Cyclist are wussies and motorcyclist are manly men

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
Nothing against motorcyclist, but why do people see them as tough and bikers as wussies? With one, you have to use man power and the other....gasoline..Is it the leather Jacket vs Lycra or the general annoyance some have for sharing the road?

Reactions: AryaSnark
Umm, I'm a bicyclist and a motorcyclist. I certainly hope I'm not manly! I'm just a girl that likes two wheels at a time. . .

Reactions: Velos and ItsikH
Maybe they're seen as more masculine because if you come off a bicycle then while you can injure yourself, it's not often that people suffer life threatening injuries or death, whereas on a motorcycle a lot of people do.

You have to admit, it takes some nerve to ride a bike at 60/70/80mph. I'm a motorcyclist aswell as a push bike user so I guess I'm just a bigger fan of 2 wheels than 4.

I have ridden both road racing bicycles and motorcycles all of my adult life. Bicycles started around the age of 6 and motorcycles around the age of 12 or 13.

They both have attributes that require their riders to be tough, strong and resolute.

How difficult is it to pick up a 17 pound racing bicycle from the ground after a crash?
How difficult is it to pick up a 500+ pound motorcycle from the ground after a crash?

How difficult is it to ride a racing bicycle 100 miles over hilly terrain?
How difficult is it to ride a motorcycle 100 miles over hilly terrain?

The next time a motorcyclist implies that lycra-clad cyclists are pussies, tell him you will swap rides for the next 100 miles of the journey. We'll see who is tough.

Note to prospects: You better be able to stand that dresser back up if you drop it. We'll see who is tough.

I come from a family who ride motorcycles as well as bikes and I respect both. with both need to keep your wits about you and with both you always need to look out for morons trying to kill you.

Only real difference is speed and weight.

I like being a big boy on the bike. I've had a few pull up to stop signs next to me and look over as if they had planned to give me "the look". I give it to them first. Never had a problem with bikers looking at me like a sissy. :D

Reactions: Susimi
I definitely don't see it that way. I don't have stereotypes like that. I think the people that come up with stuff like that are trying to make up for their own insecurities.

I like being a big boy on the bike. I've had a few pull up to stop signs next to me and look over as if they had planned to give me "the look". I give it to them first. Never had a problem with bikers looking at me like a sissy. :D

A little unrelated but I've had that so many times when a boy racer has pulled up next to me, revving his engine wanting a race off the lights, only to realise I was turning left as the lights go green! :D

Nothing against motorcyclist, but why do people see them as tough and bikers as wussies? With one, you have to use man power and the other....gasoline..Is it the leather Jacket vs Lycra or the general annoyance some have for sharing the road?

You have some issues, because this isn't true in the slightest.

Btw, I could see myself riding a motorcycle and do think they can be cool under the right circumstances. I would never want one in my current location with my current salary though. Since they aren't a very practical form of transportation (weather conditions) and don't give you a workout, id see it as a toy (a cool toy, but toy none the less).

You have some issues, because this isn't true in the slightest.

I do have some issues:mad:,but what isn't true in the slightest? I've been witness to people mocking cyclist for "their tights" and have had motorist try to intimidate me on a few occasions. Hell, my 4 and 8 year old niece have commented on the way cyclist dress and asked me if I dress like that when I ride. They were laughing up a storm at this guy in his gear.Motorcycles have been on the "cool list" since their creation and bikes..... not so much. I'm referring to public perception and not my own current opinions. Also, I will be the first to admit I never thought id wear lycra in a billion years before I started cycling.

I remember this Karate Kid scene from when I was a kid... Even the movies say a bike is what you use to get pushed into a ditch.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Kids adopt the attitudes they are taught, maybe you should have a discussion with their parents.

Kids will think something is funny that they aren't use to seeing, a few giggles about seeing a cyclist wearing tights isn't exactly cause for an intervention...."Why so serious"?

It's not about manly men. It's about exercise and passion. If you like to cycle, then do it. Don't worry about what someone else thinks!

Why are cyclists concerning themselves with what other people think anyway? I couldn't care less what people think about me whatever I'm riding or driving to be honest.

I have an HGV license as I used to deliver food goods to supermarkets for a living long haul. I also have a car and motorbike license aswell as riding a push bike so I've seen all sides.

Most of the motorcyclists I see return a low wave (rubber side down at the very least. Some motorcyclists even initiate the brotherhood of two wheels wave to me.

I've never been harassed by any 'biker' types. I've never experienced any motorcycle rider pass me dangerously or throw something at me or yell a curse to me or ride their bike like I was invisible.

A neighbor high-jacked me two Summers ago when I just got back from a bicycle ride and was still wearing Lycra road shorts and a jersey. We ended up hitting a couple of the local dives for a couple/twelve cold ones. One of the bars was what would colloquially be known as a 'biker bar'. The only people inside were biker types. No problems at all. Talked about both types of bikes and enjoyed the company.

We're all out on the same roads with the same much larger and heavier vehicles. We are all exposed to the same dangers and risks. And as I stated above, both types of bikes have their own set of challenges to go with.

Respect to all, unless they prove themselves unworthy.

Reactions: pwarbi
This was more a question out of curiosity, not something I think about much. Also, motorcyclist have generally been positive to me while cycling.

To the many post that say "who cares what people think about cyclist", I couldn't disagree more.
Having an uninformed public is outright dangerous. Do you know how many people think cyclist are suppose to be on the sidewalk, yet its illegal? Or how many young drivers don't know what a hand turn signal is? People need to know that a bicycle has all the rights a motor vehicle does. When i'm out riding, I let the car go first when we arrive at a stop the same time. If i'm driving, i'll let the cyclist go ahead of me.

Basically, having a positive image insures a higher standard of safety.

Reactions: Bicycleman
It's the media. The media is always the answer. Been messing people's minds up for centuries. The first time I seen a manly motorcycle group was on Spongebob. And they turned out to be fragile old men! Everyone was afraid of them before they even seen them. The next group I remember seeing was from the Impractical Jokers, a comedy show. They were gruff people. A motorcycle doesn't make you look manly. Having the ability to pedal uphill is manly.