Cyclist dies after collision with tip truck

Sad story but the comments that readers left are frightening. One was saying that cyclists should use foot paths and two wanted to completely ban cyclists from busy roads altogether. Doesn't sound like that part of Oz is very bike friendly.

Reactions: steve
Terrible to hear about this, another young rider is gone. I witnessed a similar accident a few kilometers from my house a couple of months ago. Fortunately, the cyclist wasn't killed but he was in very bad shape when the ambulance arrive. I later heard that he was rushed into intensive care but that he would make it. Trucks, vans and pick up trucks can prove to be absolutely fatal for cyclists if they collide into them.

kdelong said:
Sad story but the comments that readers left are frightening. One was saying that cyclists should use foot paths and two wanted to completely ban cyclists from busy roads altogether. Doesn't sound like that part of Oz is very bike friendly.
That's also the suggestion here for 2-wheels but mostly motorcycles because of the accidents on the road that number more than a hundred every day. And in fairness to cyclists, the statistics on them is not much maybe because they are not as daring as the motorbikers who would sometimes cut a vehicle's path - it happened to me several times when I was driving my small car and friends are kidding me that I am a slow driver. Collision accidents are not rare here because of the reckless drivers on the road.

Damien Lee said:
Terrible to hear about this, another young rider is gone. I witnessed a similar accident a few kilometers from my house a couple of months ago. Fortunately, the cyclist wasn't killed but he was in very bad shape when the ambulance arrive. I later heard that he was rushed into intensive care but that he would make it. Trucks, vans and pick up trucks can prove to be absolutely fatal for cyclists if they collide into them.
While his death was undoubtedly a tragic event, but you're "hearing" about this five over five years after it happened, and I can't fathom that you didn't notice how old this post was. :p Bicycling accidents happen all the time, and sometimes people die during these incidents, which is a shame. What's really disturbing is how non-cyclists tend to respond, at least online, to such events.

That was unavoidable because most drivers are rude and assume they can't see any cyclist on the road. But even so, we need to be keen and avoid such incidences. That is why we are supposed to be wearing reflective jackets always. Am really sorry for the young rider.

This is very sad and painful information. My condolences to his family and friends. Even though it happened like 5 years ago. Guys, be careful and attentive. Avoid being involved in risky situations.

This is really sad indeed. Thing is such kind of accidents are happening every day all over the world. Cycling, driving or even walking nowadays can be dangerous. We just need to be extra careful no matter what.

It's the risk bicylists face each time we ride on the streets and for some they have to pay the ultimate price for either being careless and not wearing a helmet or being a victim to careless drivers. When I go riding I'm super careful and thank God I have not got into any major accidents. Keep your eyes and ears open and try not to wear headphones while you ride.

How did that happen? Was he not paying attention? Was it foggy out? That's tragic especially at such a young age.

The other night, there was the news about the proponents of the bike lane. The group wants the local governments to install bike lanes at least in the main roads. They mentioned the 198 deaths last year, bikers who died mostly from collision with other vehicles. It is not easy to grant that wish of installing bike lanes because of the big budget involved. However, it looks like that's the best solution to prevent deaths from collisions such as what is stated in this thread.

I became very sad after reading this news. I think that most of the people in our world are not aware of the road safety regulation and they don't know how to ride a cycle perfectly. Almost everybody need a perfect training so that they could ride cycles safely.

Another thing that I would like to add is that any high speed vehicle that collides with a cyclist, will in most cases result in the death of the rider. This may seem blatantly obvious but there are those that believe wearing a helmet somehow protects them. It doesn't do anything of the sort in a high speed collision, the cyclist's survival rate immediately drops to 0% in such cases.

I've seen a lot of motorcycle accidents. But never any occurred by bicycles, even when I found very worrisome to see a lot of cyclist without protection gear riding alongside busy transit road.

Such a tragedy. But that doesn't justify a ban. That justifies the need of popular safety awareness. Otherwise the risk chances will not lower.

I personally think that cyclists should go through a set of skill tests until the can bike on the road. That would greatly reduce the amount of accidents.