Cycling with a splint for "mallet finger"?

Preston Crawford

Guest
Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
bike after that.

The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.

Any advice is appreciated.

Preston

A picture for fun.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30367835@N00/359236327/

> Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
> pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
> This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
> have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
> the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
> bike after that.
>
> The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
> constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
> get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Preston

I fell and jammed my finger in a way that the finger went sideways at the
middle joint. The doc got out some tape and taped it to the finger next to
it. He said not to use a split. Maybe your doc put on the splint, but
perhaps you could get away with taping the fingers together for awhile. You
could ask him.

Pat

Preston Crawford wrote:
> Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
> pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
> This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
> have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
> the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
> bike after that.
>
> The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
> constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
> get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.

Preston, I don't know anything about splints but I
think you should perhaps wear splints full time to
protect your fingers while playing basketball!

SMH

Preston Crawford wrote:
> Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
> pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
> This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
> have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
> the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
> bike after that.
>
> The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
> constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
> get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Preston
>

> A picture for fun.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30367835@N00/359236327/

Preston,
This is a great opportunity for you to learn how to ride with no-hands! ;-)

But seriously, I don't see why you can't ride right now. Just take it
slow and be extra careful.

Good Luck.
--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
> pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
> This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
> have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
> the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
> bike after that.
>
> The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
> constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
> get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Preston
>

> A picture for fun.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30367835@N00/359236327/

Personally, I might not follow the suggestion that you ignore doctor's
advice and take the splints off.

Two years ago, I injured my shoulder so badly I was unable to move my right
upper extremity for weeks. I couldn't nordic ski, run or even walk briskly.
I found that I could ride a stationary bike with "no hands" and not much
pain. This led me to rediscover cycling. When my shoulder improved, I
began road biking again after years of not doing it. I even took up
commuting to work by bike.

You could put your bike in a trainer or go to the health club and ride one
of those Schwinn spinning machines until you fingers are well.

BobT

I think you should drop basketball, and take up a less dangerous sport, like
football.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:32:51 -0600, Preston Crawford wrote:

> The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
> constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
> get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.

All you have to do it keep the finger straight. If it is allowed to bend
your 4/6 (mine was 8) weeks start again. The splint gets rather messy,
and you need to find a way to change it and clean the skin underneath
while keeping the finger straight. It's easier if you have someone to
help, but it is possible to do it on your own if necessary -- prepare
the new splint, pre-cut pieces of surgical tape, have everything within
easy reach because you'll be working one-handed.

Apart from the awkwardness of having the fingers sticking out, I see no
reason you couldn't ride a bike.

For your amusement, I snapped my tendon waving my arms in an argument in
the office, but it's also common to do it while making up a bed, or even
taking a sock off! http://www.emedicine.com/Orthoped/topic413.htm

Mike

Pat wrote:
> I fell and jammed my finger in a way that the finger went sideways at
> the middle joint. The doc got out some tape and taped it to the
> finger next to it. He said not to use a split. Maybe your doc put on
> the splint, but perhaps you could get away with taping the fingers
> together for awhile. You could ask him.

NOT likely to be a good idea. Mallet finger arises from detachment of the
tendon operating the end joint of the finger. The splint is to keep the
joint straight giving the tendon time to heal/reattach.

Buddying is used for support in other types of injury but is not appropriate
for Mallet finger.

Ignore all posts telling you otherwise. A quick google will confirm!

pk

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
>pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
>This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
>have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
>the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
>bike after that.
>
>The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
>constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
>get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.
>
>Any advice is appreciated.
>
>Preston
>

>A picture for fun.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/30367835@N00/359236327/

Hmm. It's going to be hard to eject those snot rockets if you can't
lean an index finger against the nose without poking out an eye. Maybe
it's warm enough where you are that you don't have to worry about
that.

Preston Crawford wrote:
> Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
> pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
> This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
> have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
> the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
> bike after that.
>
> The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
> constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
> get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Preston
>

> A picture for fun.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30367835@N00/359236327/

Fixed gear with one brake, lever the 'cross' type, up by the stem..go
ride.

Preston Crawford wrote:
> Anyone done this? Know if it's possible. Last week I dislocated my left
> pinkie playing baskeball and have to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks.
> This week I dislocated my other pinkie playing basketball (fluke) and
> have to keep it in a splint for 4 weeks. I don't think I can cycle until
> the 4 week splint comes off. Which means I'll be itching to get on my
> bike after that.
>
> The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint on
> constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I want to
> get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.

it's kind of funny because a guy at the gym where i work just had the
same thing happen... OUCH! Sounds painful... also from basketball. No
basketball for a few weeks needless to say- cycling here isn't much of
an issue these days except for trainers or spinning as it's freezing and
snowing.

All i know is that a few years ago I broke a finger in an accident on my
bike- spiral fracture on the right hand pinky and the splint was for a
month. It just hurt too much to ride and squeeze the brakes, even on the
trainer, plus i was black and blue (got hit by a car) so i decided not
to risk it. However, as soon as I was able, i went to the gym and was
able to use the treadmill and other things, as long as I was careful.

Heal fast!

Preston Crawford wrote:
:: The problem is that with mallet finger you have to leave the splint
:: on constantly for 6 weeks or else the finger becomes deformed. So I
:: want to get back on the bike, but I don't know how risky that is.

You're asking a specific medical question in a newsgroup. Do you really
expect to get any kind of credible advice on risk to your pick from a dozen

Leave the splint on for 6 weeks unless you want to risk a deformed pinky.