cycling with the cheese eating surrender monkeys

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pete Jones, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    I’ve spent the last week on the road bike in France. It’s nothing too radical, just an old audax
    bike (although that didn’t stop me dusting a peleton of 15 French roadies on the Col de Pradel, me
    in my baggy shorts, SPD sandals and a ratty old t-shirt with a Union Jack logo on the back...on a
    touring bike. With flat bars. And a pannier. Not sure why but they seemed a bit peeved about it all
    - these Frenchies, they don’t like it up ‘em).

    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/france-bike/me_col.jpg

    Anyway, the thing is I went out on my (perfectly nice) mountain bike today - and it felt shit:
    horrible upright ride position, slow acceleration, mushy steering. I ended up finishing the
    ride early.

    Help me. I’m turning into a roadie..!

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I’ve spent the last week on the road bike in France. It’s nothing too radical, just an old audax
    > bike (although that didn’t stop me dusting a peleton of 15 French roadies on the Col de Pradel, me
    > in my baggy shorts, SPD sandals and a ratty old t-shirt with a Union Jack logo on the back...on a
    > touring bike. With flat bars. And a pannier. Not sure why but they seemed a bit peeved about it
    > all - these Frenchies, they don’t like it up ‘em).
    >
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/france-bike/me_col.jpg
    >
    > Anyway, the thing is I went out on my (perfectly nice) mountain bike today - and it felt shit:
    > horrible upright ride position, slow acceleration, mushy steering. I ended up finishing the
    > ride early.
    >

    > Help me. I’m turning into a roadie..!

    Nice.

    And horrible.

    Bill "it ain't 'gay roadie' if it's stuffing Frenchies" S.

  3. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    >> I’ve spent the last week on the road bike in France. It’s nothing too radical, just an old audax
    >> bike (although that didn’t stop me dusting a peleton of 15 French roadies on the Col de Pradel,
    >> me in my baggy shorts, SPD sandals and a ratty old t-shirt with a Union Jack logo on the
    >> back...on a touring bike. With flat bars. And a pannier. Not sure why but they seemed a bit
    >> peeved about it all - these Frenchies, they don’t like it up ‘em).
    >>
    >> Anyway, the thing is I went out on my (perfectly nice) mountain bike today - and it felt shit:
    >> horrible upright ride position, slow acceleration, mushy steering. I ended up finishing the
    >> ride early.
    >>
    >> Help me. I’m turning into a roadie..!
    >
    >Nice. And horrible.

    Warning: a week's cycling in rural France can induce dangerous symptoms of Francophilia. Don't
    panic, the effects soon pass when you get home and become exposed to the UK's xenophobic tabloid
    media. Just keep your wits about you if you head over there.

    Actually, it was great - perfect cycling, fantastic weather, friendly people. May well go back there
    next month. This site has given me a few climbs to think about:
    http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?lingua=eng&da=lm

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  4. On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:51:00 +0000, Pete Jones did issue forth:

    > Help me. I’m turning into a roadie..!

    /hits Pete over the head with a set of suspension forks /hits Pete over the head with a set of
    suspension forks /hits Pete over the head with a set of suspension forks /hits Pete over the head
    with a set of suspension forks /hits Pete over the head with a set of suspension forks

    Now, stop talking so silly.

    Huw "Don't do drugs, kids. Or bikes with 700c wheels" Pritchard

  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:

    > I’ve spent the last week on the road bike in France. It’s nothing too radical, just an old audax
    > bike (although that didn’t stop me dusting a peleton of 15 French roadies on the Col de Pradel, me
    > in my baggy shorts, SPD sandals and a ratty old t-shirt with a Union Jack logo on the back...on a
    > touring bike. With flat bars. And a pannier. Not sure why but they seemed a bit peeved about it
    > all - these Frenchies, they don’t like it up ‘em).

    I'd be more than happy to introduce you to one or two roadie group, on this side of the puddle, that
    might present more of a challenge;)

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:

    > Warning: a week's cycling in rural France can induce dangerous symptoms of Francophilia. Don't
    > panic, the effects soon pass when you get home and become exposed to the UK's xenophobic tabloid
    > media. Just keep your wits about you if you head over there.

    I'm off there on Saturday, I'll bear it in mind and make an effort to read the Daily Mail
    every day :)

    > Actually, it was great - perfect cycling, fantastic weather, friendly people.

    Excellent.

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I?ve spent the last week on the road bike in France. It?s nothing too radical, just an old audax
    > bike (although that didn?t stop me dusting a peleton of 15 French roadies on the Col de Pradel, me
    > in my baggy shorts, SPD sandals and a ratty old t-shirt with a Union Jack logo on the back...on a
    > touring bike. With flat bars. And a pannier. Not sure why but they seemed a bit peeved about it
    > all - these Frenchies, they don?t like it up ?em).

    Roadies are punks everywhere.

    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/france-bike/me_col.jpg
    >
    > Anyway, the thing is I went out on my (perfectly nice) mountain bike today - and it felt shit:
    > horrible upright ride position, slow acceleration, mushy steering. I ended up finishing the
    > ride early.

    What, only 40 miles?

    > Help me. I?m turning into a roadie..!

    Yeah, right.