Cycling Western Ireland (Westport)

focus22

Oct 11, 2003
A group of our tandem cycling friends are renting a home in Westport, County Mayo, Ireland in August 2004. I have been to the area numerous times, but not for cycling. We will be riding for 7 or 8 days (out and back) and are interested in hearing form anyone living in the area who rides and would like to help with routes - or just knows the area and has some ideas. Thanks!!

Originally posted by focus22
A group of our tandem cycling friends are renting a home in Westport, County Mayo, Ireland in August 2004. I have been to the area numerous times, but not for cycling. We will be riding for 7 or 8 days (out and back) and are interested in hearing form anyone living in the area who rides and would like to help with routes - or just knows the area and has some ideas. Thanks!!
More of a Northerner myself but you could try and contact a few local clubs from down there. A good place to start would be cyclingireland.org there are lots of Galway and Mayo clubs who should be a able to give you lots of route ideas.

www.belfastandbeyond.com

Originally posted by focus22
More of a Northerner myself but you could try and contact a few local clubs from down there. A good place to start would be cyclingireland.org there are lots of Galway and Mayo clubs who should be a able to give you lots of route ideas.

www.belfastandbeyond.com

Have you gone on any organized bicycle tours? Like backroads, butterfield & robinson, santana cycle tours?? I have a tandem too and would like to know your experience with organized tours. Are they worth it? Where have you met other people with tandems? We would like to go on a vacation this august--and I am trying to decide what to do. Ireland is an option for us. I would appreciate any info you have

A few years ago, my husband and I did a tandem tour of Cape Cod with Bike and the Like (www.bikeandthelike.com). It was terrific and very reasonable. There we met many other tandem teams (couples) and have made good friendships with a few of the couples, traveling to each others' homes around the US for riding trips since that first CC trip. This summer we are going to western Ireland together (doing our own thing). I have heard good things about all of the companies you mentioned, but also about Pennywise Tours, from some other tandem friends. Sorry I cannot be more specific.
Also, we have had great times at tandem rallies in the U.S.
Where are you located?