CyclingPeaks Question (how much computer?)

Steelhead

Jun 17, 2004
I bought a PowerTap SL and want to purchase CyclingPeaks WKO, but being a Mac User, I'm trying to figure out what to do about using it:

1. run it in virtual PC (by most accounts an annoying dog of an app): $200
2. wait till I can afford a new MacBook with intel dual core, then buy windows and install: $2,400 (and wasted time)
3. buy a cheap windows laptop and have yet another piece of techno-rubbish laying around our small apartment: $3–400 [???]

Option 3 would seem to be a no-brainer. I guess what I need to know is how much machine does one need to run CyclingPeaks smoothly? How much ram/processor/disk space, etc.? Money is very tight for me presently. I was looking at refurbished units on eBay such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-NC4010-PM-1-...QQihZ019QQcategoryZ140082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Perhaps I don't need this much speed/ram. . . Any opinions? Please understand that I am utterly windows illiterate.

Sorry to bug you about such dull nonsense.

Steelhead said:
I bought a PowerTap SL and want to purchase CyclingPeaks WKO, but being a Mac User, I'm trying to figure out what to do about using it:

1. run it in virtual PC (by most accounts an annoying dog of an app): $200
2. wait till I can afford a new MacBook with intel dual core, then buy windows and install: $2,400 (and wasted time)
3. buy a cheap windows laptop and have yet another piece of techno-rubbish laying around our small apartment: $3–400 [???]

Option 3 would seem to be a no-brainer. I guess what I need to know is how much machine does one need to run CyclingPeaks smoothly? How much ram/processor/disk space, etc.? Money is very tight for me presently. I was looking at refurbished units on eBay such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-NC4010-PM-1-7Ghz-DVD-CDRW-12-1-WiFi-1GB-60-Slim_W0QQitemZ290021146105QQihZ019QQcategoryZ140082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Perhaps I don't need this much speed/ram. . . Any opinions? Please understand that I am utterly windows illiterate.

Sorry to bug you about such dull nonsense.
i have a dual 2GHz G5 and i run CyclingPeaks in VPC - Windows XP... works fine.. but yes it is annoying to run that peice of **** on my machine but it is literally the only app i open in VPC and it runs fine... open it to run VPC and close it... can use windows NT or 2000 if your machine is not too powerfull... i didn't want another computer cluttering up my place so option 3 wasn't an option for me

I run Cycling Peaks on a P3-750mHz with 398 megs of ram with windows xp.
It runs just fine. I haven't tried it on my old p2 laptop.

Phil

Steelhead said:

For that much check your sunday morning paper... nearly all of the big box stores have a $399 laptop right now, brand new.

If I were you I'd check craigslist for a used p3 desktop. Should be able to get one with a monitor for under $100. I was running CP on a PIII 600 with no problems whatsoever.