Cyclist arrested for taking the lane

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Anonymous, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is one reason I now only
    ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a motorist being chaged with attempted homicide
    for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?

    http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html
     
    Tags:


  2. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    AT&T Worldnet wrote:

    >I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is one reason I now only
    >ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a motorist being chaged with attempted homicide
    >for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?
    >
    >
    >http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

    Instead of shooting the driver, he should have shot all four tires out of the truck then set it on
    fire and danced naked around the burning carcass invoking pagan deities against all cars everywhere.

    --
    [email protected]
    Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element.
    78
     
  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I ANAL I am not a lawyer.

    I am an armed bicyclist and have CCW for more than four years (just renewed my permit).

    Line by line....

    "...charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault and weapons offenses." He certainly did
    these things. Note that the assault was the 'wave' and the weapons offenses are likely the manner
    that he carried. There is no indication that they are status violations, i.e., that he is a felon
    disbarred of his 2A Rights.

    "...when he drove past him in his pickup truck Saturday, he made an obscene gesture." Possibly true
    but improvable without witnesses. If you 'wave' while armed or unarmed then make it a full five
    fingered wave. Let 'em read between the lines if they're literate. If they are not literate then
    they are dumb enough to 'turn around'. The first element of common law self-defense is 'be innocent
    of instigation'.

    "...turned around and drove toward,..." this is an assault. A reasonable man felt threatened and in
    imminent danger of great bodily harm from an instrumentality with means and motive.

    "...pulled out a pistol and threatened to shoot,..." Mistake. Keep the pistol concealed until you
    MUST shoot and then shoot without hesitation. To do otherwise leads to this current situation or at
    least charges of 'brandishing'.

    "reached into the truck and shot [him] once in the arm" The key statement of the article. If the
    driver stopped then he was not innocent and did not attempt to retreat or even to secure himself by
    locking and rolling up the windows. The driver did not feel threatened and had little 'respect' for
    the cyclist. The case will hang on the factual basis for this statement by the reporter.

    "...rode away on his bike." Fleeing or retreating from further combat?

    "...rammed Urick off his bike and they fought briefly until Urick fled again." The driver should
    face charges.

    "...told him to get off the road." I regard this as an assault in my personal life and immediately
    evaluate my self-defense status.

    An automobile is a deadly weapon. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

    news:6c_Vb.8276$fV5[email protected]...
    | I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That
    is
    | one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of
    a
    | motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?
    |
    |
    | http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html
    |
    |
    |
     
  4. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    > I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is one reason I now only
    > ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a motorist being chaged with attempted homicide
    > for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?
    >
    > http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

    Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the newspaper article? The guy was
    arrested for shooting the driver.

    Dick Durbin
     
  5. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

    =v= I ain't taking sides one way or another, but I will point out that the article's lead-in isn't
    particularly fair:

    | ... a confrontation that began when the man pedaling the bike made an obscene gesture,
    | police said.

    It's unfair because the bicyclist's version of events is that the confrontation began before that:
    when the motorist told him to get off the road.

    =v= Also unclear is whose deadly weapon was wielded first:

    > Nicoletti said he turned around and drove toward Urick ...

    =v= Also, another story differs in some details:

    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04040/270970.stm

    <_Jym_
     
  6. In article <[email protected]>,

    >I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is one reason I now only
    >ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a motorist being chaged with attempted homicide
    >for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up? http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

    He wasn't arrested for taking the lane, he was arrested for shooting someone else. The article does
    not have enough information to really tell what happened.
    ------------
    Alex
     
  7. Bill Z.

    Bill Z. Guest

    Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> writes:

    > In article <[email protected]>,

    > >I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is one reason I now only
    > >ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a motorist being chaged with attempted
    > >homicide for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?
    > >http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html
    >
    > He wasn't arrested for taking the lane, he was arrested for shooting someone else. The article
    > does not have enough information to really tell what happened.

