Cyclist killed in freak accident....

Dave

Guest
I don't subscribe to posting reports on cyclists deaths as a matter of course, but felt that this
one needs mentioning...

A boxing champ died when he was thrown from his bicycle through the rear windscreen of a parked
Mercedes Vaneo, as he turned to talk to a friend. His friend, who administered first aid at the
scene of the accident, reported that he hadn't seen the vehicle. It was reported that he wasn't
wearing a helmet but his mother said today that he died from neck injuries. He was 14 and the
accident occured at 1235hrs yesterday. Apparently he had had his bike stolen previously and his
mother is quoted as saying she only bought him the new one three weeks ago....

I appreciate this is a terrible tragedy and we should perhaps give a minutes silence and thoughts
and condolences with the lads family...but one has to wonder if this is a case for proof of boxing
causing brain damage in the young ??...

Dave.

In news:[email protected], Dave <[email protected]> typed:

> ...but one has to wonder if this is a case for proof of boxing causing brain damage in the
> young ??...

A not unknown accident amongst non-boxers so almost certainly unrelated to his boxing.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

In article <[email protected]>, junk@raven- family.com says...
> In news:[email protected], Dave <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> > ...but one has to wonder if this is a case for proof of boxing causing brain damage in the
> > young ??...
> >

> A not unknown accident amongst non-boxers so almost certainly unrelated to his boxing.

I met a guy last year who had cycled into a parked Merc, head down going for it. This was many years
ago when the Merc badge was essentially a circular knife mounted on the bonnet. He had a very large
scar on his thigh and he said that at the time the Merc owner was frantic about the amount of blood
on his car.

This guy wasn't a boxer. He was a body builder.

Colin

In news:MPG.19abf19955b419b2989b97@localhost, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> typed:

> I met a guy last year who had cycled into a parked Merc, head down going for it. This was many
> years ago when the Merc badge was essentially a circular knife mounted on the bonnet. He had a
> very large scar on his thigh and he said that at the time the Merc owner was frantic about the
> amount of blood on his car.

I've done it twice when I was a lad. First time into the back of a parked car which bent my forks
back. Local blacksmith repaired them and put a strengthening tube down the inside of the steerer
"just to be safe". Doh - quill stem no longer went inside and the tube was welded in and not
removable without destroying the steerer. One proud possession bike on the scrap heap.

Second time the forks survived but it was into the back of a caravan being loaded with pottery for
an exhibition. Apparently the impact came very close to sending a lot of expensive pottery
floorwards.

I've never boxed or body built

Tony

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I don't subscribe to posting reports on cyclists deaths as a matter of course, but felt that
> > this one needs mentioning...
> >
> > A boxing champ died when he was thrown from his bicycle through the rear windscreen of a parked
> > Mercedes Vaneo, as he turned to talk to a friend. His friend, who administered first aid at the
> > scene of the accident, reported that he hadn't seen the vehicle.....
>
> http://www.niemeijer.nu/images/vaneo-bewegin
>
> They look quite easy to see to me

Not if you're not looking ahead, which would presumably be the case "as he turned to talk to a
friend", particularly if the friend was behind him.

Dave wrote:

> one has to wonder if this is a case for proof of boxing causing brain damage in the young ??...

With the caveat that it was a Vauxhall Nova rather than a Merc Ugleo, I have done precisely this
through not looking where I was going, and have never boxed in my life...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In news:[email protected], Dave <[email protected]> typed:
> > >
> > > ...but one has to wonder if this is a case for proof of boxing causing brain damage in the
> > > young ??...
> > >

> > A not unknown accident amongst non-boxers so almost certainly unrelated to his boxing.
> >
> > Tony
> >
> Ah, but are you certain they aren't boxers or was that fact just omitted from previous
> reports ???...

I know two cyclists who have crashed into the rear of stationary vehicles. One was tragically
seriously injured, after going into the back of a bus ,was hospitalised for months, medically
retired, and last time I saw him still obviously not fully recovered. There other guy hit the back
of a car at a set of temp lights he wasn,t expecting to be there. Went over the handlebars, through
the windscreen and ended up between the driver and passenger. Other than minor cuts/bruises he was
OK. For what its worth I believe both wore helmets. The second guy is very pro- helmet. I ride an
MTB,a tourer, and a hybrid, all with a fairly similiar upright position and I can,t conceive I,ll
ever hit the back of a parked vehicle. Have any of the roadies on the group got opinions on the risk
involved in the head down crouch position used by some road cyclists. Iain C

