Cyclist dies in Oakleigh after falling from bike

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
A 78-year-old man has died after suffering a cardiac arrest while riding his bicycle in Oakleigh on Monday morning.

It is believed the cyclist was riding along Portman Street around 7.40am when he had the cardiac arrest and fell off his bicycle.

He was attended to by paramedics, but died at the scene.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Read more: http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/8777-cyclist-dies-in-oakleigh.html

Sad but I can think of worse ways to go such as wasting away in a nursing home.

I think it is not the biking that caused the death but the heart attack. This is similar to a friend who had a heart attack while driving in the highway. Fortunately he has a passenger who has the presence of mind to take over the control of the vehicle. You really don't know when a heart attack would hit you so you just be ready whe you feel something bad.

I think it is not the biking that caused the death but the heart attack. This is similar to a friend who had a heart attack while driving in the highway. Fortunately he has a passenger who has the presence of mind to take over the control of the vehicle. You really don't know when a heart attack would hit you so you just be ready whe you feel something bad.
Well, yeah, but one could make the argument that the biking causes the heart attack. I mean, he was 78, that's pretty old if you ask me. Macho Man Randy Savage died like that, he had a heart attack while driving and crashed into a tree.

Well, yeah, but one could make the argument that the biking causes the heart attack. I mean, he was 78, that's pretty old if you ask me. Macho Man Randy Savage died like that, he had a heart attack while driving and crashed into a tree.

I am going to assume you are in your 20s. Trust me at some point in your life , if you live long enough, you won't think of 78 as "pretty old". :)

I am going to assume you are in your 20s. Trust me at some point in your life , if you live long enough, you won't think of 78 as "pretty old". :)

Haha, yeah I am, but I'm basing it of my grandfather who died at 78 and was immobile for the last few years of his life. He had some health issues though, so it's probably a different situation.

Pretty sad incident and it's gonna be very hard for the relatives, especially seeing as it's happened around this times of year.

Sounds like he was pretty active though. I mean riding around at his age, good on him!

Yes, I agree to that - the death was caused by the heart attack which was triggered by biking. That is very possible considering the biking is a strenuous activity. And at 78 years old, even the fittest can be hit by a traitor like heart attack. This reminds me of a certain Tom Ong who owns a classy gym in a high end commercial complex. He died at 60 from a heart attack right in his gym.

Yes, I agree to that - the death was caused by the heart attack which was triggered by biking. That is very possible considering the biking is a strenuous activity. And at 78 years old, even the fittest can be hit by a traitor like heart attack. This reminds me of a certain Tom Ong who owns a classy gym in a high end commercial complex. He died at 60 from a heart attack right in his gym.
Ouch. That's really bad situation right there. What I like about cycling is that it can be a very leisurely activity, much like taking a walk in terms of activity, but at 78 lots of stuff can happen to you. If I'm being honest, I'd rather die from a heart attack at 78 while being active my entire life than live to a 100 and be bed-ridden and a burden for my family.

Reactions: Corzhens
Actually being a burden is the only attractive portion of that scenario. I truly want to be a pain in someone a** as long as I can. It is a get even sort of thing. :)

Actually being a burden is the only attractive portion of that scenario. I truly want to be a pain in someone a** as long as I can. It is a get even sort of thing. :)

Take one of those motorised scooters and ride along a narrow highway that goes up a hill with no room to overtake :D

Seriously though, even if you're bed ridden I doubt you would be a burden to your family. I mean if a family cares about you then they wouldn't see you as a burden, right?

Ouch. That's really bad situation right there. What I like about cycling is that it can be a very leisurely activity, much like taking a walk in terms of activity, but at 78 lots of stuff can happen to you. If I'm being honest, I'd rather die from a heart attack at 78 while being active my entire life than live to a 100 and be bed-ridden and a burden for my family.

We have the same thinking. My mother is 82 now and she was hit by a stroke 5 years ago, leaving half her body paralyzed and she is now dependent on caregivers for her movements including her eating. Worse, she had lost her speech. I wouldn't want to be like that because it is pathetic and pitiful not only to the patient but also to the family.

Take one of those motorised scooters and ride along a narrow highway that goes up a hill with no room to overtake :D

Seriously though, even if you're bed ridden I doubt you would be a burden to your family. I mean if a family cares about you then they wouldn't see you as a burden, right?

It may be an accepted responsibility but it is still a burden and a painful one. It is draining to watch a parent slowing die when they don't even know who you are. The process can go on for years. The only thing worse is losing a child that should have outlived you.

We have the same thinking. My mother is 82 now and she was hit by a stroke 5 years ago, leaving half her body paralyzed and she is now dependent on caregivers for her movements including her eating. Worse, she had lost her speech. I wouldn't want to be like that because it is pathetic and pitiful not only to the patient but also to the family.

It's a very big strain on the other family relationships as well. My mother and grandmother got into a lot of arguments when my great-grandmother fell ill. She was 85 and had Alzhemier's and she lived up until 89. Was really tough for both of them and it took them years to reconcile after that.

Reactions: Corzhens
I first I thought it was because he was biking, but then I remembered watching some documentary or something of the sort that you can have a heart attack at anytime. I don't know if something can initiate it. No wonder they say "YOLO". That phrase still gets on my nerves though. I hear it everywhere. Can't someone die and be revived? So, later wouldn't that be living twice or even more times?

Wow that's really sad, especially since he was out getting exercise but suffered a heart attack anyway. What a shame.

Really sad. At least the man seems to have had a sudden cardiac arrest and didn't suffer an agonic death.

It's sad but then again, this man wasn't exactly young. I think 78 years is a moderately good age to depart from this earthly existence. Whether one gets to live 5-10 years longer is pretty much a moot point. You already know that you've got one foot in the grave, and just biding your time.