Cycling when older? probably not, right?

fiscem4

Sep 15, 2004
Hi all, I thought that I would share my story and ask for some advice, as many of you are much more accomplished cyclists than I.

I have, for much of my life been training and racing with the aim of going pro one day. When it came time to go to college I chose a college in the south and went, so that I could spend more time training in the warmth.

I am also a musician. I graduated at 18 from the Juilliard School and have decided that I want to be a professional musician. However, music school requires an extreme dedication. As my teachers put it "If you want to be a full time musician, you need to be a full time music student first". So, it seems that my serious training has been put on hold for the next four years.

I love the sport of cycling so much. My training partner recently signed with a team, which I suppose has sparked all of this. I guess what I need advice on is this: Am I going to be able to pick up my training again four years from now and cycle at an elite level? I get this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I'm out on my bike knowing that it is something I want to be doing and cannot. Is it time to give up on lofty dreams and just accept a future as a purely recreational cyclist?

the sands of time are not kind to cyclists and id say that a neo pro of X ability will always be far more attractive to a team that a neo pro of X ability but 5-6 years older.

getting to the highest level requires years of consistent training so the prospect of taking even a year out could send you straight back to the beginning, starting again the lengthy process of development.

id say you have a hard choice to make. my angle - if at that level of cycling -would be to give it a real good crack of the whip, safe in the knowledge that the music is not so age critical, something to return to maybe.

do what you love most and the money will follow, as "they" say.

fiscem4 said:
I guess what I need advice on is this: Am I going to be able to pick up my training again four years from now and cycle at an elite level?
If everything you said is true, then your 4 years of being a full-time music student will be followed by many more years of being a full-time professional musician. Dedicating yourself wholly to cycling in 4 years would pretty much be a waste of those 4 years at Julliard, wouldn't it?

That's a difficult choice to make, but having the ability to perform at the elite level in not 1, but 2 different disciplines is certainly a great decision to have to consider as a young person. I guess you should just consider yourself blessed and make the choice that you think will best suit your talents, goals, and desired lifestyle. Best of luck.

Would it make you happiest to be a sought-after professional musician, and a casual bike racer? Or, would you be happier as an elite racer, and sometimes musician?

I ask the tough question, because the only other option is dilletantism. I would say, having both pursued music and cycling, that it is easier to keep musical chops up with less time, than with cycling. And as the first respondent said, cycling is 'time sensitive'.

Whatever your choice, best of luck!

As a professional (all full-time employed) musician, I'd say that you need the excercise that serious training gives you to balance what you do in school. Keep training - as risky as being a full time musician is, it's harder to be a full-time bike racer, I'd bet big money on that!
:)

Jon Packard said:
As a professional (all full-time employed) musician, I'd say that you need the excercise that serious training gives you to balance what you do in school. Keep training - as risky as being a full time musician is, it's harder to be a full-time bike racer, I'd bet big money on that!
:)

As another professional musician, (and recreational bikie) I'd ditto that. Not an easy choice, but there's some great tips here. When I was going through music school, I found that riding just had to take a back seat. And it still does. Maybe when/if I ever retire I'll be able to do all the cycling I'd like to! Good luck.

This is a definite fork in the road and you must choose now. Chances are you have to go with what you love the most and stick to it. Racing is not a choice to make four years down the road. Music probably could be. I think, if you are serious, cycling first...school later. The question is, do you got what it takes?
Ask yourself that question.

I have to warn you...If you choose cycling, there will be many people that will be very upset with you. They will think that you have lost it. Especially your parents and friends that are in the school scene. Be ready!

Hooben said:
The question is, do you got what it takes?
Ask yourself that question.

Questions like that make me wish you would be at my race in the morning ;). Is that any indication?

Regardless of what happens in September, this summer I will definately be training and racing my ass off.

Happy riding guys and thank you all so much for your kind replies and words. One of the things that I love about the sport is the sense of community and support among cyclists.

I wish all the luck to you fiscem. Work hard on the bike and stay focused, and play your instrument(s) as much as you can in your recovery/off-hours.

Go get 'em!

First of all, you were one of the few to be selected for Juilliard. Using this opportunity and developing your musical talent can open life's doors for you in many ways, and even better, it is something that you can continue to make money at and enjoy until the day you die. Becoming a pro cyclist can be as equally rewarding, however consider this first. Ask yourself "What exactly is it that I want to do with a professional cycling career?". If your ambition is to go full pro and actually make a living from it, it is as risky as going into music, as I'm sure you know. However, assuming you make it to the pros, your career will be short lived compared to the potential you have with music. Once you get into your 30s, it's just about over. Then what will you have to fall back on?? My advice...if you love music, and you think you have a good chance at it, get that degree and go for it. Keep some level of fitness by riding whenever you can (even if it is only one long ride a week, or 3 short rides a week), but remember what really comes first...school. After your 4 years is up, go back to your regular training schedule. You'll only be what, 22?? That is still very young, and there are several pros who started even later than that (although they are probably genetic freaks). It might take you 1-3 years to get back to where you were, but that's ok. Finally, competitive cycling can be just as rewarding even if you aren't a pro. My cousin is a Cat 1 out of Atlanta. After spending 15 years trying to attain his goal of going full pro, he finally gave it up and bacame an attorney. He still competes with the pros however and has won several state championships. He is now in the masters category and is looking forward to the next phase in his cycling "career" while working full time as an attorney. His soon-to-be wife represented Jamaica in the 2000 Sidney Olympics and competed in the world road race championship this past year. She also holds a full time job as a French teacher and is considering going back for her master's degree. I myself started cycling only 3 years ago. I spent the first 6 years out of high school attaining my B.S. and M.S degrees, and am now already in the process of upgrading to cat3, while enjoying the benefits and stablility of my career. So I guess my point is, me, my cousin, and his wife may have all had the potential to go full pro and try to make a living doing it, however we realized that school and a lasting career are more important as far as having a stable future. You can have a full time career and enjoy the full benifits of competitive cycling even though you are not a full pro! Many people do it!

fiscem4 said:
Hi all, I thought that I would share my story and ask for some advice, as many of you are much more accomplished cyclists than I.

I have, for much of my life been training and racing with the aim of going pro one day. When it came time to go to college I chose a college in the south and went, so that I could spend more time training in the warmth.

I am also a musician. I graduated at 18 from the Juilliard School and have decided that I want to be a professional musician. However, music school requires an extreme dedication. As my teachers put it "If you want to be a full time musician, you need to be a full time music student first". So, it seems that my serious training has been put on hold for the next four years.

I love the sport of cycling so much. My training partner recently signed with a team, which I suppose has sparked all of this. I guess what I need advice on is this: Am I going to be able to pick up my training again four years from now and cycle at an elite level? I get this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I'm out on my bike knowing that it is something I want to be doing and cannot. Is it time to give up on lofty dreams and just accept a future as a purely recreational cyclist?