Cycling Warfare

Richard

Guest
In light of recent events in Iraq does anybody have any idea if the British Military have any use
for Bicycles in warfare. I know the Americans have several military bike units. Can anybody tell me
if these have been or are being used in the current conflict. Thanks Richard

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> In light of recent events in Iraq does anybody have any idea if the
British
> Military have any use for Bicycles in warfare.

I like the idea of a bike with a handlebar mounted missile system to get revenge on the next car
that cuts me up on a roundabout!

news:[email protected]...
> In light of recent events in Iraq does anybody have any idea if the
British
> Military have any use for Bicycles in warfare. I know the Americans have several military bike
> units. Can anybody tell me if these have been or are being used in the current conflict.
> Thanks Richard

I take it you haven't done much riding on sand then?

Richard wrote:

> In light of recent events in Iraq does anybody have any idea if the
British
> Military have any use for Bicycles in warfare. I know the Americans have several military bike
> units. Can anybody tell me if these have been or are being used in the current conflict.

Highly unlikely. But I'll tell you one thing: if the military invested a whole load of expensive
research and development into bicycles, 100 years overdue we'd finally have puncture-free tyres
overnight!

--

Scatterbunny ~..~ ( ' )

Scatterbunny wrote:

>Highly unlikely. But I'll tell you one thing: if the military invested a whole load of expensive
>research and development into bicycles, 100 years overdue we'd finally have puncture-free tyres
>overnight!

Don't need the army for that! Vredestein Dutch Perfect are almost bullet-proof. Heard the other day
that the Swiss have finally disbanded their last bicycle unit, wouldn't know if anybody else still
have any (well, there's a few military bicycle bands left, IIRC)

As for mounting anti car missiles: a smallish flame thrower should really be sufficient, just melt
their tires to the pavement ...

Mark van Gorkom.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:21:42 +0000, Mark van Gorkom wrote:

> Scatterbunny wrote:
>

>>Highly unlikely. But I'll tell you one thing: if the military invested a whole load of expensive
>>research and development into bicycles, 100 years overdue we'd finally have puncture-free tyres
>>overnight!
>>
> Don't need the army for that! Vredestein Dutch Perfect are almost bullet-proof. Heard the other
> day that the Swiss have finally disbanded their last bicycle unit, wouldn't know if anybody else
> still have any (well, there's a few military bicycle bands left, IIRC)

Is this true?

I visited the Swiss Expo '02 last year. Think of it as the Millenium Dome exhibition - but done by
the Swiss. So lots of rail transport, and excellent organisation.

At one of the venues there was an exhibition put on by the military. They had bicycles for loan -
sadly I didn't try one. They were really heavy steel framed bikes, with leather saddlebags and the
like. And of course painted green. There was also horse and buggy rides laid on. Pity the poor
squaddie I saw sent out with a shovel and bucket...

I guess I won't contradict you though - it may very well be that the last combat unit is no longer
reliant on bikes. But I seriously doubt if the Swiss Army have totally done away with their bikes.

"Mark van Gorkom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Don't need the army for that! Vredestein Dutch Perfect are almost bullet-proof.

I'll tentatively second that. Been using them for a month, and it's the longest I've been without a
puncture at this time of year (up here they cut the hawthorn hedges about now which leaves a lovely
coating of sharp thorns on the road - why can't they do something about that?)

Tim

--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!

Now see this, by the left, quick pedal http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5265/atb.htm

> >>Highly unlikely. But I'll tell you one thing: if the military invested
> >>whole load of expensive research and development into bicycles, 100
years
> >>overdue we'd finally have puncture-free tyres overnight!

Some years ago, driving cautiously down into Switzerland from, IIRC, the St Bernard pass, we met a squad of Swiss soldiers cycling up.

Their bikes looked like everything you'd expect from the expression "army bicycle" - greenish, heavy, three gears, moustache handlebars.

I'm not surprised Switzerland never gets invaded. These guys must have been tough enough to push a tank over.

