Cyclist killed at South Brisbane

For those of you that care about the actual ACCIDENT...

I cross this intersection 2 to 4 times every day on my way to work and
to lunch in the city... Although I've never witnessed a near vehicle
accident on this intersection, I have over the past three months seen
at least 10 pedestrians come close to being skittled. The reason for
this is the confusing 2 sets of bi-directional lanes on Melbourne
street(busway + car way) and pedestrian lights which trick those who
think they're smart enough to know when the little green man will
appear (the lights cycle twice before allowing pedestrians to cross)...

Weather it was fortunate or not I don't know, I missed the actual
accident by about 10 minutes on my way back from the city. The street
was blocked off by a fire truck, a number of police cars and an
ambulance. As they were blocking Grey street which I normally walked
down, I asked the police officers if it was safe to proceed down Grey
street. Without them telling me what happened they said "yeah you're
right"... I walked about 4 metres before witnessing a body half covered
by a white sheet, perhaps 3 metres to my right... It was a scene that
I'll never forget and I will never rush across major intersections for
the rest of my life... serious reality check...

The thing that really pi$$ed me off though was the fact that (a) the
body was almost completely unattended (b) the police let myself and a
number of families with young CHILDREN walk past the deceased (c) there
was no involved vehicle in sight (ie: the bus) which gave me the
impression that the timetable was more important than the life lost,
and (d) little effort was made to cover the body which was... hmm... im
sure you can imagine. I must say, a completely inexcusable effort by
both police and ambulance officers in this case. I realise a body can't
be moved after an accident but at least pay the respects of exercising
some discretion.

At the risk of sounding like a real sicko, for those of you that wish
to debate the exact situation that took place, there are two or three
small permanent yellow road markings where the tragedy took place. They
are situated next to the traffic island closest to the museum on the
intersection of Grey and Melbourne streets.

God bless the doctor that witnessed the accident and attempted to
revive this man we speak of. God damn the ******* bus drivers that so
carelessly fly through this intersection looking half asleep and very
obviously travelling over the speed limit through their exclusive
busway. I don't know what it is about this area but the bus drivers
almost always seem to be speeding and flying through the last
millisecond of an orange light.

After witnessing what I did, I have spent countless hours looking for
more information on the accident through news articles. Strangely
enough, with the public sector involved (Queensland Transport) it seems
nothing but the BARE minimal details have made it to press. Any private
incident seems to follow with masses of detail.

[email protected]

After witnessing what I did, I have spent countless hours looking for
more information on the accident through news articles. Strangely
enough, with the public sector involved (Queensland Transport) it seems
nothing but the BARE minimal details have made it to press. Any private
incident seems to follow with masses of detail.
Hi Liam,

I am going to suggest to you that it might be benefial to contact CARS (Citizens Against Road Slaughter). (Phone: (07) 3857 5634) They are a non-profit Queensland organisation with a focus on supporting victims of road trauma. They may be able to help you with some information and ways of dealing with what you have witnessed.

http://www.cars.asn.au/

On 2006-01-23, [email protected] (aka Bruce)
> Weather it was fortunate or not I don't know, I missed the actual
> accident by about 10 minutes on my way back from the city. The street
> was blocked off by a fire truck, a number of police cars and an
> ambulance. As they were blocking Grey street which I normally walked
> down, I asked the police officers if it was safe to proceed down Grey
> street. Without them telling me what happened they said "yeah you're
> right"... I walked about 4 metres before witnessing a body half covered
> by a white sheet, perhaps 3 metres to my right... It was a scene that
> I'll never forget and I will never rush across major intersections for
> the rest of my life... serious reality check...
>
> The thing that really pi$$ed me off though was the fact that (a) the
> body was almost completely unattended (b) the police let myself and a
> number of families with young CHILDREN walk past the deceased (c) there
> was no involved vehicle in sight (ie: the bus) which gave me the
> impression that the timetable was more important than the life lost,
> and (d) little effort was made to cover the body which was... hmm... im
> sure you can imagine. I must say, a completely inexcusable effort by
> both police and ambulance officers in this case. I realise a body can't
> be moved after an accident but at least pay the respects of exercising
> some discretion.

Damn. This would probably be worth a letter both to the police
ombudsman, and to any PT regulators (dunno who, in Qld).

Of course, a letter to the editor with your story could do a little
good, too.

It's pretty wrong that a bus would be allowed to be removed from the
scene. I do hope that it was at least driven by another driver, and
not a driver who just killed someone and possibly would be stressed,
shocked, and of course possibly under the influence of whatever /may/
have caused the collision in the first place.

--
TimC
The gedanken experiment failed. I couldn't reproduce the results -- TimC

Liam wrote:
>...the confusing 2 sets of bi-directional lanes on Melbourne
>street(busway + car way) and pedestrian lights which trick those who
>think they're smart enough to know when the little green man will
>appear (the lights cycle twice before allowing pedestrians to cross)...

Many cyclists must have nearly come to grief here. Even when it's dead
quiet before 6am on a Sunday, you wait and wait and wait at the light
on Grey St and finally say 'Fsck it' and go to run the red. I did this
and so nearly went under a bus. The bus lane is on the 'wrong' side of
the road and I didn't know this, hence didn't look.

Donga