Cycling With Achilles Tendonitis?

predagin

Jun 16, 2015
I have a history of Achilles tendonitis, and it seems to be coming back - in both feet. I had started a running program that I think triggered it, and I have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon this afternoon. I'm at the point now where it hurts to walk and I have to turn to go down stairs, since I can't bend my ankles very well.

That said, I'm 99% positive she'll tell me no more running for now, but what are the chances I'll be told no more cycling as well? I am a triathlete - and I figure swimming is probably great for the tendon but if I have to give up running AND cycling, that's going to put a damper on training. I've already decided this season is a loss, but I'd like to be able to work on my swimming and cycling so I can rock those next year.

Plus, I'd like to train for a century ride or two in the meantime.

Any words of wisdom? I'm trying not to obsess but considering I bought my bike less than two months ago - I road a loaner mountain bike last year - I am going to be Not Happy if I can't ride for a long time!

Reactions: haleylx4
I used to get that sometimes from running, but so far bicycling hasn't caused it. Or anything else bad, for that matter. Now I only run once every week or two, just to keep my legs used to the pounding.

every once in a while a runner comes in to buy a bike,
after overtraining for road running..

Treat the Tendonitis , before you get ambitious about 100 mile day conquests..
you may have done damage thru running as competition.. and training for those events.
IDK, not there or an MD..

now JRA for transportation will not be that stressful.. 5 miles at a time.. perhaps.

I'm just a slow tourist, but 7mph for 7 hrs a day,
gets you down the road quite a ways, after a month or 2.

Tendonitis can be a real problem to heal. Usually the best thing is to completely avoid aggravating it which means don't do anything were there is any pain or discomfort. Anyway, FWIW, I've gotten quite different recommendations between general practice orthopedic surgeons and those that specialize is sports injuries. Those that specialize in sports medicine understand the importance of maintaining fitness and skill so modify treatments, therapies and advice accordingly. I'm not advocating disregarding your doctor's advice. Just consider the source and maybe get a second or third opinion.

After you start to get this under control move your cleats back. This will take a lot of pressure off your achilles. I used to run 50+ miles a week many years ago and had a severe case following a run on a slippery, muddy trail. Takes a lot of time to heal. About a year ago had a minor flare up and moving my cleats back even as little as 1/2" made a big difference.

I had horrible Achilles tendonitis in my left leg a few years ago. From over ambitious running, of course. Swelled up every night. I stopped running but I still rode the bike. I actually rode more since I couldn't run. I took it easy on the standing and hammering, and learned to spin up hills while seated. Probably didn't help it heal, but didn't seem to make it worse. It's completely healed now.

Some guys around here do one legged cycling, it's just occurred to me this is what they're training for.

I suffered an achilles tendon tear a few weeks ago. Can hardly walk, let alone cycle.
19500774765_1cd801438e.jpg

I have a history of Achilles tendonitis, and it seems to be coming back - in both feet. I had started a running program that I think triggered it, and I have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon this afternoon. I'm at the point now where it hurts to walk and I have to turn to go down stairs, since I can't bend my ankles very well.

That said, I'm 99% positive she'll tell me no more running for now, but what are the chances I'll be told no more cycling as well? I am a triathlete - and I figure swimming is probably great for the tendon but if I have to give up running AND cycling, that's going to put a damper on training. I've already decided this season is a loss, but I'd like to be able to work on my swimming and cycling so I can rock those next year.

Plus, I'd like to train for a century ride or two in the meantime.

Any words of wisdom? I'm trying not to obsess but considering I bought my bike less than two months ago - I road a loaner mountain bike last year - I am going to be Not Happy if I can't ride for a long time!

Physical therapy has helped me. I was very skeptical about seeking help from a physical therapist because I thought all they did was show lazy, out-of-shape people how to stretch and exercise -- and that ain't me -- but I was so wrong. A good physical therapist can work wonders. I'm not cured yet, but I'm much better. My recommendation is see a PT.