> Dave wrote:
>
> > one has to wonder if this is a case for proof of boxing causing brain damage in the young ??...
>
> With the caveat that it was a Vauxhall Nova rather than a Merc Ugleo, I
have
> done precisely this through not looking where I was going, and have never boxed in my life...
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

To be honest the comment re boxing was a little facetious <s?>, I admit......I was just at a loss as
to how one doesn't see a bloody great cage and grasping at straws. I mean c'mon guys. Everyone knows
how potentially dangerous it is out there with the moving stuff, never mind the stationary. Rule
no.1 has to be Stay Alert..... Having said that, I had a friend in the late 70's who rode his
motorbike over a parked car. The owner got out and started letting him know just how badly he'd
scratched the car while he was lying in a heap on the floor....couldn't work out how he'd managed
that either.. Dave.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> To be honest the comment re boxing was a little facetious <s?>, I admit......I was just at a loss
> as to how one doesn't see a bloody great cage and grasping at straws. I mean c'mon guys. Everyone
> knows how potentially dangerous it is out there with the moving stuff, never mind
the
> stationary. Rule no.1 has to be Stay Alert..... Having said that, I had a friend in the late 70's
> who rode his motorbike over a parked car. The owner got out and started letting him know just how
> badly he'd scratched the car while he was lying in a heap on the floor....couldn't work out how
> he'd managed that either.. Dave.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious

Yup, it's fine.

I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped, opened door, all understandable, but
still ridiculous. Puncture and a face plant is a real risk.

If someone moaned about their car and I was a bodybuilder/boxer/whatever, I'd hit them.

> elyob wrote:
> > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >

> >>To be honest the comment re boxing was a little facetious <s?>, I
> [...]
> > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious
> >
> > Yup, it's fine.
>
> And, perhaps interestingly, a word which contains all 5 vowels in the correct order. Abstemious is
> another. I think I need my lunch!

Spelling makes you hungry ... ? Countdown must starve you ...

elyob wrote:
> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>elyob wrote:
>>
>>>"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>[...]
>>
>>>http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious
>>>
>>>Yup, it's fine.
>>
>>And, perhaps interestingly, a word which contains all 5 vowels in the correct order. Abstemious is
>>another. I think I need my lunch!
>>

> Spelling makes you hungry ... ?

No, I think the lack of food is addling my brain.

> Countdown must starve you ...

The Borgerman is a big obstacle to watching any longer.

Colin

elyob wrote:

> I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped, opened door, all understandable,
> but still ridiculous. Puncture and a face plant is a real risk.

Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same three-dimensional co-ordinates as
the car. It helps, though, not to be looking where one is going - in my case I had my head down to
avoid ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> elyob wrote:
>
> > I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped, opened door, all understandable,
> > but still ridiculous. Puncture and a face plant is a real risk.
>
> Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same three-dimensional co-ordinates as
> the car. It helps, though, not to be looking where one is going - in my case I had my head down to
> avoid ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.

They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...

elyob wrote:

> They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...

OTOH, the previous year I had ingested one in France, which immediately caused a three-hour coughing
fit which threatened to turn me inside out...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I don't subscribe to posting reports on cyclists deaths as a matter of course, but felt that this
> one needs mentioning...
>
> A boxing champ died when he was thrown from his bicycle through the rear windscreen of a parked
> Mercedes Vaneo, as he turned to talk to a friend. His friend, who administered first aid at the
> scene of the accident, reported that he hadn't seen the vehicle. It was reported that he wasn't
> wearing a helmet but his mother said today that he died from neck
injuries.

Well, that's it then. If he'd been wearing a helmet it would have prevented the neck injuries and
saved his life. You read it all the time in the newspapaers.

In news:[email protected], elyob <[email protected]> typed:
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> elyob wrote:
>>
>>> I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped, opened door, all understandable,
>>> but still ridiculous. Puncture and a face plant is a real risk.
>>
>> Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same three-dimensional co-ordinates as
>> the car. It helps, though, not to be looking where one is going - in my case I had my head down
>> to avoid ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.
>
> They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...

OTOH once you've swallowed a fly you have to swallow a spider and so on until you end up swallowing
a horse which kills you of course :)

Tony

--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not
dying." Woody Allen

> In news:[email protected], elyob <[email protected]> typed:
> > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same three-dimensional co-ordinates
> >> as the car. It helps, though, not to be looking where one is going - in my case I had my head
> >> down to avoid ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.
> >
> > They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...
>
> OTOH once you've swallowed a fly you have to swallow a spider and so on until you end up
> swallowing a horse which kills you of course :)

Unless you're French...