Cyclist are wussies and motorcyclist are manly men

So a group of motorcyclist wasn't too happy that I wasn't moving fast enough for them and one gave me the finger. I thought about this post and laughed.

I used to have a coworker, who hated cyclists. He was always griping that they were slowing him down and how they didn't belong on the roads. Every time there is a bicycle accident or a cyclist gets killed, he forwards me the news article. He still consider me a sissy because I wear lycra. He calls cyclists spandex cowboys in their shiney hineys. I just tell him to go on his fat jealous way.

I know a few people like this.
I just remind them that it's not the bikers fault they cannot manager their time properly, because if having to wait a handful of mins to safety pass by a bike is the difference between being late and on time, well you are just a **** and have terrible time management skills.
They don't like that answer.

Honestly though each bike on the road is one less car, which actually in the grand scheme of things makes traffic flow faster.

I just remind them that it's not the bikers fault they cannot manager their time properly, because if having to wait a handful of mins to safety pass by a bike is the difference between being late and on time, well you are just a **** and have terrible time management skills.

Honestly though each bike on the road is one less car, which actually in the grand scheme of things makes traffic flow faster.

I remember back long before I started cycling and encountering cyclists riding to work. They were hard to pass, which made it difficult for motorists, who wanted to get to work. Traffic was bad enough as it was. I remember being so happy when I managed to pass the cyclist, only to miss a stop light and have the rider blow through the stop light. Then I had to pass him all over again. So to keep the cyclist from breaking the law, I would pull way over almost to the curb to keep him from passing me. I remember a lot of them cursing me out, but hey, it was a matter that they were breaking the law. Now, I'm a cyclist, and I won't ride busy city streets if I can help it, unless I'm on a sanctioned ride. I live in the country so don't have to fight stop lights and the like. All of us who do brevets often have to ride on city streets just because the ride goes that way, but we all adhere to road signs. It makes for better relationships with drivers, some times, anyway.

So a group of motorcyclist wasn't too happy that I wasn't moving fast enough for them and one gave me the finger. I thought about this post and laughed.

I've had some drivers pass real close, laying on their horns. I see them checking their rear view mirrors to see if I'll flip them off. That's their cue to back up and want to fight. Those types are out there just to pick fights. It's okay for them to harass us, but we better not do it back. Most of the guys I ride with are active duty or retired military so woe unto any, who mess with them.

I had a similar thing on the motorway last week. I was in the outside lane with a little distance to the car in front due to wet conditions and we were doing about 70-75. A motorbike comes up behind me and starts flashing his lights a couple times. He then passes me on the inside and as he does he revs his engine, then gets right on the bumper of the guy in front.

Probably because they are numb after those long rides.;)

For god sake don't tell the wife that! :D

I think that's just a stereotype.. we can't judge people just based on that. We're focusing only on appearances. It's just a wrong idea and thinking all around.

I know right. Just because motorcycles make more noise and are more noticeable doesn't mean that it makes them more of a man.

I remember back long before I started cycling and encountering cyclists riding to work. They were hard to pass, which made it difficult for motorists, who wanted to get to work. Traffic was bad enough as it was. I remember being so happy when I managed to pass the cyclist, only to miss a stop light and have the rider blow through the stop light. Then I had to pass him all over again. So to keep the cyclist from breaking the law, I would pull way over almost to the curb to keep him from passing me. I remember a lot of them cursing me out, but hey, it was a matter that they were breaking the law. Now, I'm a cyclist, and I won't ride busy city streets if I can help it, unless I'm on a sanctioned ride. I live in the country so don't have to fight stop lights and the like. All of us who do brevets often have to ride on city streets just because the ride goes that way, but we all adhere to road signs. It makes for better relationships with drivers, some times, anyway.

You know I take a little bit of an issue with that.
Unless you are a police officer, it's not up to you stop people from braking traffic laws.
What you did was not only dangerous, but in certain jurisdictions vigilantism is a crime worst then traffic offenses.

You know I take a little bit of an issue with that.
Unless you are a police officer, it's not up to you stop people from braking traffic laws.
What you did was not only dangerous, but in certain jurisdictions vigilantism is a crime worst then traffic offenses.

I guess you do have an issue with my maneuver. You are probably one of those cyclists who likes to blow through lights. You seem to believe that what I did occurred while the cyclist was passing me. No, you need to read what I wrote again. I never did that, but when I passed the cyclist and then had to stop for the light, I noticed him about 100 yards away. That's when I got close to the curb. That's my right. I was already in the right lane, and there is no law that says I must be in the middle of the lane are hugging the curb. If so, then every school bus driver I see on Virginia roads is breaking the law, since they are always next to the curb. Stop this guy from breaking the law? He just went around me and rode on the sidewalk. Riding on the sidewalk is against the law in Virginia, but there are lots of people and kids who do.

