Cyclist demographics?

dave wrote:
> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

>>> It was about 8 month to a year ago I tried so I'll look again when I
>>> have a moment.

>> Note that Knoppix boots a 2.4 kernel by default but you can just pick
>> a 2.6 one if you prefer. I think Ubuntu and Kubuntu use 2.6 by
>> default. Chris

> I havnt looked at Ubuntu yet. Every time I try and download it
> fails.. Bugger. Will make a point today.

I've got some CDs through the post free. I can send you one or you can get
your own.

I have to admit I've yet to try it.

--
Ambrose

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> Chris Eilbeck wrote:

>>> Note that Knoppix boots a 2.4 kernel by default but you can just pick
>>> a 2.6 one if you prefer. I think Ubuntu and Kubuntu use 2.6 by
>>> default. Chris

>> I havnt looked at Ubuntu yet. Every time I try and download it
>> fails.. Bugger. Will make a point today.

> I've got some CDs through the post free. I can send you one or you can
> get your own.
>
> I have to admit I've yet to try it.

Got the live cd.. Worked fine as I said in another post.. Got the power
pc version but it didnt boot...on my old clammy
.. If you have that I might grab it :)

Left the install iso for X86 downloading at work

Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:

: Of course installing Windows on a laptop can be just as bad, it's just
: that almost always someone else has already done it.

Very true. I've had to do exactly that and it can be a PITA. But at least
you have the knowledge that the necessary drivers exist *somewhere* even
if you can't actually find them :)

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

> IME you're exceptional. I've known lots of people who've tried Linux
> from 20 year VAX/mainframe veterans to schoolkids who've only used
> gaming consoles before and none have needed more than a few pointers
> to get a working Linux system.

Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take this
opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.

That is all.

My liver is evil, and must be punished.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>

>>IME you're exceptional. I've known lots of people who've tried Linux
>>from 20 year VAX/mainframe veterans to schoolkids who've only used
>>gaming consoles before and none have needed more than a few pointers
>>to get a working Linux system.

> Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take this
> opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.
>
> That is all.

I remember VAXs

They were the ones that looked like washing machined? Right?

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take this
> opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.

I learned Real Computing on VAX/VMS and it had a lot of things going for
it. But a filesystem that didn't fragment to hell and back wasn't one
of them, and a good C compiler wasn't another. And the floating point
left a bit to be desired too... :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

dave wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>>

>>> IME you're exceptional. I've known lots of people who've tried
>>> Linux from 20 year VAX/mainframe veterans to schoolkids who've only
>>> used gaming consoles before and none have needed more than a few
>>> pointers to get a working Linux system.

>> Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take
>> this opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.
>>
>> That is all.
>>

> I remember VAXs
>
> They were the ones that looked like washing machined? Right?

Britain's best selling vacuum cleaner, washes. Is that the catchphrase.

--
Ambrose

dave wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:

>> Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take
>> this opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.
>>
>> That is all.
>>

> I remember VAXs
>
> They were the ones that looked like washing machined? Right?

The first one I played with was a 751, which was the doings out of an
industrial washing machine sized 750 squidged into a 19" rack-mounted cab,
but since then I've driven everything from desktop microVAXen to 8800's,
which are the size of big things:

url:http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell/Digital/timeline/photos/vax8800.jpg

Currently got an AlphaServer ES45, but it is at least running OpenVMS V7.3,
rather than any of these heathen Un*x wossnames.

This Unit is a productive Unit.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:56:26 +0100, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>> Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take this
>> opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.

>I learned Real Computing on VAX/VMS and it had a lot of things going for
>it. But a filesystem that didn't fragment to hell and back wasn't one
>of them, and a good C compiler wasn't another. And the floating point
>left a bit to be desired too... :-(

VAX schmax!

Good old Dec System 10.

If the file system did fragment, just get the ops to do a disc to disc copy!

But no C compiler, of course.

Floating point was OK compared to the integer instruction rate speed. Probably
somewhere about a thousandth of a modern PC, and for a machine that, all told,
took up more space than an average living room.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:22:13 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> No its a LAN Express one whoever they are. But dare I say we are back
> to welding and machining, to make it do things Windoze does without
> hesitation, if you have to buy a PCMCIA card because you operating
> system won't work with the inbuilt 802.11.

Mac Airline

All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket
agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you
ask questions about details, you are told you don't need to know,
don't want to know, and would you please return to your seat and
marvel at the image quality of the in-flight movie.

Windows XPAirline

The airplane is very pretty, and each passenger gets to choose their
own colour and pattern for the paintwork, and their own favourite
engine noise. Unfortunately the plane is so heavy and so slow that it
is unable to get airbourne,and crashes at the end of the runway.
When parked in the hanger, unresolved security bugs in the planes
doors AND windows AND luggage-bay AND engines AND wings AND body
panels allow theives to break in and steal all the seats.

Linux Airline

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start
their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave
the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of
printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket
yourself for free. When you board the plane, you are given a seat,
four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO. Once settled, the
fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and
arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is
wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the
great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the
seat?"

