Cyclist at the side of the road but on the wrong lane.

May 7, 2016
So I was under the impression that a cyclist is supposed to follow the flow of the traffic, that is to follow the lane that goes the same way he/she wants to go. I recently encountered a cyclist who went the other way around. I wasn't the driver, but seeing him cycle towards us sort of freaked me out.

If you freaked out upon seeing that cyclist going against the traffic then you don't have the stomach to be in Metro Manila. Bikers here usually do that but not the cyclist. The difference between a cyclist and a biker is that the cyclist knows the rules and regulations plus the safety required in riding while the biker is one who rides a bike. That scenario of going against the traffic is not common here but not rare either.

This happened earlier this year right in our town. There was this motorcycle going against the traffic. When the traffic aide accosted the driver, it turned out that he is a cop.

Really? I would freak out if I see at least once in my lifetime the local traffic going in an orderly manner that you describe: following the flow . I get used to watch everybody and his uncle do as they please. I'm not like that though.

Ridding your bike in the wrong lane is against the law. Do not ride your bike in the wrong lane. The police might let it slide a couple times. But one day they will catch you and give you a ticket. Drive in the direction that the cars are moving.

Ridding your bike in the wrong lane is against the law. Do not ride your bike in the wrong lane. The police might let it slide a couple times. But one day they will catch you and give you a ticket. Drive in the direction that the cars are moving.
I agree with you. You should really not drive in wrong directions.

This is unfortunately a common occurrence down here in South Africa. Cyclists, pedestrians and motorists all disregard road rules and that's why we have such shockingly high accident rates. I've encountered way too many cyclists, and yes, even motorists who decided to ride on the wrong side of the road, which forced me too swerve out of the way.

That is one of the most common mistakes a cyclist does. I have seen several riders riding on the wrong lane. They do it because they don't live in the present moment and they don't give full focus to the ride. So, you should always be 'present-minded' when you ride a bike.

That is one of the most common mistakes a cyclist does. I have seen several riders riding on the wrong lane. They do it because they don't live in the present moment and they don't give full focus to the ride. So, you should always be 'present-minded' when you ride a bike.
I think it is the fault of the government. They should build the lanes properly. I have seen many roads with confusing lanes and I think that is the main reason why they get on the wrong lanes. I think the government should make wide and well-constructed lanes.