    Oh, I can make a guess what happened, based on personal experience with aggressive drivers. I once
    filed a criminal complaint against a driver who made multiple attempts to run me off the road or
    worse, and our f___wit district attorney refused to prosecute and lied to me repeatedly when I
    merely tried to find out the status of the case. They didn't even have the decency to answer a
    simple yes/no question about whether they would prosecute him or not.

    Bill

    --
    My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
     
  8. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Dick Durbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did.
    That is
    > > one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard
    of a
    > > motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?
    > >
    > > http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html
    >
    > Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the newspaper article? The guy
    > was arrested for shooting the driver.
    >
    > Dick Durbin

    Here's how. The driver of the vehicle crowded the cyclist, and when the cyclist responded with a
    gesture of disapproval, the driver, instead of just driving off turned around and threatened the
    cyclist who was forced to defend himself. The driver then, once again, tried to run the cyclist down
    with his vehicle. The whole problem, from the hillbilly's point of view, is that this cyclist was on
    HIS road taking up HIS LANE!

    DO YOU RIDE? Do you have any idea how many dumbshit hillbillies in pickup trucks have no regard for
    the rules of the road and intentionally try to harm cyclists? (I do because it has happened to me.)
     
  9. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    > > Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the newspaper article? The guy
    > > was arrested for shooting the driver.

    > Here's how. The driver of the vehicle crowded the cyclist, and when the cyclist responded with a
    > gesture of disapproval, the driver, instead of just driving off turned around and threatened the
    > cyclist who was forced to defend himself. The driver then, once again, tried to run the cyclist
    > down with his vehicle. The whole problem, from the hillbilly's point of view, is that this cyclist
    > was on HIS road taking up HIS LANE!
    >
    > DO YOU RIDE? Do you have any idea how many dumbshit hillbillies in pickup trucks have no regard
    > for the rules of the road and intentionally try to harm cyclists? (I do because it has happened
    > to me.)

    You ignored my question. The cyclist was arrested for shooting the truck driver, not for taking the
    lane. Whether he was justified in shooting the driver will be up to the courts to decide.

    Yes, I ride. I have a lot less trouble with guys in pickumup trucks than I do with self-important
    Stepford wives in SUVs or gangsta wannabees in Honda Civics.

    Dick Durbin
     
  10. In article <[email protected]>,

    >"Dick Durbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...

    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> > I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did.
    >That is
    >> > one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard
    >of a
    >> > motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?
    >> >
    >> > http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html
    >>
    >> Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the newspaper article? The guy
    >> was arrested for shooting the driver.
    >>
    >> Dick Durbin
    >
    >Here's how. The driver of the vehicle crowded the cyclist,

    I must have missed that part of the article.

    >and when the cyclist responded with a gesture of disapproval, the driver, instead of just driving
    >off turned around and threatened the cyclist who was forced to defend himself. The driver then,
    >once again, tried to run the cyclist down with his vehicle. The whole problem, from the hillbilly's
    >point of view, is that this cyclist was on HIS road taking up HIS LANE!

    I also missed the part in the article that said the cyclist was in a lane of traffic. For all we
    know, he could have been riding on the shoulder the whole time. No way to tell from the article.

    -------------
    Alex
     
  11. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That
    is
    > one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of
    a
    > motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist with a 2-ton pick-up?
    >
    >
    > http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

    Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin pistol??? That's CRAZY!

    DAve
     
  12. Mitch Haley

    Mitch Haley Guest

    onefred wrote:
    > Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin pistol???
    > That's CRAZY!

    What's crazy about it? Bike cops do it every day, are they "CRAZY"?
     
  13. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:15:27 -0500, Mitch Haley <[email protected]> from Posted
    via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com wrote:

    >onefred wrote:
    >> Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin pistol???
    >> That's CRAZY!
    >
    >What's crazy about it? Bike cops do it every day, are they "CRAZY"?

