Cyclist down in Kew - Roll call...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by eddiec, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Just a quick roll call given that I know that a fair few of the people here ride through Kew Junction via High St, and this morning had the misfortune of observing a cyclist down at that notorious side street (the last on your left before the junction heading west), looking barely conscious...

    I've heard of at least two close calls at that intersection, and been involved in one myself....

    Everybody here and present who comes that way?

    Tags:

  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    present... Sounds nasty..

    I drove today.. I didnt feel any new speed humps through Kew tho..

    cheers,
    GPL

  3. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    eddiec wrote:
    > Just a quick roll call given that I know that a fair few of the people
    > here ride through Kew Junction via High St, and this morning had the
    > misfortune of observing a cyclist down at that notorious side street
    > (the last on your left before the junction heading west), looking
    > barely conscious...
    >
    > I've heard of at least two close calls at that intersection, and been
    > involved in one myself....
    >
    > Everybody here and present who comes that way?

    Not me, I'm stuck with an ankle injury with nice new GP3000's on my bike
    and me unable to test them out. <drool> Hmmmmmmmmm so blue </enddrool>

    DaveB

  4. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    I came through there this morning and didn't see anything:confused: Around say 8:20..

    Jono

  5. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Happened at about 7.40 or so, so it's a good thing if it was cleared by then. It looked as if the traffic was backed up with a large van just before the interesection, and the cyclist might have been slipping down the lefthand side when someone coming the other way has turned right in front of them, with the van blocking the view of cyclist (and vice versa). Happened to me once too.. dented an Integra nicely. Unfortunately this guy didn't seem as well off...

  6. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Just a quick roll call given that I know that a fair few of the people
    > here ride through Kew Junction via High St, and this morning had the
    > misfortune of observing a cyclist down at that notorious side street
    > (the last on your left before the junction heading west), looking
    > barely conscious...
    >
    > I've heard of at least two close calls at that intersection, and been
    > involved in one myself....
    >
    > Everybody here and present who comes that way?
    >

    > --
    > eddiec

    Not I...still gouty.

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    not I. tram'd today due to cold/flu/plague thing :(

    scenario brings back flashbacks of ill-tides-of-may-shoulder-biffo :-(

  8. blah

    blah Guest

    Not me; still alive.

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    when you moving to your new digs?

  10. blah

    blah Guest

    All done already. Did the move on Saturday (no BR for the last two due
    to packing and then unpacking on Sundays) we're now just cleaning up at
    the old place. Been good so far - not too noisy, transport's good.
    Eating out is too easy, though. Of course, the supermarket at QV is
    only about 100m away, so shopping's easy, too. Only biked to work once
    so far, 'cause I've been screwing around with agents and cleaning and
    stuff too much to get organised with shirts and things at work. Hope to
    get into a rhythm of three days riding, two on trams soon (school
    holidays are soon, though) 'cause I have to ditch my car - only one car
    space. Hope to be out on BR this week; a bit of a longer ride to the
    Donk start point.

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    noice. you'll notice the difference 'going the other way'

    you need a shitter-commuter :D

    Flying"bike-pimp"Dutch

  12. blah

    blah Guest

    Sure as hell noticed going the other way on Tuesday. Very nice easterly
    wind just pushed me up Johnstone Street - doing 35 easily up that hill
    near Smith Street, much quicker on the flat. While I know the wind'll
    be going a different direction every other day, I couldn't help but
    think it was some kind of good omen as I thought of struggling against
    it all the way (well, 10kay) out to Box Hill on Whitehorse Road if I
    still lived out there. Big grin.

  13. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    Code:

    Code:

    I'm OK. But I do live in Brisbane.

  14. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309

    Cycling is such a dangerous pastime that we should have a roll call every morning to see who is still with us. :p

    Or per'aps call the main hospitals every morning to find out how many cyclists have been admitted in the last 24 hours. :p :p

    Steve(dangerous sports fan)A

  15. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-01, SteveA (aka Bruce)
    > Cycling is such a dangerous pastime that we should have a roll call
    > every morning to see who is still with us. :p

    > Steve(dangerous sports fan)A

    Thanks, dutchy:
    http://www.environment.ucf.edu/bikepath/Supporting Files/cycling_proposal - 5 May 2003.pdf

    "Observers have called them [vehicular cyclists] adherents an (sic)
    extreme sport."

    Buhahahaha. I am now thinking of that ad "There are sports. Then
    there are extreme sports". And a realo extreme sport, combining the
    two: batting a tennis ball around on a pogo stick as one rides down a
    hill no-handed at 85km/h on a fixie.

    --
    TimC
    If I had encountered Bill Gates today, I would have shaken his hand,