cyclingforums.com

Dirtylitterboxo

Guest
Wot a cheek...

I popped over to the web site to have a look at how it links into this newsgroup, which, as we know
is *not* a cycling forums forum, but is part of Usenet... which has been around a darn sight longer
than cycling forums...

Yes, anyone who posts via Usenet - the "normal" way to post on to a Usenet newsgroup - has their
post also appearing on cycling forums AND are noted as being a "guest" of cycling forums.

Wot a blummin cheek ;-) We wuz here first ;-)

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

[email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Yes, anyone who posts via Usenet - the "normal" way to post on to a Usenet newsgroup - has their
> post also appearing on cycling forums AND are noted as being a "guest" of cycling forums.

Look on "guest" as signifying that you're just popping in to improve their grammar, spelling and
debating skills ;-)

This is pretty standard on all web<>usenet gateways I've come across. YOu need to register to post
to the forum and all unregistered posts, i.e. those from usenet, can only appear as guest.

Graeme

I found this newsgroup via cyclingforums.com and post through it. I find the interface a lot easier to use.

Originally posted by davebee
I found this newsgroup via cyclingforums.com and post through it. I find the interface a lot easier to use.

^

I agree with this :)

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
> davebee wrote:
> > I found this newsgroup via cyclingforums.com and post through it.
> I find > the interface a lot easier to use.
>
> I agree with this :)

I couldn't agree less. Web interfaces to discussion groups are the work of lucifer hisself. I used
to frequent the developer newsgroups at DevX until, a few weeks ago, they were closed down and
replaced by a web interface. Users were promised questionable 'benefits' such as avatars and bloody
smileys in exchange for much slower response (particularly on dial-up, of course) and advertising
all over the place. No thank you. I now only visit news.microsoft.com - also the work of an evil
one, of course, but one that I've sold my soul to as a .NET developer...

--
Rob

davebee wrote:
> I found this newsgroup via cyclingforums.com and post through it. I find the interface a lot
> easier to use.

Easier than what? u.r.c is a Usenet/NNTP group. The interface depends on your particular newsreader,
and there's no shortage to choose from, so if you don't like the interface of your news client, get
a new news client that you *do* like!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Originally posted by Robert Bruce
I couldn't agree less. Web interfaces to discussion groups are the work of lucifer hisself. I used to frequent the developer newsgroups at DevX until, a few weeks ago, they were closed down and replaced by a web interface. Users were promised questionable 'benefits' such as avatars and bloody smileys in exchange for much slower response (particularly on dial-up, of course) and advertising all over the place. No thank you. I now only visit news.microsoft.com - also the work of an evil one, of course, but one that I've sold my soul to as a .NET developer...

Well, I agree with you about the speed issue, that's why I only post here when I'm at work, because of the high-speed connection. At home with my 56k, I'd never dream of trying to use these forums!

The smilies here are too limited anyway, there should be plenty of 'em to allow the full range of fury to be expressed. I particularly like the "smilie" that gives you the finger - now that would be useful here on occasion ;)

I have 24 hour access to a LAN so internet speed is not so much of an issue for me. (The Uni network is sweet!)

How would I set this up as a newsgroup? I'd like to give it a try, and then decide.

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:01:05 GMT, davebee wrote:
> How would I set this up as a newsgroup? I'd like to give it a try, and then decide.

Using Outlook Express (not Outlook!), first download and install OE-QuoteFix from http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-
quotefix/ Next, add a new account via the menu Tools > Accounts > Add > News. Enter a name, e-mail
address and news server. Your ISP probably has a news server and named it
"news.nameofyourisp.co.uk". If you access your provider's news server on their own network, you
won't need to log on using a username/password. If your ISP does not have a news server (not
likely) try a free one like news.individual.net (they do require you to log on, see
http://www.individual.net/). After you created the account, you can download the list of available
news groups among which should be uk.rec.cycling, and subscribe to one or more of them.
Subscribing means nothing more than "show in list of subscribed news groups". There's no fee or
extra info needed.

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:01:05 GMT, davebee <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I have 24 hour access to a LAN so internet speed is not so much of an issue for me. (The Uni
> network is sweet!)
>
> How would I set this up as a newsgroup? I'd like to give it a try, and then decide.

