On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:58:45 GMT, "C Keller"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    >>cycling shorts.
    >>
    >>BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    >>me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    >>multi-day rides.
    >>
    >>I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    >>for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >>
    >>Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    >>comfortable?
    >>
    >>Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >>
    >>Casey Keller
    >>
    >Hi Casey,
    >
    >When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of
    >silk, not nylon, underware.
    >
    >Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need
    >to make do.

    You don't shop in the right places.

    http://www.wintersilks.com/xq/asp/BRANCH.2~17~/qx/dept.htm

    No more small hotel syndrome.

  10. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Wort and Werehatrack,

    Homer: Marge, you being a cop makes you the
    man...which makes me the woman. I have no
    interest in that, besides occasionally wearing
    the underwear (which, as we discussed, is strictly
    a comfort thing).

    Marge: Homer, there's no reason for you to feel
    threatened. You'll always be the man of this house.

    Homer: Aw, thanks honey.

    [they kiss; Homer bends one of his knees coquettishly]

    http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F21.html

    Carl Fogel

  11. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    Wort <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:58:45 GMT, "C Keller"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out
    >>cycling shorts.
    >>
    >>BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    >>me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get on
    >>multi-day rides.
    >>
    >>I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    >>for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >>
    >>Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    >>comfortable?
    >>
    >>Enquiring behinds want to know.
    >>
    >>Casey Keller
    >>
    > Hi Casey,
    >
    > When I have a troublesome saddle sore I wear a pair of
    > silk, not nylon, underware.
    >
    > Saddly these do not come in mens fashions so I need to
    > make do.

    Youch. Have a good excuse handy if you come off your bike :)

  12. O Wtf

    O Wtf Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:Vk65c.23989$es7.9912 @newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:
    > > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is urging
    > > me to wear
    some
    > > to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-day rides.
    >
    > How about using chamois cream? It's main purpose is to
    > eliminate infectionson long rides. Assos makes a good
    > product that is available in many bike shops.

    Ditto. The associated issue is being sure that your butt is
    clean. Baby wipes after defecating and a good twice-daily
    coat of chamois cream on the shorts will keep your butt in
    good shape if you're riding all day. The Assos product is
    the best I've used.

    Cal

  13. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

  14. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Jay Hill wrote:
    >> You don't shop in the right places.
    >>
    >> http://www.wintersilks.com/xq/asp/BRANCH.2~17~/qx/d-
    >> ept.htm
    >>
    > Now I'm going to wonder what men I see on the street
    > are wearing silk underwear. I'd better give John
    > Ashcroft a call.

    Don't bother, I'm pretty sure he's a silk guy.

  15. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "WTF,O" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > news:Vk65c.23989$es7.9912 @newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:
    > > > BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is
    > > > urging me to wear
    > some
    > > > to prevent the skin infections I get on multi-day
    > > > rides.
    > >
    > > How about using chamois cream? It's main purpose is to
    > > eliminate infectionson long rides. Assos makes a good
    > > product that is available in many bike shops.
    >
    > Ditto. The associated issue is being sure that your butt
    > is clean. Baby wipes after defecating and a good twice-
    > daily coat of chamois cream on the shorts will keep your
    > butt in good shape if you're riding all day. The Assos
    > product is the best I've used.
    >
    > Cal

    Don¹t you mean A$$O$..??

    Now I see PI has $200US cycling shorts, too.

    I have several pairs of Patagonia Capaliene(sp) silk weight
    briefs that seem to do the trick.

    On tours I can carry two pairs of cycling shorts and 6 or 7
    pairs of the briefs. Never had a problem.

    HAND

  16. "C Keller" <[email protected]> wrote [snip]
    > I understand a company called Andiamo! makes briefs just
    > for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >
    > Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    > comfortable?

    I ordered a pair because I was hoping to leverage some of my
    regular hiking / paddling shorts for MTB rides. I decided to
    return the Andiamo briefs before I even made it down the
    stairs to my bike. The pad was a great oblong thing -
    completely unshaped and unformed, and about twice the size
    in both length and width that it should have been (for me,
    anyway). My humble opinion is that a pad needs to go between
    your legs without splitting you apart like a firewood maul.

    Obviously this is a very personal thing and what didn't work
    for me might work great for you. So if you want to know for
    yourself what the shorts feel like, try cutting a
    rectangular piece the size of a legal clipboard from a foam
    pad. An old backpacking mattress would be a good candidate.
    Put it inside your underwear and then pull the whole
    business on. Now try to walk. See if it feels fine to you.

    - Tony

  17. H. M. Leary wrote:

    > Don¹t you mean A$$O$..??
    >
    > Now I see PI has $200US cycling shorts, too.

    Next time you come to Switzerland send me an email, we'll go
    to the factory, you'll see prices are not that high! :)

    Francesco

  18. neil0502

    neil0502 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    I can live with threads that degenerate into arguments about politics, gun control, helmet/no helmet, tread/no tread, etc.

    I can live with these digressions because probability dictates that, eventually, somebody will drag out a great Simpsons reference that's both germane and poignant.

    Thanks, Carl!

    btw: I _always_ wear my helmet :D

  19. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >I know, I know. We don't wear underwear under out cycling
    >shorts. BUT (or should that be BUTT?) my dermatologist is
    >urging me to wear some to prevent the skin infections I get
    >on multi-day rides. I understand a company called Andiamo!
    >makes briefs just for wearing under your cycling shorts.
    >Does anybody out there have experience with them? Are they
    >comfortable? Enquiring behinds want to know.

    I get the impression your dermatologist is not familiar with
    bicycle clothing. Cycling shorts are made the way they are
    for a reason. Using andiamo briefs is not going to help. Are
    you washing your shorts after every ride? If not, that may
    be the culprit.
    Alex

  20. In article <[email protected]>, "frenkatfrenk-do-t_c0m-p"@rse-this-if-
    you.can says...

    >Next time you come to Switzerland send me an email, we'll
    >go to the factory, you'll see prices are not that high! :)

    What's the address? At Assos prices a good discount will pay
    for airfare to Switzerland after buying only a few items.
    Alex