Cyclist Chris Jongewaard guilty of running over teammate

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by steve, Aug 25, 2009.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Cyclist Chris Jongewaard of running down teammate | National News | News.com.au

Tags:

2. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

on purpose?

3. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

well steve? i didn't see anything stated that said if it was on purpose? know anything?

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I doubt it.

5. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

well, i'd hope not in any case that it would be on purpose.

6. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Is it common to remove the verbs from headlines down there? :confused:

Interesting that he was found not guilty of "causing serious harm by dangerous driving" but guilty of the alternative charge of "aggravated driving without due care." Sounds so much more polite and civil than "driving while intoxicated" or "vehicular manslaughter" like we have here in the US.

Sad story. Seems pretty obvious from the article that it wasn't done on purpose.

7. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

8. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Cyclist Chris Jongewaard of running down teammate

AAP
    August 26, 2009 10:30am
    • Chris Jongewaard guilty of driving charge
    • He hit training partner Matthew Rex
    • Evidence that Jongewaard was driving drunk
    CHAMPION cyclist Chris Jongewaard has been found guilty of criminal offences for driving a car which struck a professional cyclist, causing serious injuries.
    The four-time national cross country mountain bike champion had pleaded not guilty in the South Australian District Court to aggravated causing serious harm by dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident after causing harm.
    Jongewaard, 30, of Para Hills, lost his place on Australia's team for last year's Beijing Olympics after he was charged over the February 2007 accident.
    District Court Judge Wayne Chivell today found Jongewaard not guilty on the charge of causing serious harm by dangerous driving but guilty on an alternative charge of aggravated driving without due care.
    He also convicted the cyclist on the second count of leaving the scene of an accident.
    Judge Chivell will hear sentencing submissions on September 7.
    Jongewaard's car struck his training partner, Matthew Rex, when the pair and eight others were celebrating Mr Rex's 22nd birthday at a resort at Normanville, south of Adelaide.

Jongewaard told his trial he understated to police his alcohol consumption in hours preceding the accident.
    Prosecutor Paul Rofe said a blood test of Jongewaard about three hours after the accident returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.094 per cent.
    Forensic scientist Robert Lokan told the trial he estimated Jongewaard's blood alcohol content to be 0.13 per cent at the time of the accident.
    Mr Rex was a professional cyclist until the accident, in which he sustained injuries including a broken back, broken hip, fractured leg, punctured lung, severed arteries and internal bleeding.

9. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

hmm, anyone know of a cyclist who came under life threatening injuries to only dominate from the death bed once again? hint, he also suffered a broken neck and has eight tour titles. seven wins btw, in case you didn't know.

i hope the victim in this story is inspired by him as well, so much so that he rides again.

10. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

is there a post of mine missing?

11. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

With full respect to Matty Rex, maybe we could leave the Armstong talk outta this thread?:)

12. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

yes. i meant it in a good way though.

13. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Well, you only have 8 of the 12 posts so far on this thread (before this one), so yeah, a few of yours are probably missing. :rolleyes:

14. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Yeh, fair enough, but you can see where it might lead...

15. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I was positive he had returned to racing, but the article states he hasn't. He was a pretty handy rider.

16. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i was messing with cyber so i played off of the 'i doub it' bit from another thread onto this one. eh, no biggy. last night was fun, all in all.

yeah, i've read that story three times now and it's not getting any easier to take in.

17. leestevens

leestevens New Member

Yeah, I raced with him at the Tour of the Riverland (biggest race in South Aust. after the TDU). Not sure if he finished or not but he is definately back racing.
    I think this is bad for Jongerwaard and what is left for his racing career. I believe if you have a criminal conviction you cannot get into the USA where he is racing at the moment.

18. leestevens

leestevens New Member

I am pretty sure it wasn't on purpose, but Jongerwaard was pissed.

19. keepitfair

keepitfair New Member

wh would you not stop? the guys not right. even if it wasent team mate you would stop.intersting to see how it all pans out
    :confused:

20. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member