Cycling Weekly: Graeme Obree book excerpts part 2

Sue Rogers

Guest
Isn't that sad? My heart went out to him and his family as I read that article yesterday.

It must take a lot of bravery and honesty to write like that and admit those feelings. I wish him
and his family all the best in coping with things and that their better life continues to improve.

"Sue Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Isn't that sad? My heart went out to him and his family as I read that article yesterday.
>
> It must take a lot of bravery and honesty to write like that and admit those feelings. I wish him
> and his family all the best in coping with things and that their better life continues to improve.

The guy is a "HERO" no doubt about it, who else could break the hour record on their own ?

Graham

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The guy is a "HERO" no doubt about it, who else could break the hour record on their own ?

Absolutely - and the day after he made a failed attempt! I'd be in bed for a fortnight.

Just got hold of his book and am about half-way through it. Some of it I find heartbreaking. But in
a way, it just highlights his achievements even more, what with all he was going through.

Had the (what I regard as) privilege to ride a time trial up at Cockermouth that he entered - think
it was around 1990. He was late at the start by about 5 mins and still won by about another 5 mins!
I remember crowds of us standing around looking at his bike at the finish, wondering how the hell he
did it. At that time he was still on upturned drop bars. Talk of 'imagine what he could do on a
proper bike' and all that. Well, he proved us all wrong there too didn't he.

Allan.

..
> The guy is a "HERO" no doubt about it, who else could break the hour record on their own ?

He is also a 'HERO' for having the courage to confront his predicament face on and for sharing that with the world!

I've just finished Graham's book and am absolutely humbled by his situation, it’s utterly shattering, tear making. I have a huge urge to send him and his family a very short message of thanks and support. This guy’s thrilled and amazed thousands of people around the world and anything that brings a smile ones face is a GOOD thing. He and his family deserve to have ongoing words of encouragement in their plight.

Does anyone know where messages of support can be sent?

"Phat.Controller" wrote:

> .
> > The guy is a "HERO" no doubt about it, who else could break the hour record on their own ?
>
> He is also a 'HERO' for having the courage to confront his predicament face on and for sharing
> that with the world!
>
> I've just finished Graham's book and am absolutely humbled by his situation, it’s utterly
> shattering, tear making. I have a huge urge to send him and his family a very short message of
> thanks and support. This guy’s thrilled and amazed thousands of people around the world and
> anything that brings a smile ones face is a GOOD thing. He and his family deserve to have ongoing
> words of encouragement in their plight.
>
> Does anyone know where messages of support can be sent?

I'm still reading it and have had the same thoughts.

I'm sure if you write to the publisher the correspondence will get through.

John B

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:41:56 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Phat.Controller" wrote:
>
>> .
>> > The guy is a "HERO" no doubt about it, who else could break the hour record on their own ?
>>
>> He is also a 'HERO' for having the courage to confront his predicament face on and for sharing
>> that with the world!
>>
>> I've just finished Graham's book and am absolutely humbled by his situation, it’s utterly
>> shattering, tear making. I have a huge urge to send him and his family a very short message of
>> thanks and support. This guy’s thrilled and amazed thousands of people around the world and
>> anything that brings a smile ones face is a GOOD thing. He and his family deserve to have ongoing
>> words of encouragement in their plight.
>>
>> Does anyone know where messages of support can be sent?
>
>I'm still reading it and have had the same thoughts.
>
>I'm sure if you write to the publisher the correspondence will get through.

Publisher is Birlinn Ltd you can contact them from here
http://www.birlinn.co.uk/asp-birlinn/contact.asp

Regards! Stephen

He's appearing at the cycle show at the Business Centre Islington.

Just visited the show and it's excellent.

Wayne
--
DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

"Phat.Controller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> .
> > The guy is a "HERO" no doubt about it, who else could break the hour record on their own ?
>
> He is also a 'HERO' for having the courage to confront his predicament face on and for sharing
> that with the world!
>
> I've just finished Graham's book and am absolutely humbled by his situation, it's utterly
> shattering, tear making. I have a huge urge to send him and his family a very short message of
> thanks and support. This guy's thrilled and amazed thousands of people around the world and
> anything that brings a smile ones face is a GOOD thing. He and his family deserve to have ongoing
> words of encouragement in their plight.
>
> Does anyone know where messages of support can be sent?

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >He's appearing at the cycle show at the Business Centre Islington.
> >
> >Just visited the show and it's excellent.
> >
> >Wayne
>
> I'm off there tomorrow - so what's not to be missed when there?
>
> Cheers, helen s

I found the best bit was downstairs (underneath the main show) in the delivery area you can try out
bikes. It's a must.

Lots of kit on show and extremely light and expensive bikes. I'm interested in a really good folder
so tried out the Dahon, Birdy and Airnimal. Best by far is the airnimal and it looks good too, but
at £2000 it's going to take a lot to convince my wife I need one. Still I live in hope.

Wayne
--
DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web