(Actually, I've just had three days of annoyance with an upgrade of a
linux box. Mystery failures to load software. Tearing of hair.
Turned out to be faulty hardware. I also had faulty hardware on teh
last win XP machine I bought. I must learn to not assume I'm doing
something wrong...)

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> writes:

> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>
>> IME you're exceptional. I've known lots of people who've tried
>> Linux from 20 year VAX/mainframe veterans to schoolkids who've only
>> used gaming consoles before and none have needed more than a few
>> pointers to get a working Linux system.

> Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take
> this opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.
>
> That is all.

I've got a Microvax II somewhere that I really should get round to
doing something with. I should do something with all the Sun Ultras
I've got too. Ah well, that's a job for the winter.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

"Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've got a Microvax II somewhere that I really should get round to
> doing something with. I should do something with all the Sun Ultras
> I've got too. Ah well, that's a job for the winter.

Is that on the grounds that they'll do a useful job of heating your house if
nothing else?

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I've got a Microvax II somewhere that I really should get round to
>> doing something with. I should do something with all the Sun Ultras
>> I've got too. Ah well, that's a job for the winter.

> Is that on the grounds that they'll do a useful job of heating your
> house if nothing else?

I just couldn't see something so nice go in the skip and stay there ;)

Chris
--

Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:22:13 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> No its a LAN Express one whoever they are. But dare I say we are back
>> to welding and machining, to make it do things Windoze does without
>> hesitation, if you have to buy a PCMCIA card because you operating
>> system won't work with the inbuilt 802.11.

> Mac Airline
>
> All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket
> agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you
> ask questions about details, you are told you don't need to know,
> don't want to know, and would you please return to your seat and
> marvel at the image quality of the in-flight movie.
>
> Windows XPAirline
>
> The airplane is very pretty, and each passenger gets to choose their
> own colour and pattern for the paintwork, and their own favourite
> engine noise. Unfortunately the plane is so heavy and so slow that it
> is unable to get airbourne,and crashes at the end of the runway.
> When parked in the hanger, unresolved security bugs in the planes
> doors AND windows AND luggage-bay AND engines AND wings AND body
> panels allow theives to break in and steal all the seats.
>
> Linux Airline
>
> Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start
> their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave
> the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of
> printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket
> yourself for free. When you board the plane, you are given a seat,
> four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO. Once settled, the
> fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and
> arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is
> wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the
> great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the
> seat?"
>

> (Actually, I've just had three days of annoyance with an upgrade of a
> linux box. Mystery failures to load software. Tearing of hair.
> Turned out to be faulty hardware. I also had faulty hardware on teh
> last win XP machine I bought. I must learn to not assume I'm doing
> something wrong...)
>
> regards, Ian SMith

Thats EXACTLY right.

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>>

>>>IME you're exceptional. I've known lots of people who've tried
>>>Linux from 20 year VAX/mainframe veterans to schoolkids who've only
>>>used gaming consoles before and none have needed more than a few
>>>pointers to get a working Linux system.

>>Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take
>>this opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.
>>
>>That is all.

> I've got a Microvax II somewhere that I really should get round to
> doing something with. I should do something with all the Sun Ultras
> I've got too. Ah well, that's a job for the winter.
>
> Chris

Keep one to give to a museum.. For the rest.. re cycle (attempt at
being on topic :)

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

> I've got a Microvax II somewhere that I really should get round to
> doing something with. I should do something with all the Sun Ultras
> I've got too. Ah well, that's a job for the winter.

cycling content: at university they were very popular for drying shoes
and clothing after a wet commute !

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Also sprach Peter Clinch <[email protected]>:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>> Speaking as a 20 year VAX/VMS veteran, I should just like to take
>> this opportunity to state that Unix is a Work of Stan.

> I learned Real Computing on VAX/VMS and it had a lot of things going
> for it. But a filesystem that didn't fragment to hell and back
> wasn't one of them, and a good C compiler wasn't another. And the
> floating point left a bit to be desired too... :-(

C compiler? Tch! /Real/ programmers use FORTRAN...

Pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, chives!

Dave Larrington wrote:

> C compiler? Tch! /Real/ programmers use FORTRAN...

I remember it well ;-)

My mobile phone now has much more computing power than the early
supercomputers I learnt my programming on.

The Cray I had a 75MHz clock rate 64 bit architecture and its only its
vector processing that allows it to still hold its head up over a mobile
phone.

--
Tony

Anon

Response to Tony Raven:
> > C compiler? Tch! /Real/ programmers use FORTRAN...
> >

> I remember it well ;-)

I had to learn the basics of FORTRAN; I now remember *nothing* about it!

> My mobile phone now has much more computing power than the early
> supercomputers I learnt my programming on.

My father and I bought an Osborne 1, when they came out -

http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html

- and not long afterwards I met an old school friend, who was working In
Computers; he said the immortal line "64k of RAM???? What do you
want that for? They went to the *moon* with less than 64k of RAM!"

The Osborne coped perfectly with everything we threw at it (a busy
management consultancy) for ten years or so, until we retired it in
favour of Windows 3.1 - that was where the troubles began. ;-)

--
Mark, UK

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity."