Cyclist are wussies and motorcyclist are manly men

See there's where your problem lies. You have come on here to pick a fight, and nobody is ever going to convince you otherwise. You will refuse to believe what I wrote and stay on the same topic. I explained to you everything that is within the law, but you still stay on the same topic because you don't think it's right. There are a lot of things I don't think are right, but they are the law.

I don't see it as a problem. I like seeing what people have to say when I poke at them. A lot of the time I learn something new. I have noticed a huge trend in the past ten years that people are getting more and more sensitive about it lately. It is more than likely something I developed working in kitchens and construction sites in my earlier years where the guys were the best ball busters I ever met. They would take jabs at you to see if you could take it, sometimes really personal stuff and you could not display any signs that it bother you. You just had to dish it right back. Now that I am an office drone you CANNOT get away with it, oh man HR would have a field day. I miss it dearly though, probably why I bust my friends chops and pick fights on the net about different topics.
I used to do the same thing to people, ESPECIALLY people that try to pass me on the right when the lane ends soon and they could have easily passed left since that lane was wide open. Shut them down every time.
I was talking about it with a buddy at a coffee shop once, this cop overheard me came over and raked me over the coals. Man was this officer ******, he said if he saw me do actions like that he would slap me with a careless driving charge. Must have spent ten mins going over how traffic enforcement was his job that he's specially trained to do and that I was just a giant **** who will get a ticket sooner or later for it. We went on at lengths that my only job was to drive within the law and leave people alone. I tried to object that I could save a life by stopping people and by hoping to teach them a lesson and he gave me a savage grilling about that too. I swear the whole shop was silent and was just listening to him verbally put me in my place. I slunk out of there pretty embarrassed. It made an impact on me.
So I really get what you are saying Bikeman, I was just trying to put an effort to channel the other side of the debate.
Honestly do what you want on the roads, you seem like a reasonable human being so I am sure you probably don't do anything that could hurt people, hugging the right so a cycle doesn't go flying into traffic isn't particularly bad or unreasonable.
I 100% understand what you are on about. You committed no traffic violations, stayed within the law AND prevented someone else from braking the law. There is this little voice in the back of my mind that's like "YEA man, I wish everyone drove like that imagine how fast people on the roads would smarten up" but then I remember that day @ Hortons.
You already took one side of the debate, so forgive me if you found my unwavering devotion to the otherside bothersome. I was just seeing what you would come back with. You arguments were spot on, except the few parts were you made assumptions about myself that were way off, but that's standard fare for conversations on the internet in general really.

Reactions: Bicycleman
I don't see it as a problem. I like seeing what people have to say when I poke at them. A lot of the time I learn something new. I have noticed a huge trend in the past ten years that people are getting more and more sensitive about it lately. It is more than likely something I developed working in kitchens and construction sites in my earlier years where the guys were the best ball busters I ever met. They would take jabs at you to see if you could take it, sometimes really personal stuff and you could not display any signs that it bother you. You just had to dish it right back. Now that I am an office drone you CANNOT get away with it, oh man HR would have a field day. I miss it dearly though, probably why I bust my friends chops and pick fights on the net about different topics.
I used to do the same thing to people, ESPECIALLY people that try to pass me on the right when the lane ends soon and they could have easily passed left since that lane was wide open. Shut them down every time.
I was talking about it with a buddy at a coffee shop once, this cop overheard me came over and raked me over the coals. Man was this officer ******, he said if he saw me do actions like that he would slap me with a careless driving charge. Must have spent ten mins going over how traffic enforcement was his job that he's specially trained to do and that I was just a giant **** who will get a ticket sooner or later for it. We went on at lengths that my only job was to drive within the law and leave people alone. I tried to object that I could save a life by stopping people and by hoping to teach them a lesson and he gave me a savage grilling about that too. I swear the whole shop was silent and was just listening to him verbally put me in my place. I slunk out of there pretty embarrassed. It made an impact on me.
So I really get what you are saying Bikeman, I was just trying to put an effort to channel the other side of the debate.
Honestly do what you want on the roads, you seem like a reasonable human being so I am sure you probably don't do anything that could hurt people, hugging the right so a cycle doesn't go flying into traffic isn't particularly bad or unreasonable.
I 100% understand what you are on about. You committed no traffic violations, stayed within the law AND prevented someone else from braking the law. There is this little voice in the back of my mind that's like "YEA man, I wish everyone drove like that imagine how fast people on the roads would smarten up" but then I remember that day @ Hortons.
You already took one side of the debate, so forgive me if you found my unwavering devotion to the otherside bothersome. I was just seeing what you would come back with. You arguments were spot on, except the few parts were you made assumptions about myself that were way off, but that's standard fare for conversations on the internet in general really.

I make assumptions, either right or wrong as a probe to see what type of mentality I'm dealing with. You seem to be okay. That's why I was surprised at why you kept on the same topic. So let's get off this one on one and join forces as fellow cyclists out there.

I just came from a site that has some very sensitive members. You can't joke with them, and I put up several smiley faces. It didn't matter one bit. The moderators came after me. No, I didn't get banned but was warned about how touchy feely that site was. It was a bicycle site. Come on folks.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
I make assumptions, either right or wrong as a probe to see what type of mentality I'm dealing with. You seem to be okay. That's why I was surprised at why you kept on the same topic. So let's get off this one on one and join forces as fellow cyclists out there.

I just came from a site that has some very sensitive members. You can't joke with them, and I put up several smiley faces. It didn't matter one bit. The moderators came after me. No, I didn't get banned but was warned about how touchy feely that site was. It was a bicycle site. Come on folks.

My seeming okay is only an illusion! haha
I find in general the cycle community does a good job of sticking together. I have love for anyone on two wheels no matter the wheels or the person, with a few minor exceptions... Some make a bad name for us.
I found pretty much every member here is pretty good though.

The power of perception, nothing more. Maybe it is because there are more motorcycle gangs than bicycle gangs.

The power of perception, nothing more. Maybe it is because there are more motorcycle gangs than bicycle gangs.

It is because bicycle gangs are rurhless. Very few people ever confront one and live to tell about it and those few generally remain silent in fear.:)

It is because bicycle gangs are rurhless. Very few people ever confront one and live to tell about it and those few generally remain silent in fear.:)

Exactly. Mess with them and you might have to take a swim with a vintage steel frame strapped to your feet.

When I read the title of this post, I got the impression that someone was trolling.

No, riding a bicycle or motorbike doesn't make one manly. Looking after your family, taking care of business and standing up for yourself makes you manly.

When I read the title of this post, I got the impression that someone was trolling.

No, riding a bicycle or motorbike doesn't make one manly. Looking after your family, taking care of business and standing up for yourself makes you manly.

I raced motorcycles and was a pro mechanic and the safety director of a couple of different organizations. Quite to the contrary I never saw anything manly in not knowing what you're doing as most motorcyclists are.

While I don't have problems while on my Colnago from motorcyclists we all know this is because they fear for their own lives and not mine.

And as Damien states - being a man is acting like a man, not pretending to be a man.

I think it's just something that has been pounded into our heads since we were born. The fact that motor motorbikes make a huge racket while bikes don't also has something to do with it.

I think it's just something that has been pounded into our heads since we were born. The fact that motor motorbikes make a huge racket while bikes don't also has something to do with it.

Pounded into our heads by who? I hope you are exaggerating because that was never the case for me growing up. People like to blame social environment for opinions that are off base. There is some truth to this, but the responsibility for holding ignorant views like this falls on the person choosing to believe them even if they were surrounded by others that believe the same misguided ****. I don't let people off the hook. We all have the ability to think and decide for ourselves. In the end it isn't the fault of anybody else collectively or otherwise for what we choose to believe. It is ours.

People, even though I agree that they need to make their own minds up, do get easily led. If you are brought up from an early age to think that motorcycles are dangerous, then you'll automatically carry on thinking that until your proved otherwise.

People, even though I agree that they need to make their own minds up, do get easily led. If you are brought up from an early age to think that motorcycles are dangerous, then you'll automatically carry on thinking that until your proved otherwise.

I completely agree with you. People driving cars there is also a common thought that all cyclist are a danger in traffic and should be removed immediately whilst bikers are thinking that motor vehicle drivers are lazy people who are not willing to ride a bike and won't therefore respect them.

Reactions: Jcycle and pwarbi
Reminds me of the time where a guy on a moped came up to me on my road race bike asking for a race. Blew right past him as the fastest his moped would do was only like 15 mph. LOL

Reactions: pwarbi
I completely agree with you. People driving cars there is also a common thought that all cyclist are a danger in traffic and should be removed immediately whilst bikers are thinking that motor vehicle drivers are lazy people who are not willing to ride a bike and won't therefore respect them.

Cyclists (and motorcyclists) have got a bad reputation with car drivers like you say, but there's no valid reason as far as I'm concerned. I can drive a car, ride a motorcycle and I use a push bike, so I'm not biased and in my opinion the car drivers can be the worst of the lot!

People just need to share the road. Cyclists, motorists, and motorcycle riders. No one group is better than the other and the judgement doesn't help anyone.

Motorcycles go vroom vroom and stuff. I do have to concede that bikes are more "sexier." I'd guess it's also that whole biker gang thing as well. I mean who are you more intimated by? A motorcycle gang or a bunch of dudes in tights riding bicycles.

Motorcycles go vroom vroom and stuff. I do have to concede that bikes are more "sexier." I'd guess it's also that whole biker gang thing as well. I mean who are you more intimated by? A motorcycle gang or a bunch of dudes in tights riding bicycles.
I find your attitude on the matter to be amusing and frustrating at the same time. What is "sexy" doesn't really have anything to do with it and is completely subjective. Thugs and criminals can be imposing with or without motorcycles. It isn't the motorcycles that make these guys impressive or feared. It is their behavior.

That said, there are bike clubs for motorcycle riders that are not criminal in nature at all. These guys are not tougher or weaker than cyclists just because they ride motorcycles anymore than the thugs are.

I find your attitude on the matter to be amusing and frustrating at the same time. What is "sexy" doesn't really have anything to do with it and is completely subjective. Thugs and criminals can be imposing with or without motorcycles. It isn't the motorcycles that make these guys impressive or feared. It is their behavior.

That said, there are bike clubs for motorcycle riders that are not criminal in nature at all. These guys are not tougher or weaker than cyclists just because they ride motorcycles anymore than the thugs are.
I'm speaking on perception mostly. It is the general perception that big gnarly dudes on motorcycles appear to be tougher. Of course that is not always true. Whether these biker gangs are criminal in nature or not, they still appear more gnarly than cyclists.

Reactions: Jcycle
Well is mostly because the media tropes and society perception you know the black leather jacket outfit, spiked helmet, thick mustache, sunglasses and a Harley Davidson ride. Also associated with 80's hard rock. I don't have any issue against motorbikers tho.