Cyclist Killed Epping :(

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, May 23, 2006.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Just heard on radio...

    10am, MacDonalds Rd Epping

    didnt catch any other details

    Epping seems to be rather over represented in cyclist fatalities?

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Should investigate this one - ie: locality, time, type of vehicles involved (if there was). There was one fatal on April 28 at Miller and Cooper Streets, near Epping Plaza.

  3. ray

    ray Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Just heard on radio...
    >
    > 10am, MacDonalds Rd Epping
    >
    > didnt catch any other details
    >
    > Epping seems to be rather over represented in cyclist fatalities?

    McDonalds Rd is a horror, dating back in basic form to the 1970s,
    surrounded by new megatrendoid housing estates, no sealed shoulders,
    add-on turn lanes and vastly more traffic than the original two lane was
    ever designed for. Unfortunately, this is exactly why cycling in outer
    urban areas is down to one per cent, shockers like this people have good
    cause to be very wary of.

  4. jake_dmp.

    jake_dmp. New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2006
    as a former resident of the area, (house was one street off McDonalds Road) I agree with Ray. I am feel a bit sick at the moment thinking the 1000's of times I rode along McDonalds road and the near misses I had!! Their are plenty of cycling dangers out that way, eg the dual lane road abouts at High & coopers streets , and dalton rd & childs rd.:(

  5. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    some info in the paper...

    A cyclist was killed in a collision with a car in Epping, 18 kilometres north of Melbourne, this morning.

    The 33-year-old Mill Park man was travelling east on McDonalds Road near Civic Drive when he collided with a car travelling in the same direction.

    Bystanders performed CPR on the man until paramedics arrived before 10am, but he died at the scene, a Metropolitan Ambulance spokeswoman said.

    A police spokeswoman said the driver of the car would not be charged.

    Not quite sure how one 'collides' with a car travelling in the same direction with enough force to result in death....

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    was thinking the same thing... ?

    endo'd the car from behind?
    fell in fornt of it?

    too crap to think about it :(

  7. A Melbourne cyclist was killed this morning after he was hit by a
    car.
    The 33-year-old cyclist was travelling east along McDonalds Road in
    Epping, in Melbourne's north, when he was hit by the car shortly before
    10am (AEST).
    A Victoria Police spokeswoman said it appeared the cyclist pulled
    out in front of the car and charges for the driver, aged in his 20s,
    were unlikely.
    Liana Cross from the Metropolitan Ambulance Service said despite the
    efforts of by-standers, who carried out CPR on the cyclist, he died at
    the scene.
    Police are yet to release the name of the deceased man.
    The death brings Victoria's road toll to 128 for the year compared
    to 155 at the same time last year.

    Gee. Another thorough investigation by the Victoria Police.

    Cop: "What happened?"
    Driver: "He just pulled out in front of me."
    Cop: "Well then, case closed. I'm off to bank my bribes. Someone clean
    this mess up."

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hmmm. so travelling in same direction AND pulling out in front of car?!?!?!?

    lots of leaps of assumptions, possibly some by 'us'.
    Need to clarify further but would be good to find out more. fark it...

  9. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    at least people actually tried to help him. just plain sucks.

    guess can't really say anything until you get the full details.... the news paper clippings just make things worst.

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Taking a wider approach: who wants to go up to Epping and do a 'site visit' of either Cooper/Miller and McDonalds Roads? As I'm from the relatively (spoiled) inner north suburbs, some of us advocates *should* show support for the outer 'burbs cyclists. I'd totally agree with Ray that the local road conditions are shite, but neither should we simply accept that as the staus quo.

  11. Donga

    Donga Guest

    This thread motivated me to take up issue with Wynnum Road (Briz)
    outside the Plaza shopping centre - also a god-awful design with lanes
    converging rapidly, gutter with no shoulder and likely rear hits (when
    I swerve in front of the car of course, not when it travels too close
    to me). Thanks folks.

    Donga

  12. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    here's a birds-eye view of the area in question: http://tinyurl.com/hsxav

  13. cameron41

    cameron41 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    That's 3 cycling fatalities within a 5km radius in this area in the last 16 months. It's very sad.

  14. ray

    ray Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > eddiec Wrote:
    >
    >>A police spokeswoman said the driver of the car would not be charged.
    >>

    >>Not quite sure how one 'collides' with a car travelling in the same
    >>direction with enough force to result in death....

    > was thinking the same thing... ?
    >
    > endo'd the car from behind?
    > fell in fornt of it?
    >
    > too crap to think about it :(

    Cause of Crash:- PILOT ERROR. It's always very convenient to have
    someone to blame who happens to be dead. Was the cyclist experienced?
    Did he know the road? Was there a good reason for course deviation, ie,
    shattered glass, bloody great pothole etc. And what was the driver doing
    at the time, blabbing on his f---ing mobile? Of course he wouldn't tell
    the police that, and there are no witnesses.
    This is disgusting. Write to ALL the papers and call for a full inquiry,
    not a whitewash.

  15. ray

    ray Guest

    ray wrote:
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    >
    >> eddiec Wrote:
    >>
    >>> A police spokeswoman said the driver of the car would not be charged.
    >>>

    >>> Not quite sure how one 'collides' with a car travelling in the same
    >>> direction with enough force to result in death....

    >> was thinking the same thing... ?
    >>
    >> endo'd the car from behind?
    >> fell in fornt of it?
    >>
    >> too crap to think about it :(
    >>

    > Cause of Crash:- PILOT ERROR. It's always very convenient to have
    > someone to blame who happens to be dead. Was the cyclist experienced?
    > Did he know the road? Was there a good reason for course deviation, ie,
    > shattered glass, bloody great pothole etc. And what was the driver doing
    > at the time, blabbing on his f---ing mobile? Of course he wouldn't tell
    > the police that, and there are no witnesses.
    > This is disgusting. Write to ALL the papers and call for a full inquiry,
    > not a whitewash.

    Got sufficiently pissed off with this one to do it myself, see below:

    Good Morning People,
    A cyclist was killed
    yesterday morning in McDonalds Road, Epping. He reportedly somehow
    managed to turn in front of a following vehicle and was pronounced dead
    at the scene. Police stated the driver was not expected to be charged.
    I've seen and heard all this, personally, before. I know McDonalds Road
    from first-hand experience. Too much traffic, too fast, too narrow, no
    sealed shoulders.
    Four years ago, in not unsimilar circumstances, I was flattened on an
    outer urban road by an SUV. The driver asked me afterwards if I had been
    on the footpath. When she hit me on the left hand side of the ROAD, on a
    racing tandem doing 17 metres A SECOND just before the collision.
    And I presume had I not survived the crash, (she wasn't charged either)
    the police would have taken her (totally erroneous) word on that one.

    Ray Peace