How is what I did dangerous? Are you insinuating that a cyclist will try to ride through a hole that does not exist?

No cars on the road, only bikes? Never happen. I would have loved to ride to work, but my time schedule and the distance I lived from the work site, precluded that, but getting off at 2:30 and getting home by 3:30 afforded me much time to ride the bike, unless I traveled, which destroyed my bike conditioning. Then I had to run early in the morning before I went to work. I stayed in shape but not for the bike. You have to ride the bike to be in shape for bike events. Running doesn't help you, except to give you overall endurance.

I guess you do have an issue with my maneuver. You are probably one of those cyclists who likes to blow through lights. You seem to believe that what I did occurred while the cyclist was passing me. No, you need to read what I wrote again. I never did that, but when I passed the cyclist and then had to stop for the light, I noticed him about 100 yards away. That's when I got close to the curb. That's my right. I was already in the right lane, and there is no law that says I must be in the middle of the lane are hugging the curb. If so, then every school bus driver I see on Virginia roads is breaking the law, since they are always next to the curb. Stop this guy from breaking the law? He just went around me and rode on the sidewalk. Riding on the sidewalk is against the law in Virginia, but there are lots of people and kids who do.

How is what I did dangerous? Are you insinuating that a cyclist will try to ride through a hole that does not exist?

I could be one of them that blows lights, and I could not be. You have no idea which one, for all you know I could stop at every traffic light 100% of the time.
Bit of backpedaling eh? I read what you wrote which was "So to keep the cyclist from breaking the law, I would pull way over almost to the curb to keep him from passing me" clearly you made your actions with the full intent of dispensing vigilantly justice on that moving-violation committing cyclist. It's very disingenuous to then just say "oh well I was just driving within my right everyone drives like that even the sweet ol' ladies driving kids to school." You showed your true colours that yes even though you broke no laws you hugged the curb with the intent of stopping the biker from proceeding.
What's dangerous is when people think they are police officers and that other people using the road need to taught a lesson or they need to take actions to prevent traffic offenses. Yes people using all kinds of vehicles break the law, cars speed and don't signal and bikes blow stops and ride on the sidewalk. It is not up to you and me to take action against them, that's the job of LEO's. If you have an issue with that talk to your local government rep or community-policing rep.
As users of the road we should be operating with due care and consideration for other users of the road regardless if they are not doing the same.
I always say to a lot of people instead of being a vigilantly-****, just manage your time better and leave more time to safely get to your destination, because hey delays can happen.
Most people don't agree with me on that one for some reason, I figure they don't admit but they get a kick out of doing stunts like that.

I could be one of them that blows lights, and I could not be. You have no idea which one, for all you know I could stop at every traffic light 100% of the time.
Bit of backpedaling eh? I read what you wrote which was "So to keep the cyclist from breaking the law, I would pull way over almost to the curb to keep him from passing me" clearly you made your actions with the full intent of dispensing vigilantly justice on that moving-violation committing cyclist. It's very disingenuous to then just say "oh well I was just driving within my right everyone drives like that even the sweet ol' ladies driving kids to school." You showed your true colours that yes even though you broke no laws you hugged the curb with the intent of stopping the biker from proceeding.
What's dangerous is when people think they are police officers and that other people using the road need to taught a lesson or they need to take actions to prevent traffic offenses. Yes people using all kinds of vehicles break the law, cars speed and don't signal and bikes blow stops and ride on the sidewalk. It is not up to you and me to take action against them, that's the job of LEO's. If you have an issue with that talk to your local government rep or community-policing rep.
As users of the road we should be operating with due care and consideration for other users of the road regardless if they are not doing the same.
I always say to a lot of people instead of being a vigilantly-****, just manage your time better and leave more time to safely get to your destination, because hey delays can happen.
Most people don't agree with me on that one for some reason, I figure they don't admit but they get a kick out of doing stunts like that.

You seem to think that as a driver, I'm the one, who is the problem, yet you gloss over the illegal actions of the cyclist. You also seem to think that you can get a cop anytime, you want, Not in the US. I don't know where you are from, but the police would not see an issue, here, nor would they respond.

Scenario: Two robbers in homeowners garage.

Homeowner- "Hello this is Mr. Smith there are two guys in my garage stealing my stuff".
Police- "Have they attempted to break into your house"?
Homeowner- "No just the garage".
Police- " So you are in no present danger"?
Homeowner- " I guess not".
Police- " I don't have a car available right now so it will be half an hour".
One minute later:
Homeowner- " Never mind I went out and shot and killed them".
Two minutes later:
Police show up and arrest robbers- " I thought you said you shot them".
Homeowner- " Yeah and I thought you said you didn't have a car available".

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Scenario: Two robbers in homeowners garage.

