Cyclist Attacked!!!

RalleighOke

Jan 29, 2003
Isn't this a tragedy. All we want to do is to get on a bike and enjoy...as if we do not have enough to worry about on the road, like dangerous.....dear I say it....drivers.....:mad:

Cyclist attacked on training route

Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 15:04

Cyclists have been warned to exercise caution on one of Johannesburg's best-known training routes after an attack on a cyclist at the weekend.
Vic Windsor, who has been training on the “Paper Mill Route” (R550 Grasmere road) for almost 25 years, narrowly escaped with his life after being held at gunpoint on Sunday. “I set out as usual on my route passing the Lido Hotel and turning left on to the R550.

“I was approximately 6km from the turning point when a youngster stepped out from behind a bluegum tree and proceeded to **** a 9mm pistol while standing in the road,” said Windsor. “He demanded that I get off my bike and give him money and my cell phone, while threatening to shoot me all the time.

“He took my cell phone but I had no money on me as I never cycle with money. He then let me get on my bike to ride away. I consider myself very lucky,” he said.

“I don't normally ride alone, but on that morning I was. I think we need to inform cyclists about what’s happening on a very popular cycle route.

“Perhaps we can get some sort of petition going to send to government to make them aware of what is happening to sports people in this area.”

damn, I was on that road on Sunday.

about 10 years back I went to see a homeopath. He is also a cyclist and he told me that he had been riding with a mate along that route when a car dove past and fired a shot at them, hitting his mate in the hip.

That route has always been dangerous.

It's not safe to ride alone today - we should always try to ride in in bunches.

Glad to hear nothing happened to you ouzo.

I think there is a very popular route close by .... And if I recall correctly the Germiston Century also used that piece of road as a part of their race.

Originally posted by Chris_L
Geez, if that started happening around here, I think I'd move!

I cycled that route this weekend (with a bunch). I would recommend that no-one rides alone there.

This is a very popular cycle route and there are a lot of cyclist riding there, they start from 7h00 on saturdays and sundays.

Originally posted by RalleighOke
I cycled that route this weekend (with a bunch). I would recommend that no-one rides alone there.

This is a very popular cycle route and there are a lot of cyclist riding there, they start from 7h00 on saturdays and sundays.

This is the only route that I can cycle (without getting in my car of course). After what I saw (and heard from other cyclists), I only use my trainer at the moment. I go out at 03:30 and I don't know of other cyclists that go out at that time.

2 okes have tried to help themselves to my bike on that road, but fortunately I saw them coming and had enough momentum (thanks to the little tractor tube around my waist) to get past them.

The law and order regime has broken down obviously.

Emigrate like many of your collegues, as beautiful SA is, is it worth you loosing your life or being robbed.

Some of the horror stories we have heard here in NZ from former SA citizens are un believable.

Originally posted by Frejus
The law and order regime has broken down obviously.

Emigrate like many of your collegues, as beautiful SA is, is it worth you loosing your life or being robbed.

Some of the horror stories we have heard here in NZ from former SA citizens are un believable.

As bad as it sounds, I could not foresee that I would leave this country soon. My heart will not be able to bear it. My father-in-law has a beautiful farm in the northern parts. I tell you, once you have seen and experienced the beauty that SA has to give, you will find it hard to leave behind.

We also have braaivleis, biltong and Casle (i.e. barbeque, dry meat and "excellent" beer).:p

Totally understand your sentiments....we have Biltong here as well!!! all the SA'S here have set up the demand.

And mate we have awesome barbies! and the beer is pretty good as well.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Frejus
And mate we have awesome barbies! and the beer is pretty good as well.:rolleyes:

Besides the barbies we have the BABES as well, and in some parts of the country we have summer all year round. Before I moved to Pretoria I used to stay in Durban, (yep Sharks Country) and the last year I was down there I think winter was on a Thursday. :D :D

I also thought so Lazy Legs...that was untill I saw the F1 Thread:eek:

Saw them! MMMMHH :p But I'm sure they were "special imports" for the weekend only. :D Let Duckwah give us their addresses to prove me wrong. ;)

I thought NZ was a low key place?
Sounds like the kiwi's need to watch less US tv

And I thought that the southern California was a dangerous place - having crossed paths with the Manson family. Crazy South Africans! ;)

I left SA , :( because of stuff like that and no work. I been through it all, car hijacking, close friends murderd, I love SA, But I moved to Taiwan where I feel safe work hard earn, good money, and where I live there are mountians every where:D and now I can afford a good bike. SA is great I would move back in a flash if I thought I had a chance of a good life there.

Originally posted by expat
I left SA , :( because of stuff like that and no work. I been through it all, car hijacking, close friends murderd, I love SA, But I moved to Taiwan where I feel safe work hard earn, good money, and where I live there are mountians every where:D and now I can afford a good bike. SA is great I would move back in a flash if I thought I had a chance of a good life there.

expat, I hear what you're saying but like people every country has some skeletons in the closet. I was seriously considering leaving SA at one stage and decided to stay 'cause every country has its problems. People causes "problems" and everywhere we go there are people. You know the saying; "You can run, but you can't hide."
I enjoy it in SA and something drastic will have to happen before I’ll consider leaving. It’s a beautiful country with “mostly” good, friendly people. Risks will always be around any corner and is not restricted by borders!

Hi there fellow bikers.

If I had to commute along R550 Grasmere road, I would think about arming myself. At the end of the day it's either you or them - they'll think nothing about killing easy targets.

Think I'll take a kid with a 9mm rather than the "soccor moms" on their cell phones driving mini-vans full of kids here. (Chicago suburb).

My God...I take our freedoms for granted way too much! I NEVER ride without a firearm on my person (in hot weather, a knife) as law-abiding citizens here can get a gun license that looks and works like a driver's license. I pity the fool that wants my money and cellphone. He'll be fly food.

As bad as it sounds, I could not foresee that I would leave this country soon. My heart will not be able to bear it. My father-in-law has a beautiful farm in the northern parts. I tell you, once you have seen and experienced the beauty that SA has to give, you will find it hard to leave behind.

We also have braaivleis, biltong and Casle (i.e. barbeque, dry meat and "excellent" beer).:p

Wow. What a nice Farm you have.
I bet it looks even nicer from six feet under the ground. I am sure you can pick out all the grubs that eat your crops then and make a killing on your land. But then again once you are six feet under and DEAD it wont matter what kind of farm you have!
I have 50 or so posts on this board and i hear nothing but bad stuff from you SA. I'd move if i were you.