(cyclingnews) News Shorts: Vuelta Mexico Cancelled

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
2015 Vuelta Mexico cancelled
Organisers of the 2015 Vuelta Mexico, which was scheduled to start on Tuesday, announced late Friday night that the UCI 2.2 race has been cancelled this year.
"I regret to inform you that despite invested much time and effort, 'Vuelta Mexico 2015,' to be held on 3 to 8 March 2015, has been canceled," organisers said in a statement sent to teams that had planned to attend.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The present financial situation of the country is very serious and administrative problems we face are not proportional to the effort and energy that the Mexican Cycling Federation AC and CONADE have invested so that it could carry out in a timely manner. We know that this cancellation of the event will affect the National Cycling. The lack of financial support from the private sector and budget cuts are the only reason we have to cancel the 2015 Vuelta Mexico."
US Continental teams SmartStop and Airgas-Safeway planned to compete in the race this year. Optum Pro Cycling's Eric Young won the final stage of last year's race, which was also attended by SmartStop, Jamis-Hagens Berman, Novo Nordisk and 5-hour Energy. Juan Pablo Villegas, who currently rides for SmartStop, won three stages and the overall last year while riding with 4-72 Colombia.
"It's a shame," said SmartStop director Michael Creed. "We had a really strong team and I looked forward to seeing the hard work of the offseason to be shown off. I'm working hard now to find a replacement."

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com

View the full article