Cycling with neuropathy without incurring footwounds possible?

Engellenkat

Jun 30, 2023
I am resuming cycling after a 5 year hiatus. I started in the late 1960s and now I'm 68.
What can I do to avoid incurring foot wounds? Despite having 13 & a 1/2 half feet I was able to find cleated cycling shoes (mtn bike type with wider toe box) that worked even into my 40s. Now that I'm approaching 50
yrs of being a diabetic I have neuropathy & can incur foot wounds that can take 9 mos to heal.
What can I do to avoid wounds, Are cleated or toe clips out. Certainly most otc cycling shoes are very diabetic hostile & way to toght & have seans inside that can wound. Does anyone make a neuropathy friendly true cycling shoe?

If you can't find any cycling shoes that solve your problem, then you have no other option but to use casual shoes and whatever pedal you can make to work with it.

I have one flat pedal cycling shoes I've been using for years but my most comfortable cycling shoes turned out to be my soft-soled crocs type shoes. The crocs shoes is one I'd use for >5 hr rides.

If you're going to switch to flat pedals, you need a shoe (any shoe) that allows you to feel the pedals and grips the pedal quite well. Soft soled shoes does well to feel and grip the pedals and also to isolate you from road bumps to some degree. Sole thickness will affect feel, too thin risks chaffing the soles of your feet. Too thick, you lose feel of the pedals and may cause foot instability at the pedals.

I have always had sensitive feet. I use mountain bike shoes. Wide with plenty of room and a insert to cushion the sole. Lots of room around the toes. Cushion socks, no super thin scraping my feet type socks. Good cushion.

Hey there! When it comes to cycling, having comfortable gear is key. It's great to hear that you're taking care of your feet by using wide mountain bike shoes with cushioning inserts. The right socks can also make a big difference in comfort. Keep up the good work!

Hey there! It's great to hear that you're getting back into cycling after a hiatus. As a dedicated cyclist myself, I understand the joy and freedom that comes with it. Regarding your concern about foot wounds, I would recommend prioritizing comfort and fit when selecting your cycling shoes. Cleated shoes can be a good option as long as they fit well and don't put too much pressure on any particular area of your foot. You might also consider shoes with a wider toe box to accommodate your wider feet.

Another option could be to explore shoe inserts or orthotics that can provide additional support and cushioning. Additionally, regularly checking your feet for any signs of irritation or discomfort and addressing them promptly can help prevent wounds from developing.

Lastly, it's important to ensure that your bike is properly fitted to your body, as this can also impact the pressure and strain on your feet. A professional bike fit can be a worthwhile investment to ensure that you're set up for success and comfort on your rides.

Best of luck on your cycling journey, and remember to take it one pedal stroke at a time! :)

Absolutely, foot wounds can be a concern for cyclists, especially with neuropathy. Cleated shoes can be beneficial for power transfer, but they might not be the best option for you due to the increased pressure on certain areas of the foot. You might want to consider shoes with a more forgiving sole, or even consider orthotics to redistribute pressure more evenly. Additionally, regularly inspecting your feet and ensuring proper bike fit can help prevent wounds. Toe clips are an alternative, but they still place some pressure on the forefoot. Ultimately, the key is to find a balance between performance and comfort, taking into account your individual needs and limitations.

Cyclists with foot wounds should consider shoes with a forgiving sole or orthotics to distribute pressure evenly. Inspect feet regularly and ensure proper bike fit. Toe clips are an alternative, but still apply some pressure. Balance performance with comfort, considering individual needs and limitations.

Cyclists should prioritize their foot health by wearing shoes with forgiving soles or using orthotics for pressure distribution. Regular foot inspections and proper bike fit are crucial. While toe clips offer an alternative, they still exert some pressure. Balancing performance and comfort should consider individual needs and limitations. ‍♀️

It's essential for cyclists to prioritize their foot health while riding. Wearing shoes with forgiving soles or using orthotics can help with pressure distribution. Regular foot inspections and proper bike fit are also critical. While toe clips might be an option, they can still exert some pressure. It's all about finding the right balance between performance and comfort, taking into account individual needs and limitations. So let's pedal smartly and take care of those feet! ‍♀️