Homeowner- "Hello this is Mr. Smith there are two guys in my garage stealing my stuff".
Police- "Have they attempted to break into your house"?
Homeowner- "No just the garage".
Police- " So you are in no present danger"?
Homeowner- " I guess not".
Police- " I don't have a car available right now so it will be half an hour".
One minute later:
Homeowner- " Never mind I went out and shot and killed them".
Two minutes later:
Police show up and arrest robbers- " I thought you said you shot them".
Homeowner- " Yeah and I thought you said you didn't have a car available".

That might work, sometimes, but I caught poachers on my land. I fired 3 shots over their heads. My neighbor called the police saying shots were being fired and angry words being spoken. The police arrived 2 hours later after the poachers had left. It was then that they informed me that they didn't go in the woods. That was the game warden's job. Yet, you couldn't get a game warden because they are stretched thin over the state of Virginia. I was later to find out that if I wanted a game warden to call this particular sergeant and tell him I had found a large cache of Indian arrow heads on the property. He would come a running because he collected them. I never did because I never found any. I figure he had already been through.

You seem to think that as a driver, I'm the one, who is the problem, yet you gloss over the illegal actions of the cyclist. You also seem to think that you can get a cop anytime, you want, Not in the US. I don't know where you are from, but the police would not see an issue, here, nor would they respond.

If you have an issue with enforcement, call your elected representative.
It's not your responsibility to enforce traffic laws. No one has given you that power or that authority.
You are just trying to justify being an **** on the road, we have enough of them we don't need anymore.
I see it all the time on the road, people making moves to teach others a lesson. It never helps anything it just gets people upset. Just drive to your destination and mind your own business.
Have you read your responsibilities as a driver? I will bet dollars to donuts no where does it say "do what you can do to stop people from breaking traffic laws" but I bet it does say somewhere that you have to drive with "due care" and "consideration for other users." If I am wrong and your local traffic laws say different, please show me I would love to see that it would be an interesting read.
Driving is not a right, it's a privilege. Part of that privilege is you abide by traffic laws, regardless if you observe others doing so.
We are not talking about criminal offenses or protecting your home, which is completely different. If your local law enforcement isn't taking that stuff seriously I would be very vocal about it and would have no qualms using force to protect my self and my family.

If you have an issue with enforcement, call your elected representative.
It's not your responsibility to enforce traffic laws. No one has given you that power or that authority.
You are just trying to justify being an **** on the road, we have enough of them we don't need anymore.
I see it all the time on the road, people making moves to teach others a lesson. It never helps anything it just gets people upset. Just drive to your destination and mind your own business.
Have you read your responsibilities as a driver? I will bet dollars to donuts no where does it say "do what you can do to stop people from breaking traffic laws" but I bet it does say somewhere that you have to drive with "due care" and "consideration for other users." If I am wrong and your local traffic laws say different, please show me I would love to see that it would be an interesting read.
Driving is not a right, it's a privilege. Part of that privilege is you abide by traffic laws, regardless if you observe others doing so.
We are not talking about criminal offenses or protecting your home, which is completely different. If your local law enforcement isn't taking that stuff seriously I would be very vocal about it and would have no qualms using force to protect my self and my family.

There is no use in trying to convince you of anything because you have to have the last word in everything you do. Let me guess, you must be a supervisor because in your eyes, you are always right and everybody else is always wrong.

There is no use in trying to convince you of anything because you have to have the last word in everything you do. Let me guess, you must be a supervisor because in your eyes, you are always right and everybody else is always wrong.

You seem to know a lot about me somehow... and it's all wrong. No I am not a supervisor, just a lowly office drone.
I am actually easily convinced of things, I enjoy being wrong when people present me with compelling arguments. That's all part and parcel of being a reasonable human being who believes in never stopping learning and exploring idea's.
Campybob has presented me with a few interesting tidbits I never thought of that changed my perspective on a few issues.
You are going to have a VERY tough time getting me to believe you have the self-imposed authority to enforce traffic laws however.

You seem to know a lot about me somehow... and it's all wrong. No I am not a supervisor, just a lowly office drone.
I am actually easily convinced of things, I enjoy being wrong when people present me with compelling arguments. That's all part and parcel of being a reasonable human being who believes in never stopping learning and exploring idea's.
Campybob has presented me with a few interesting tidbits I never thought of that changed my perspective on a few issues.
You are going to have a VERY tough time getting me to believe you have the self-imposed authority to enforce traffic laws however.

See there's where your problem lies. You have come on here to pick a fight, and nobody is ever going to convince you otherwise. You will refuse to believe what I wrote and stay on the same topic. I explained to you everything that is within the law, but you still stay on the same topic because you don't think it's right. There are a lot of things I don't think are right, but they are the law.