Get yourself an newsreader for whatever platform you use (For Windows look at FreeAgent, Gravity,
Opera...) Set it up to access the your uni newsserver (nntp address available from your compter
service webpages/helpdesk). Choose uk.rec.cycling.

Colin
--

davebee wrote:

> How would I set this up as a newsgroup? I'd like to give it a try, and then decide.

You'll need a client that understands news, and access to a server that provides it. Point client at
server, subscribe, and that's pretty much it.

I quite like the Netscape/Mozilla news client. I certainly find it vastly superior to any web based
forum I've ever looked at.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

In news:[email protected],
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> typed:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:01:05 GMT, davebee wrote:
>> How would I set this up as a newsgroup? I'd like to give it a try, and then decide.
>
> Using Outlook Express (not Outlook!), first download and install OE-QuoteFix from http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-
> quotefix/ Next, add a new account via the menu Tools > Accounts > Add > News. Enter a name, e-mail
> address and news server. Your ISP probably has a news server and named it
> "news.nameofyourisp.co.uk".

presumably news.man.ac.uk or news.mcc.ac.uk . I forget which it is, as back in the day when I were
there, they didn't have the LAN in halls. At least not when I was in halls.

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:36:36 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:
> I quite like the Netscape/Mozilla news client. I certainly find it vastly superior to any web
> based forum I've ever looked at.

Yes, see http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:01:05 GMT someone who may be davebee
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I have 24 hour access to a LAN so internet speed is not so much of an issue for me. (The Uni
>network is sweet!)
>
>How would I set this up as a newsgroup? I'd like to give it a try, and then decide.

1) Find out if the university allows access to a news server.

2) Get a suitable news reader, such as Free Agent and install it on a computer. The university
probably has them set up in places anyway.

3) Set the reader up with the appropriate information.

How much of this is possible at your university I have no idea.

test.

Ok, I have just figured out how to access newsgroups via my uni connection and want to see how it
works. First impressions are its horrible because the replies are not as easy to find. On cycling
forums you can just scroll down the replies.

David Waters wrote:
> test.
>
> Ok, I have just figured out how to access newsgroups via my uni connection and want to see how it
> works. First impressions are its horrible because the replies are not as easy to find. On cycling
> forums you can just scroll down the replies.

OK. I have just downloaded the Mozilla thingy and it is far superior to either the Outlook (which is
very very poor) and is also better than the web based version. I stand corrected. (bah!)

McBain_v1 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Well, I agree with you about the speed issue, that's why I only post here when I'm at work,
> because of the high-speed connection. At home with my 56k, I'd never dream of trying to use
> these forums!

There is no need for a web-based front end to use URC, which is a text only news group and is ideal
for use with a dial-up line. There are a number of downloadable freeware news clients, any one of
which will be vastly superior to any web-based interface. Try for example Forte Free Agent. You go
on-line for a few seconds to download new headers. You mark the ones you want to retrieve and go
back on line for a minute or so to download those. You then read them and compose your replies and
any new messages off-line before going back on-line for a further few seconds to post them and again
retrieve new headers. You can also follow any number of news groups at the same time. If you think
cyclingforums.com is a good interface to URC the threading capabilities of a decent news client will
come as a revelation.

--
Dave...

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:28:57 +0000, David Waters wrote:
> OK. I have just downloaded the Mozilla thingy and it is far superior to either the Outlook (which
> is very very poor)

Both OE and Moz can display the messages threaded or unthreaded.

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:28:57 +0000, David Waters wrote:
> > OK. I have just downloaded the Mozilla thingy and it is far superior to either the Outlook
> > (which is very very poor)
>
> Both OE and Moz can display the messages threaded or unthreaded.

errr, does anyone else just do google, then groups, then cycling? or am I missing something? ;-)

In message <[email protected]>, MartinM <[email protected]> writes
>Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:28:57 +0000, David Waters wrote:
>> > OK. I have just downloaded the Mozilla thingy and it is far superior to either the Outlook
>> > (which is very very poor)
>>
>> Both OE and Moz can display the messages threaded or unthreaded.
>
>errr, does anyone else just do google, then groups, then cycling? or am I missing something?

what you missing is that using Google is slow and tedious (as any other web based forum tends to be)

I do use the odd web based forum, but only in places where there is low traffic, and no ng/mail list
alternative.

In the time I can read a few threads on a web base forum I can have whizzed through a load on my
newsreader.
--
Chris French, Leeds