    Yes.
    --
    [email protected]
    Just carry on.
    82
     
  14. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:34:19 -0600 in rec.bicycles.soc, "onefred"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin pistol???
    > That's CRAZY!
    >
    why would you say that? in many parts of the country, it's perfectly legal. in some parts of some
    cities, it's probably smart to do so.
     
  15. Bill Z.

    Bill Z. Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) writes:

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:34:19 -0600 in rec.bicycles.soc, "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin pistol??? That's
    > > CRAZY!
    > >
    > why would you say that? in many parts of the country, it's perfectly legal. in some parts of some
    > cities, it's probably smart to do so.

    I once read about a guy who said he carried a gun while riding on rural roads in the Central Valley.
    It seems drunks in pickup trucks liked to harass cyclists on rural roads where there would be no
    witnesses around, using a vehicle to intimidate the cyclists. The cyclist is outnumbered and the
    drunks have a dangerous weapon (which is what they are using their pickup truck as.)

    Hopefully if the gun were actually used, it would be to shoot out the tires so the cyclist could get
    away safely without having to shoot the drunks. If you take a gun along, you can't afford to let a
    group of drunks take it from you, and might have to use it to stop them from doing that. You should
    carefully evaluate that possibility before deciding to bring one along - going through some
    contingency planning might very well convince you that carrying a weapon isn't worth it.

    --
    My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
     
  16. Doug Huffman wrote:

    > I ANAL I am not a lawyer.
    >
    > I am an armed bicyclist and have CCW for more than four years (just renewed my permit).

    I've got a CCW too, but quick question... how do you carry while riding? The easiest way to me seems
    like it would be small of the back, but then it seems it would be harder to conceal since you lean
    over the bike.

    Before I start any serious road riding, I'd definitely like to figure this out, since I'll be riding
    back roads in KY.
     
  17. Bill Z. wrote:

    > Hopefully if the gun were actually used, it would be to shoot out the tires so the cyclist could
    > get away safely without having to shoot the drunks.

    Tires are not terribly easy to hit. If a group of people are attacking you, it is considered a
    deadly attack and you have the right to respond in kind (according to KY law, anyway, it likely
    varies in other area).

    If you take a gun along, you can't afford to let a group of
    > drunks take it from you, and might have to use it to stop them from doing that.

    The interesting thing about having a gun is that the barrel is usually aimed toward the people who
    would take it. If you aren't prepared to use it, don't carry it or draw it. Just because you have
    one with you doesn't mean you need to pull it out in every situation, either.

    > You should carefully evaluate that possibility before deciding to bring one along - going
    > through some contingency planning might very well convince you that carrying a weapon isn't
    > worth it.

    I would say that me surviving is "worth it". Contingency planning should include training. No one
    should carry who isn't familiar with the use of a firearm and practiced with using it.
     
  18. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Tommy Cheatham <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Doug Huffman wrote:

    >> I ANAL I am not a lawyer.
    >>
    >> I am an armed bicyclist and have CCW for more than four years (just renewed my permit).

    > I've got a CCW too, but quick question... how do you carry while riding? The easiest way to me
    > seems like it would be small of the back, but then it seems it would be harder to conceal since
    > you lean over the bike.

    > Before I start any serious road riding, I'd definitely like to figure this out, since I'll be
    > riding back roads in KY.

    I would think a frame bag would do, something maybe that looks like this:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6799&storetype=&estoreid=

    http://tinyurl.com/3das6

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g A government that is big enough to give
    you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -- Barry Goldwater
     
  19. > Tommy Cheatham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I've got a CCW too, but quick question... how do you carry while riding? The easiest way to me
    >>seems like it would be small of the back, but then it seems it would be harder to conceal since
    >>you lean over the bike.
    >
    Dane Jackson wrote:
    > I would think a frame bag would do, something maybe that looks like this:
    >
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6799&storetype=&estoreid=

    Yeah, it probably would, but I'd rather actually keep it ON me. If I'm going to assume that
    something bad might hppen, I'm also going to assume that something bad might happen and separate me
    from the bike.
     
Loading...
Loading...