cyclist is thinking of doing some running?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by fordguru, Oct 21, 2009.

1. fordguru

fordguru New Member

i have been into cycling off and on my whole life. i love cycling but with cold temps and the fact i might be getting light enough i am thinking doing some running. i have rode more this year than ever. my legs have gone through a transition that i have never had. i think? i can hold hard efforts longer than i ever could without the burn and consitantly average higher speeds on long rides.

my question is, if i do less cycling and bring in some running will i lose this hard earned benifit?

i am looking to stay in good cycling shape over the winter to prepare for several rides i have planned for next year. i am looking to play squash with some guys on a couple of these rides. i realize riding an indoor trainer would be a great option. i am just looking to dabble in something new as to guage how i could do in some tri's maybe. i figure a break from the bike could make me love it that much more next spring also when i will cycle only again.

thanks

jason
    :D

Tags:

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

The old mantra was "cyclists should never run".

However that mantra is an urban myth.

We used to do a lot of cardio work during the winter when lack of light prevented evening spins.
    We used run 5 miles : then do circuit training and then play one hour of indoor football.
    Our squad included guys who went on to win TDF, national road titles etc.

3. John Harlin

John Harlin New Member

Do the same type of training for running - that is quality long runs -- and you will come out of the Winter very fit. At least two weeks if not longer before your cycling race, you should not do any running. Remember that you can lose all your cycling training effects very rapidly so you will have to be patient when you start up cycling again next spring.
    ------------------------------------------------------

i can hold hard efforts longer than i ever could without the burn and consitantly average higher speeds on long rides

4. fordguru

fordguru New Member

thanks for both of my replies. so the benifit in my legs could be lost if i dont maintain a cetain amount of cycling. so i can just maintain my aerobic fitness with running and maybe even improve my aerobic ability? that is what i thought i guess, i was wondering if the lack of burn in my legs came from my aerobic fitness somewhat i guess?

thanks!

jason

5. Watoni

Watoni New Member

Running can be very efficient, but I would not stop cycling since you may lose efficiency of your pedaling and your overall comfort on the bike if you just run for several months.

I think this is an interesting read:

Welcome to 53x12.com

I am thinking of doing some trail running this winter but will still spend most of my hours cycling.