Cyclist age in your area

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
What is the most common age demographic of cyclist where you ride? Where I live, it seems like most are in the 40s-60s. I'm 29 and don't see too many cyclist in my age group, probably less than 10%. Seeing a cyclist in their early 20's is even rarer.

Pretty much about the same around here. I figure us older guys don't have to worry about kids and families as much as the younger punks. Not to mention we don't hang out at bars and parties. Then there is the thought that we have learned to respect our bodies at this point. We think more of ways to look for health benefits to keep ups healthy into our old age.

Plus we have more time to ride. Which makes many of the older guys strong riders. I've had a few guys who were early 20's show up on rides and say, "I'm going to kick your ass old man!". Uhhh yeeeah OK! :D

Where I live there are more younger riders than older riders. But still you can get someone aged 70 cycling, women and men. There are more cyclists since we are living in a relatively flat area without mountains.

I'm 70 and have been riding since 1988. I was a marathon runner and picked up cycling to use as a cross training sport. Eventually, I picked up plantar faciitis and quit running altogether. I enjoyed cycling so much more. Most of the guys I ride with are either in their middle 40's to early 60's. There is a group that has a whole lot of 70 and 80 year-old riders and even a 94-year old, but that group is slower than molasses. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I'm still faster than those old fogies. I wish I had started cycling in my 20's. I have seen so many talented juniors just hang it up and never ride again.

I see about the same amount of older and younger riders in my area, but at different times of the day. Older riders usually ride during the day and younger riders are in the afternoon.

I see about the same amount of older and younger riders in my area, but at different times of the day. Older riders usually ride during the day and younger riders are in the afternoon.
That is the problem with answering these types of questions. When and where you ride determines what you see. I like to see the wild life on the multi-use paths. But I do ride on some roads that serious guys train on.

I see a lot of younger people out there. The younger guys tend to ride on the roads rather than the multi-use paths. But I also see a good number of younger commuters on the multi-use path.

Weekends and holidays I see a lot of adults with their kids - from toddlers to teens, on the multi-use paths. I see a lot of young people at the woods on the dirt trails.

If I wanted to see the want to be racers, I know where and when to find them. But I am not interested in looking for them and my training does not involve them.

I'm not really sure about that legal cycling age in my area but I do see a lot of kids who are about 17 biking around. However I almost never see anyone above 30 on a cycle lately :p I guess they travel long distances so a car makes more sense

50-80 for the 'average' area club member.
30-50 average area racer.

On the paved multi-use trails (Rails-to-Trails) there seems to be the widest age range of cyclists. Young adults with their kids, all riding; middle-age folks and, of course, lots of older folks. Most of the combined categories are made up of recreational riders, fitness riders and sight seeing types with a very small percentage of weekend warriors, hard core roadies and racer types.

If you mean the riders inside our village, it is a merry mix - maybe from 12 years old up to 80 years old. From a rough count, there are more than 50 riders inside the village that partake in the oval park. But outside of the village, most group riders I see are in the age range of 25 to 50 years. They are the strong ones that I think are semi professionals if not real professionals.

In my place it is very rare for people to cycle on the roads. I live in a big city and the road is always full of vehicular traffic; there is no designated cycling lane. In fact once I was even ridiculed for riding a cycle on the road. Even those who do cycle within their apartment complexes are mostly kids under 15 years of age. When you get older cycling goes out of fashion.

It is about 30 to 40s where I live because lots of employees ride to work normally. The city I live is really busy and tough, so cycling to work is easiest way to traffic.

I think that the average age for the people riding bikes where I live has to be around 30 or less. I say this because I do see a lot of kids, so that's something very positive.

I think that the average age for the people riding bikes where I live has to be around 30 or less. I say this because I do see a lot of kids, so that's something very positive.
Yup, kids will not think about too much before doing something good. They always have positive attitude to everything.

Cycling has always been a young man's pastime in my country. Actually, the majority of cyclists are high school kids, just as it was back in my day. I still see a lot of guys in their 20's and 30's riding around, which is a positive sign.

hah! I'm 18 and I rarely see anyone in my age on a pretty good road bike, mainly the older folks and such. I was on my huge trip and I passed this guy on his cervelo coming to catch up to me. He was in his 40s and we had a pretty nice conversation for about life for about 15 miles. That was fun!

I think most in my area are in their 20's to 30's and usually are single and thus like to look like a pro cyclists though most of them are drug store racers. I'm 63 and been riding since I was a little kid and never really stopped, I bought my first serious road bike in 1973 a Trek TX900 with Campy Nuovo Record stuff (wish I still had that bike) and tried to race but ended up selling it a year later because dates couldn't relate to a guy that had a nicer bike than his car was! Nor could they relate to some nut who wanted to ride all over mountain roads! I was born too soon, nowadays I could probably find a few women who could dig that. So I sold the bike and got a nicer car and got back into running for a few years; then around about 1978 I got back into racing and got really serious in 1983 and raced at a CAT 3 level until around 1988 when family, work, and money for all the traveling etc just wasn't worth it any more to continue so I stopped racing, but I continued to ride to this very day.

The "serious" cyclists where I live are 40+, however I am seeing a rise of more young people out on their bikes (mostly young men, teenagers) at the moment, which I like. I think they're using it as a way of getting around rather than because it's a sport, but I don't think it matters as long as they're engaging with the sport!

Around where I live, the age tends to be from mid thirties upwards I'd say, and that hasn't really changed much in a number of years.

I'm seeing new riders around now, but they're still in their 30's usually before they are taking it up properly as a hobby.

I rarely see anyone riding where I am now. In Texas it was usually college age kids, and now and again I would see 30 somethings. There was only one other old fart my age I'd see occasionally , and he might have been younger than me.

Here in Portugal, the average is around 20-30, maybe even younger. The old people don't use it too much, I don't even remember a old person riding a bike.