CyclingPeaks Version 2.0!

I feel compelled to come to the defense of Tri Tigger. He did after all purchase CyclingPeaks v1.1 only two weeks ago!

I nearly found myself in the same boat -- buying two licenses on the eve of the release of the new version of CP -- when in the course of trading a few emails with support at CP I learned that there was no accommodation for those who bought v1.1 in the days and weeks prior to the release of the new version. I had a clue that a new version was due out as I had done some digging and stumbled across a page on the CP site saying that support for Garmin products was coming in May. I specifically asked support whether Garmin support was part of a major release and whether I would be required to pay to upgrade the two new licenses in order to get current. This question wasn't answered directly, but at least I knew enough to delay my purchase.

At the time I was surprised there was no policy to accommodate new purchasers as it is indeed common practice to offer no-charge upgrades to those who purchase a desktop application license just prior to the release of a new version. Such a policy benefits both the publisher and the consumer and is, in my opinion, simply sound customer-focused business practice. Case in point: if CP had such a policy they'd already have my money for the two new licenses!

If CP had such a policy this thread would be about the great new features in v2.0 and how we, as CP users, can benefit from them. Instead it's about people who feel they got duped and others flaming them.

I'm positive most on this forum feel that CP is a great deal (I do), especially considering the value it adds to our expensive power meters. My take on the discussion in this thread is that it's not so much about the cost of the upgrade, which is in the grand scheme of things trivial, but whether or not people who just bought the product got a fair shake considering the version release date wasn't readily available. On that matter, I'm with Tri Tigger. And Frenk. And wilmar13.

Hunter knows who purchased CP when. As a fan of CyclingPeaks it is my sincere hope that the company email $25 discount coupon codes to those who purchased the product within thirty days of the new release.

Thanks.

p.s.: I too read the CP forum post Tri Tigger refers to (I was looking for information and a release date for v2.0). I recall thinking at the time the post was misleading, or at least ambiguous, and that a reasonable person could infer that upgrades were free of charge. However I think an ambiguous forum post does not constitute a promise for free lifetime upgrades. As a further aside, I have purchased several software products which offered free lifetime upgrades. These were for v1.x products from companies looking for early adopters to help them gain a foothold in their market niche.

retrograde said:
Hunter knows who purchased CP when. As a fan of CyclingPeaks it is my sincere hope that the company email discount coupon codes for $25 to those who purchased the product within thirty days of the new release.
Considering the frustration of those who purchased v1.1 very recently only to find out a new version was just about to get out the door as they were placing their orders for the old version, and would've waited for the release of the new version had they known it, I think this suggestion is fair and reasonable.

No, I wouldn't benefit from it as I've been using CP 1.1 for much longer than thirty days now.;)

sugaken said:
Considering the frustration of those who purchased v1.1 very recently only to find out a new version was just about to get out the door as they were placing their orders for the old version, and would've waited for the release of the new version had they known it, I think this suggestion is fair and reasonable.

It would, however, leave those who bought CyclingPeaks 31 d ago feeling left out in the cold...

(Again, please note that I have absolutely nothing to do with TrainingPeaks marketing or pricing strategies. I'm just pointing out that there is no solution that will satisfy everyone.)

acoggan said:
It would, however, leave those who bought CyclingPeaks 31 d ago feeling left out in the cold...
Sure, but those people had one month to use the v1.1, so it's different from the people who had barely time to install the thing onto their PCs, isn't it?

acoggan said:
I'm just pointing out that there is no solution that will satisfy everyone.
I agree with you on that. You can't make everyone happy, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and thirty day discount period sounds, to me at least, somewhat more reasonable than zero day discount period. That's all.

sugaken said:

No, I wouldn't benefit from it as I've been using CP 1.1 for much longer than thirty days now.;)
Actually, I think they should use v1.1 for a year as I have. It works fine. In fact, I have a friend who just recently got a PT SL (on my suggestion). He hasn't bought CP yet and if CP were still available at its old price I would have him buy it instead of WKO+ because I think it will be awhile before he can take advantage of the additional features of WKO+. I think they should continue to sell CP at the old price as well as WKO+ at its price.

RapDaddyo said:
Actually, I think they should use v1.1 for a year as I have.
Those of us who decide or want to continue to use CP v1.1 (like I do at the moment) can do so whether TP offers a discount for v2.0 or not.

I just think it's a whole different story for those who would've waited for the new release had they known it was coming within the next N days.

All I'm saying is that I can understand such people's frustration, and it would seem to be fair if TP offered them with some discounts.

sugaken said:
Those of us who decide or want to continue to use CP v1.1 (like I do at the moment) can do so whether TP offers a discount for v2.0 or not.

I just think it's a whole different story for those who would've waited for the new release had they known it was coming within the next N days.

All I'm saying is that I can understand such people's frustration, and it would seem to be fair if TP offered them with some discounts.
And what I'm saying is that this is not just a new release of v1.1. It is a substantially different product and I don't know why anyone (me included) should feel that they have some rights to it based on when they bought the prior product. If the product they bought doesn't perform as advertised, they have a complaint, but if the product they bought performs as advertised I don't see that they have a complaint. Now, if the new version was promoted and if buyers of the old version were made some promises about discounts or something when it became available, that would be a different matter. But, I don't see that that is the case. BTW, I don't have any relationship to CP other than being a satisfied user. But, I have been in the software biz most of my career.

RapDaddyo said:
It is a substantially different product

Stepping away from the whole pricing/upgrade issue for a moment: a lot of people seem to have overlooked this aspect, in particular the fact that WKO+ now handles inputs from a variety of devices, not just powermeters. So, for example, if you run using a footpod or GPS device, it will track your mean maximal pace, etc. This means that the program is now much more valuable to, e.g., triathletes, even if developing this aspect means that some other things (e.g., quadrant analysis) specific to cycling had to be put on the backburner.

