cyclist injured

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
See http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/mar03/mar25news2

"UK Amateur Dan Fleeman injured in training Dan Fleeman, a 20-year-old Elite rider and member of
Team Lichfield, was seriously injured by a motorist during a training ride last Wednesday. Dan was
returning home when a motorist pulled out on him in the village of Armitage, near Lichfield. Dan
suffered severe damage to both his legs and was rushed to hospital in Burton upon Trent, where
x-rays revealed that he had smashed both kneecaps. An operation on Friday wired up one kneecap,
while the other was completely removed.

Dan was riding with Team Lichfield after he spent last year riding full-time for the French UCD Nord
'87 Division III team. He had highlighted the British National U23 series and championship as his
main objectives for the year. Two years ago Dan rode for a Belgian team based in Ghent, but decided
that in 2003 he would ride in the UK as part of Team Lichfield.

Team Lichfield and Lichfield City CC wish Dan a speedy recovery and hope to see him back on the bike
as soon as possible. Dan has already made great progress since the accident and subsequent operation
and is very determined to fully recover as soon as he can. Cyclingnews also extends its best wishes
for a full recovery."

Let's hope he recovers completely and soon - and the driver gets charged.

helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> See http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/mar03/mar25news2
>

> Let's hope he recovers completely and soon - and the driver gets charged.

I hope he recovers completely too. Sounds a nasty accident. Not sure I agree with the 'driver gets
charged' statement. I know we all hate to see SMIDSY's, but there's a lot of facts not mentioned in
the article. I wouldn't like to make the assumption the driver was immediately in the wrong. Being a
young racer, I am guessing that Dan 'could' have been travelling at speed. He may have been over the
speed limit (over 30mph isn't a huge problem for these guys), the driver might have had a few
drinks, I just don't know enough. But have to agree that I feel for the guy. Terrible luck for a
young guy who obviously loves the sport so much. What's the recovery time for that sort of injury?

Nick

>I wouldn't like to make the assumption the driver was immediately in the wrong.

Based on the article saying "Dan was returning home when a motorist pulled out on him" if it is
different to that, point taken.

>Being a young racer, I am guessing that Dan 'could' have been travelling at speed. He may have been
>over the speed limit (over 30mph isn't a huge problem for these guys),

Speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

>the driver might have had a few drinks

Let's hope he hadn't - there's nothing in the article to suggest he had.

>But have to agree that I feel for the guy.

Indeed - let's hope he recovers completely.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> He may have been over the speed limit (over 30mph isn't a huge problem for these guys

Irrelevant for a cyclist. He is not bound by speed limits, only the duty to cycle with due care and
consideration.

Tony

> >I wouldn't like to make the assumption the driver was immediately in the wrong.
>
> Based on the article saying "Dan was returning home when a motorist pulled
out
> on him" if it is different to that, point taken.

I was just trying to point out that the article doesn't contain all the facts. It was written by a
cyclist magazine, I wonder what the car magazine would write?

> >Being a young racer, I am guessing that Dan 'could' have been travelling at speed. He may have
> >been over the speed limit (over 30mph
isn't
> >a huge problem for these guys),
>
> Speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

Sorry bad wording, I meant 'riding aggressively', which the police use to mean the same thing.
Although thinking about it, I still think speeding applies. Not in law, but it does in the sense
that if you cannot stop in an emergency ... but that's another can of worms .. I'm sure the driver
getting a small fine won't cheer him up at all.

Anyway, what's done is done, lets just wish the best to the guy.

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
>SMIDSY's, but there's a lot of facts not mentioned in the article. I wouldn't like to make the
>assumption the driver was immediately in the wrong. Being a young racer, I am guessing that Dan
>'could' have been travelling at speed. He may have been over the speed limit (over 30mph isn't a
>huge problem for these guys), the driver might have had a few drinks, I just don't know enough.

The driver might not have been in the wrong, because the cyclist might have been travelling at a
legal speed, or the driver might have been illegally drunk?