Cycling vs Football

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  2. In article <[email protected]>, peter28 @btinternet.com says...

    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > The case for cycling:
    > >
    > > http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/main/2003/july/cycling.html
    > >
    > > The case for football:
    > >
    > > http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/main/2003/july/football.html
    >
    > I read 'em both. Why do they need comparing? Surely if a legal pastime gives pleasure it doesn't
    > need justifying and certainly not at the expense of denigrating anothers choice.

    Sheesh. They are just light-hearted articles from two guys who know each other.

    Colin

  3. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The case for football:
    ... could very easily be used as the case for darts in a "Darts vs. Football" comparison.
    Annie-ways, Combination rules is the best football on the planet, pity there is so little of it
    to be seen.

  4. In message <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
    <[email protected]_DOT_.com> writes
    >Is it the press or the UK public? This is a "cycling" newsgroup - yet there is minimal
    >interest in TdF?
    >
    >Any views on why the majority in here have no interest in the greatest sporting event on
    >the planet?

    Two reasons why there's not much discussion of the TdF here.

    1. There have been requests that people don't put information about the day's result in the
    subject lines of posts. A reasonable request which unfortunately probably deters some people
    from posting.

    2. rec.bicycles.racing is a usenet forum with lots of discussion of the TdF.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > The case for cycling:
    > >
    > > http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/main/2003/july/cycling.html
    > >
    > > The case for football:
    > >
    > > http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/main/2003/july/football.html
    >
    > I read 'em both. Why do they need comparing? Surely if a legal pastime gives pleasure it doesn't
    > need justifying and certainly not at the expense of denigrating anothers choice.

    OT why has football received 100 times more press coverage than the Tour when it's not even the
    season?. The tour will now take 101th place with the golf as well. They could always make Lance an
    honorary Brit like Ivanisovich 2 years ago.

  6. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On 18 Jul 2003 03:01:30 -0700, martin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OT why has football received 100 times more press coverage than the Tour when it's not even the
    > season?. The tour will now take 101th place with the golf as well. They could always make Lance an
    > honorary Brit like Ivanisovich 2 years ago.

    Earlier on this week on the today program, "Lance is ahead by one stroke"

    This morning who the selector might pick to play cricket somewhere got about 5 minutes, TdF got
    "Lance is still in the lead"

    Tim.

  7. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > Sheesh. They are just light-hearted articles from two guys who know each other.

    I see. That's the problem with this media. Two people I don't know but who know one another engaging
    in a bit of banter with me an outsider not in on it. Unfortunately people can show a lot of
    ignorance to others pursuits and I took the bait. Reel me in ;-)

    Pete

  8. On 18 Jul 2003 03:01:30 -0700, [email protected] (martin) wrote:

    >"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > The case for cycling:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/main/2003/july/cycling.html
    >> >
    >> > The case for football:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/main/2003/july/football.html
    >>
    >> I read 'em both. Why do they need comparing? Surely if a legal pastime gives pleasure it doesn't
    >> need justifying and certainly not at the expense of denigrating anothers choice.
    >
    >OT why has football received 100 times more press coverage than the Tour when it's not even the
    >season?. The tour will now take 101th place with the golf as well. They could always make Lance an
    >honorary Brit like Ivanisovich 2 years ago.

    Is it the press or the UK public? This is a "cycling" newsgroup - yet there is minimal
    interest in TdF?

    Any views on why the majority in here have no interest in the greatest sporting event on the planet?

    Regards! Stephen

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it the press or the UK public? This is a "cycling" newsgroup - yet there is minimal
    > interest in TdF?
    >
    > Any views on why the majority in here have no interest in the greatest sporting event on
    > the planet?

    Well me and the missus follow it devoutly every year, in my case it's probably the only sport I
    watch on tv regularly.

    I think one of the things about this group is that we are practising cyclists, "doers" <1>, rather
    than spectators and bar-room pundits. Some of the sports minded people I've met over the years in
    fact don't participate but spend hours glued to the box then return to work on Mondays spouting all
    kinds of trivia and opinions on what they've seen and read. Me, I'd sooner be out cycling,
    windsurfing or walking, amongst other things.

    <1> Age, fitness and ability are no barrier to enjoying cycling wheras they usually are in most team
    sports, as pointed out in the Tangents "Case For Cycling".

    Pete

  10. On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:54:17 +0100, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In message <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
    ><[email protected]_DOT_.com> writes
    >>Is it the press or the UK public? This is a "cycling" newsgroup - yet there is minimal
    >>interest in TdF?
    >>
    >>Any views on why the majority in here have no interest in the greatest sporting event on
    >>the planet?
    >
    >Two reasons why there's not much discussion of the TdF here.
    >
    >1. There have been requests that people don't put information about the day's result in the subject
    > lines of posts. A reasonable request which unfortunately probably deters some people from
    > posting.
    >
    >2. rec.bicycles.racing is a usenet forum with lots of discussion of the TdF.

    1. It's pretty easy to comply with this - what's the problem?

    2. I say there's less than half-a-dozen UK posters in rbr.

    Regards! Stephen