RapDaddyo said:
Actually, I think they should use v1.1 for a year as I have. It works fine. In fact, I have a friend who just recently got a PT SL (on my suggestion). He hasn't bought CP yet and if CP were still available at its old price I would have him buy it instead of WKO+ because I think it will be awhile before he can take advantage of the additional features of WKO+. I think they should continue to sell CP at the old price as well as WKO+ at its price.
I have an athelete who bought the new version. The files do not open in the original version. Is there a way around this?

jetnjeff said:
I have an athelete who bought the new version. The files do not open in the original version. Is there a way around this?
I don't know. I confess that I don't have the new version yet. Andy can probably tell you. He seems to have multiple copies up and running.

jetnjeff said:
On the topica list the answer was given as no. You have to have version 2.0 to read version 2.0 files.

I think it might be possible to export to another format from WKO and then import it in 1.1.

Export it as csv or something in WKO and then import the csv into CP 1.1.

RapDaddyo said:
Now, if the new version was promoted and if buyers of the old version were made some promises about discounts or something when it became available, that would be a different matter. But, I don't see that that is the case.
RapDaddyo, does this count as a new version being promoted? It doesn't sound like "a substantially different product" (to use your words). The use of "fully support" makes it sound like it is a small upgrade. I guess if I was to have thought about it at the time, I might have thought it was a "BIG" upgrade but as Hunter said, "BIG" upgrades can be downloaded.

CyclingPeaks website said:
Updated April 22, 2006

CyclingPeaks Software™ was developed by the leading experts in training.

Look for CyclingPeaks to fully support all Garmin Edge and Forerunner products coming in May, 2006.

Finally, the power and ease you have come to expect will be available for Garmin's incredible line of products.

You can expect:
  • Unbeatable lap/split analysis
  • Superior altitude support
  • Easily edit your raw data
  • Seamless compatibility with Google Earth
  • Fully supports Pace
  • Support for Running, Swimming, Cycling and other workout types
  • Improved graphing customization
  • One click upload to TrainingPeaks.com
  • New metrics like Mean Maximal Pace
  • Powerful comparison features to track your progress
And much much more! Please check back!
As Hunter said on his forum:

Hunter on Cyclingpeaks forum said:
We are constantly making small changes and sometimes BIG changes and posting on the site for download
Does that fall within your definition of "or something"?

For the avoidance of doubt, I read this before I bought Cyclingpeaks (otherwise how would I know to search google's cached pages to find this when it was no longer on the cyclingpeaks website).

sugaken said:

I understand as well. But say cyclingpeaks announces version 2 is coming out in one month. Guess what? Now everyone who bought v1 the day before *that* is angry for the same reason. It was made clear that v2 would be coming out some time soon, and choosing to buy version 1 during that time period was a risk that some people chose to take.

whoawhoa said:
(...) It was made clear that v2 would be coming out some time soon (...)

:confused: how? where? On cp's website there was definitely nothing.

frenk said:
:confused: how? where? On cp's website there was definitely nothing.

Not sure where, but I knew about it about two months ago.

For what I use CyclingPeaks for I will be sticking with 1.1 till I have 4 riders training by power and need to upgrade to unlimited athletes. This more than any of the new features.

Based on my use of CyclingPeaks (powertap or srm for cycling only) 2.0 is like a small upgrade not a whole new programme.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

But, I upgraded my 1.1 to Coach (to enter more athletes) 3 weeks ago and NOBODY told me that there was an upgrade in the pipe. Funny. But, I was able to upgrade coach to unlimited using the 'upgrading' feature. This is pricey as I'm a volunteer coach and do not charge anything, and am reluctant to send the software bill to the community club.

Hunter w/kg said:
www.CyclingPeaksSoftware.com

Yes, it’s true! We have been working hard and have it ready for you!

Made for all of our loyal customers, we have listened to your requests for new features
and know you’ll enjoy!

-Improved Calendar- Filter your workouts in your Calendar now!

-Power Profiling ! Click a button, see your Power Profile!
-Chalkboard- View your custom charts for subsets of data. Want to see charts just for your 2x 20’s? Now you can in the Chalkboard.
- Manual Entry- Enter in your TSS scores for days you didnb t use your PM.
-Overlap Mean Maximal Power Curves
-Printing!
- GPS support- Directly download your Garmin device and view in Google Earth.

I hope this helps you take your training and racing with a power meter to another level.
Enjoy Version 2.0 !

Feel free to contact us with any questions support AT cyclingpeakssoftware.com

Hunter Allen
President
CyclingPeaks Software
Hi there,
firstly, I'm enjoying CP2, but cant for the life of me, find what 'VI' is a measurement of(on the graph page)?. I've looked through the userguide and probably missed it.
Would love to know what it is?

Secondly, Hunter, I cant say enough good stuff about your 8 week TT training plan. I'm just starting week 6, with some events looming in the near future, and I feel confident already. These sessions hit you from all angles, which is something I would never have dreamed up on my own, and I can see their application(or at least how they are preparing me for different elements of a TT, whatever the topography might be). My main aim is to go under the hour for a 25m(40k), and this plan is preparing me for the event more efficiently than anything I've ever read or been told about. I'll let you know when it happens.

AndROOb said:
Hi there,
firstly, I'm enjoying CP2, but cant for the life of me, find what 'VI' is a measurement of(on the graph page)?. I've looked through the userguide and probably missed it.
Would love to know what it is?
VI = variability index = normalized power/average power