Cycling With An Organized Group

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
My colleagues said that it is ideal to be cycling with an organized group. That gives you some privileges like safety and security apart from the camaraderie. I tried it once as a guest but I didn't like it. What I want maybe is to be cycling with my friends so the intimacy is there. An organized group is composed of so many people so it is like having a party on the road.

It's more fun to ride with friends but it's also fun to ride in an organized group. In an organized group, you get to know some new friends and as you've said, builds camaraderie. I also seem to not tire easily when riding in a group, because it's more fun riding in a group and with friends, rather than riding alone.

@Jojo83, I understand what you said that you seem not to tire easily when riding with an organized group. But if you have many friends, say about 10, then it's almost the same feeling. I am actually thinking of organizing a long trip of 80 kilometers with an overnight stay in a mountain resort. From my initial list of cyclists that I know, I already have 6, apart from me, who may be interested. I'm looking at the number 20 or more.

I think it's really great cycling with an organized group, especially family or friends and it could be really fun and such an entertaining lovely time.

It is usually fun cycling in a group. You can go cycling with your friends or school mates. You can also ask your family members if they can join you. You also get encouraged while cycling in a group.

Cycling or doing anything in a group of like minded people would help with accountability and encouragement. you would just want to make sure that you are in a group of people with the same goals as you.

momof4blessingz said:
Cycling or doing anything in a group of like minded people would help with accountability and encouragement. you would just want to make sure that you are in a group of people with the same goals as you.
As I had said, I already tried cycling with an organized group. I understand the benefits because they have a formal organization. But that formality sometimes is disturbing. The activities seemed to be endless as if they have no families of their own. There is an invisible cord that is always tugging at me when something comes up especially now that connecting to people is a breeze with the phone or email or social media.

Cycling with friends give me the liberty to be myself. And since they are my friends so there is no pretense and I feel comfortable being with them.

Corzhens said:
As I had said, I already tried cycling with an organized group. I understand the benefits because they have a formal organization. But that formality sometimes is disturbing. The activities seemed to be endless as if they have no families of their own. There is an invisible cord that is always tugging at me when something comes up especially now that connecting to people is a breeze with the phone or email or social media.

Cycling with friends give me the liberty to be myself. And since they are my friends so there is no pretense and I feel comfortable being with them.
You seem to give the organized group too much control over your life. There is no need to go to their every event. There is no need to finish a ride with them.

80K (3-4 hours) with friends is going to be difficult if you have different abilities. And 20 cyclists mess up traffic a lot more than a group of 3-5.

Before I got my bike, there was a big organized group that a lot of my friends belonged to. They road Friday nights. It sounded like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, they don't really meet up anymore so I don't have a chance to join. It's a shame, because I probably would have learned a lot about riding since a lot of them were people from a couple of the bike shops. The only group that rides now is a bimonthly group of bar hoppers. I don't think drinking and riding is a very good idea, so I haven't ridden with them.

An old Guy said:
You seem to give the organized group too much control over your life. There is no need to go to their every event. There is no need to finish a ride with them.

80K (3-4 hours) with friends is going to be difficult if you have different abilities. And 20 cyclists mess up traffic a lot more than a group of 3-5.
I'm not actually giving them control. But you see, I got in that organized group upon the invitation of some acquaintances, not exactly friends. They were very supportive of me considering my gender so it's a shame for me to ignore their invites. You are right with that finishing the ride. I can quit anytime in the trip but it would be lonely to go back by my lonesome. One advantage in riding with an organized group, as I felt it, is the feeling of safety since there are lots of you on the road so road rage or something like that is not a worry. There are places here where mischief is the order of the day. A cyclist can get stoned just like that but they wouldn't attack a group of cyclists number 20 or more.

I don't riding with a group occasionally but I find that riding alone affords me more choices of roads. I wouldn't want to be riding in a big group on some of the roads I ride as we would be blocking traffic. Cars find it easier to pass one cyclist as opposed to a whole flock. I also like to ride when I want to ride. The organized time can be a hassle. And then there's looking out for the other riders. If the pack fails to warn of stopping short or a road hazard and you can't see it coming you can have serious troubles. And then, what if you should want to stop to take a picture or adjust equipment, etc.? I know this comes off as "riding with groups sucks". It can be ok, but there are some drawbacks that make it something I don't want to have a steady diet.

Organized groups aren't for me when it comes to cycling. I'd rather cycle by myself or with one or two other cyclists/friends. I can see the draw of organized cycling, but there are tons of disadvantages, too. I'm going to stick with solo riding because it's what suits my preferences and riding style most. I know plenty of people that like groups and others that can't stand them.

There are definitely some advantages to solo riding. I often feel self conscious in groups when I'm doing something that I'm not very experienced in. I feel like I'd probably be looking over my shoulder a lot to make sure I was doing the right thing. I also might have a problem keeping up with the group if they're used to riding faster than I do. I tend to ride pretty leisurely. It's also good to be able to decide where you're going instead of having to follow a set route.

Catsyo said:
There are definitely some advantages to solo riding. I often feel self conscious in groups when I'm doing something that I'm not very experienced in. I feel like I'd probably be looking over my shoulder a lot to make sure I was doing the right thing. I also might have a problem keeping up with the group if they're used to riding faster than I do. I tend to ride pretty leisurely. It's also good to be able to decide where you're going instead of having to follow a set route.
In my starting of this thread, I mentioned that I don't prefer to ride in organized groups. However, I don't want to be solo riding except when inside our village. But outside in the main roads, well, I really haven't tried that yet. I'm scared at the thought of figuring in an accident. Who would take care of me then? When I ride with friends, we were at least 5 or so. That number is quite good, not few but not too many. And usually, we chat while cruising slowly in a downslope. So that's fun.

momof4blessingz said:
Absolutely.

lol

It's good to ride in group considering you get along with them or else it can be boring. I would prefer a smaller group.

The cool thing about cycling and large organized groups is you meet new people. You find more people who ride your pace and make new friends.

Groups tend to ******** motorists more, especially if they're disorganized, while individuals seem to get hit more frequently.

I used to like riding in groups when I knew the group I was riding with--the racing clubs I belonged to. The non-racing groups I meet these days are kind of scary. I prefer riding alone or with one or two friends, but I'll try a group just to break the routine.

oldbobcat said:
Groups tend to ******** motorists more, especially if they're disorganized, while individuals seem to get hit more frequently.

I used to like riding in groups when I knew the group I was riding with--the racing clubs I belonged to. The non-racing groups I meet these days are kind of scary. I prefer riding alone or with one or two friends, but I'll try a group just to break the routine.
I am also a car driver and I am wary of cycling groups since they tend to give my car a scratch. Worse, they are too fast as they pass by during a traffic stop. But since I am also a biker so I try to understand them. One time I saw this group on the road, about more than 20 cyclists, who are having fun by criss-crossing their way on the road, obviously playing with the bikes. Those kind of cyclist are really annoying.

TheRo0sTer said:
The cool thing about cycling and large organized groups is you meet new people. You find more people who ride your pace and make new friends.
Meeting new people is ok, but if we already have a group we really don't need anymore people, anything over 10 people many times tends to be confusing.