Chris Walker

Originally posted by John Hearns

"ChrisW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Some years ago, driving cautiously down into Switzerland from, IIRC, the St Bernard pass, we met a
> squad of Swiss soldiers cycling up.
>
> Their bikes looked like everything you'd expect from the expression "army bicycle" - greenish,
> heavy, three gears, moustache handlebars.
>
> I'm not surprised Switzerland never gets invaded. These guys must have been tough enough to push a
> tank over.

Of course, if you really want to admire Swiss Army cycling tactics you should read the history of
their tandem & sidecar Gattling gun squads. These three-man teams operated mainly on the St
Gotthard pass, where they could get a good run-up around Lake Lucerne before standing on the pedals
to ascend the pass.

The Gattling gun was mounted on the rear handlebars (obviously raised as high as possible to avoid
shooting the man at the front) and the ammo belt was fed by the man in the sidecar. Unfortunately,
due to the 40-mile downhill run on the other side of the St Gotthard pass, most units ended up in
Italy and couldn't be bothered cycling home, so the whole squadron was scrapped.
--

Scatterbunny ~..~ ( ' )

Wasn't entirely certain; heard it on the radio about one/two months ago. Just checked the Swiss army
newssite <www.armee.ch > and there's a speech about downsizing the army. In short: several elements
will be disbanded entirely, incl. the bicycle batallions (battalions sounds impressive! Imagine
being overrun by a few hundred cyclists wooshing down the nearest alp...). OTOH they'll keep the
mules and horses.

Mark van Gorkom.

>> Heard the other day that the Swiss have finally disbanded their last bicycle unit, wouldn't know
>> if anybody else still have any (well, there's a few military bicycle bands left, IIRC)
>>
>Is this true?

>I guess I won't contradict you though - it may very well be that the last combat unit is no longer
>reliant on bikes. But I seriously doubt if the Swiss Army have totally done away with their bikes.

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I like the idea of a bike with a handlebar mounted missile system to get revenge on the next car
> that cuts me up on a roundabout!

I recommend a chinese RPG-7

http://www.g2mil.com/RPG.htm

definitely not the accessory for the weight-weenies among you. But when you absolutely, positively
MUST show White Van Man who's boss...

-Luigi engage the enemy more closely

In one of Leonard Liggio's lectures on history he recounted the use of bicycles in the invasion of
Singapore and by the N. Viets.

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > In light of recent events in Iraq does anybody have any idea if the
> British
> > Military have any use for Bicycles in warfare.
>
> I like the idea of a bike with a handlebar mounted missile system to get revenge on the next car
> that cuts me up on a roundabout!

Sounds like something straight out of a Bond film; "Now pay attention, 007...." ;-)

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"Robert Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In one of Leonard Liggio's lectures on history he recounted the use of bicycles in the invasion of
> Singapore and by the N. Viets.

Was waiting for someone to bring that up; the uses were very different.

The Japanese used bicycles as a means of infantry transport--(no surprise; the germans did as well)
and were thus able to make exceptional time down the Malayan peninsula.

The North Vietnamese used them as a means of supplying troops; often, bicycles were so laden with
supplies that they were used more as (remarkably efficient) wheelbarrows rather than being ridden.

And somewhere I remember seeing a great picture of an Afghan fighter riding a Raleigh-knockoff
roadster, slinging an RPG, on his way to or from a fight.

-Luigi

On 3 Apr 2003 04:05:31 -0800, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

>"Robert Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> In one of Leonard Liggio's lectures on history he recounted the use of bicycles in the invasion
>> of Singapore and by the N. Viets.
>
>Was waiting for someone to bring that up; the uses were very different.
>
>The Japanese used bicycles as a means of infantry transport--(no surprise; the germans did as well)
>and were thus able to make exceptional time down the Malayan peninsula.
>
>The North Vietnamese used them as a means of supplying troops; often, bicycles were so laden with
>supplies that they were used more as (remarkably efficient) wheelbarrows rather than being ridden.
>
>And somewhere I remember seeing a great picture of an Afghan fighter riding a Raleigh-knockoff
>roadster, slinging an RPG, on his way to or from a fight.
>
>-Luigi

Look in Antony Beevor's recent book, "Belin" for pictures of cycling anti-tank patrols. The
pictures show each bike with a Panzerfaust each side of the fork; for transit only. Didn't save
Berlin, though.