Cyclist Attacked!!!

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by RalleighOke, Mar 4, 2003.

1. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

Isn't this a tragedy. All we want to do is to get on a bike and enjoy...as if we do not have enough to worry about on the road, like dangerous.....dear I say it....drivers.....:mad:

Tags:

2. ouzo

ouzo New Member

damn, I was on that road on Sunday.

about 10 years back I went to see a homeopath. He is also a cyclist and he told me that he had been riding with a mate along that route when a car dove past and fired a shot at them, hitting his mate in the hip.

That route has always been dangerous.

3. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

It's not safe to ride alone today - we should always try to ride in in bunches.

Glad to hear nothing happened to you ouzo.

I think there is a very popular route close by .... And if I recall correctly the Germiston Century also used that piece of road as a part of their race.

4. Chris_L

Chris_L New Member

Geez, if that started happening around here, I think I'd move!

5. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

I cycled that route this weekend (with a bunch). I would recommend that no-one rides alone there.

This is a very popular cycle route and there are a lot of cyclist riding there, they start from 7h00 on saturdays and sundays.

6. ewep

ewep New Member

This is the only route that I can cycle (without getting in my car of course). After what I saw (and heard from other cyclists), I only use my trainer at the moment. I go out at 03:30 and I don't know of other cyclists that go out at that time.

2 okes have tried to help themselves to my bike on that road, but fortunately I saw them coming and had enough momentum (thanks to the little tractor tube around my waist) to get past them.

7. Frejus

Frejus New Member

The law and order regime has broken down obviously.

Emigrate like many of your collegues, as beautiful SA is, is it worth you loosing your life or being robbed.

Some of the horror stories we have heard here in NZ from former SA citizens are un believable.

8. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

As bad as it sounds, I could not foresee that I would leave this country soon. My heart will not be able to bear it. My father-in-law has a beautiful farm in the northern parts. I tell you, once you have seen and experienced the beauty that SA has to give, you will find it hard to leave behind.

We also have braaivleis, biltong and Casle (i.e. barbeque, dry meat and "excellent" beer).:p

9. Frejus

Frejus New Member

Totally understand your sentiments....we have Biltong here as well!!! all the SA'S here have set up the demand.

And mate we have awesome barbies! and the beer is pretty good as well.:rolleyes:

10. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Besides the barbies we have the BABES as well, and in some parts of the country we have summer all year round. Before I moved to Pretoria I used to stay in Durban, (yep Sharks Country) and the last year I was down there I think winter was on a Thursday. :D :D

11. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

I also thought so Lazy Legs...that was untill I saw the F1 Thread:eek:

12. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Saw them! MMMMHH :p But I'm sure they were "special imports" for the weekend only. :D Let Duckwah give us their addresses to prove me wrong. ;)

13. gregg

gregg New Member

I thought NZ was a low key place?
    Sounds like the kiwi's need to watch less US tv

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

And I thought that the southern California was a dangerous place - having crossed paths with the Manson family. Crazy South Africans! ;)

15. expat

expat New Member

I left SA , :( because of stuff like that and no work. I been through it all, car hijacking, close friends murderd, I love SA, But I moved to Taiwan where I feel safe work hard earn, good money, and where I live there are mountians every where:D and now I can afford a good bike. SA is great I would move back in a flash if I thought I had a chance of a good life there.

16. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

expat, I hear what you're saying but like people every country has some skeletons in the closet. I was seriously considering leaving SA at one stage and decided to stay 'cause every country has its problems. People causes "problems" and everywhere we go there are people. You know the saying; "You can run, but you can't hide."
    I enjoy it in SA and something drastic will have to happen before I’ll consider leaving. It’s a beautiful country with “mostly” good, friendly people. Risks will always be around any corner and is not restricted by borders!

17. wildcard

wildcard New Member

Hi there fellow bikers.

If I had to commute along R550 Grasmere road, I would think about arming myself. At the end of the day it's either you or them - they'll think nothing about killing easy targets.

18. CycleSteve

CycleSteve New Member

Think I'll take a kid with a 9mm rather than the "soccor moms" on their cell phones driving mini-vans full of kids here. (Chicago suburb).

19. Black Belt

Black Belt Guest

My God...I take our freedoms for granted way too much! I NEVER ride without a firearm on my person (in hot weather, a knife) as law-abiding citizens here can get a gun license that looks and works like a driver's license. I pity the fool that wants my money and cellphone. He'll be fly food.

20. Sidi

Sidi New Member

Wow. What a nice Farm you have.
    I bet it looks even nicer from six feet under the ground. I am sure you can pick out all the grubs that eat your crops then and make a killing on your land. But then again once you are six feet under and DEAD it wont matter what kind of farm you have!
    I have 50 or so posts on this board and i hear nothing but bad stuff from you SA. I'd move if i were you.