Cyclist Knocked off Bike Six Times

HughMann

New Member
Jun 22, 2004
From Page one of todays Townsville BulletinTB 20Dec05

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17617885%255E14787,00.html

Bullying and inattentive drivers in the news again for running into cyclist and not stopping.

From reading the story I dont understand why every incident was not reported to Police.
I report all altercations when cycling regardless of how much info I do or dont have. Nothing to investigate but it gets in the stats.

Hugh

HughMann said:
From Page one of todays Townsville BulletinTB 20Dec05

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17617885%255E14787,00.html

Bullying and inattentive drivers in the news again for running into cyclist and not stopping.

From reading the story I dont understand why every incident was not reported to Police.
I report all altercations when cycling regardless of how much info I do or dont have. Nothing to investigate but it gets in the stats.
Agreed, if it's not reported it's invisible. Doesn't matter if you get rego or not, report it anyway.

I followed the link to the editorial:

Bad manners
LINDA Bateson's story is an extreme case of cycle rage but the uneasy relationship between cars and bikes continues unabated.

In an ideal world, additional bike paths are the answer but given budgetary constraints it is not only simplistic but unrealistic. In the meantime, the problem could be eased if drivers exercised a healthy dose of common courtesy.

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/sectionindex2/0,5935,nqncomment%5Ecomment%5ETEXT%5Etownsvillebulletin,00.html

The all too common refrain of `get bikes off the roads.' Bike paths aren't the answer, basic human courtesy is.

With five out of six drivers leaving the scene of an accident, one must
ask what the Qld Government thinks about introducing legal changes a la
SA's post-McGee review.

The editor needs some recalibration too.

Linda Bateson must be complimented on her guts. She should be heading
into **** Smith to get a recording video camera to attach to her
helmet.

Donga

Donga wrote:
> With five out of six drivers leaving the scene of an accident, one must
> ask what the Qld Government thinks about introducing legal changes a la
> SA's post-McGee review.
>
> The editor needs some recalibration too.
>
> Linda Bateson must be complimented on her guts. She should be heading
> into **** Smith to get a recording video camera to attach to her
> helmet.
>
> Donga

I still believe she should report each incident to the police even if
she can't remember it. It's important for police to have numbers on how
many times hit and runs are occuring and the numbers in regards to
accidents involving cyclists. I used to think the same way. I thought
police couldn't do anything but after talking to the police about
certain issues I've completely changed my mind. Police need to be
informed.

EuanB <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> HughMann Wrote:
>> From Page one of todays Townsville Bulletin'TB 20Dec05'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/9czly)

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7
>> 034,17617885%255E14787,00.html
>>
>> Bullying and inattentive drivers in the news again for
>> running into cyclist and not stopping.
>>
>> From reading the story I dont understand why every
>> incident was not reported to Police.
>> I report all altercations when cycling regardless of how
>> much info I do or dont have. Nothing to investigate but it
>> gets in the stats.
>>

> Agreed, if it's not reported it's invisible. Doesn't
> matter if you get rego or not, report it anyway.
>
> I followed the link to the editorial:
>
> Bad manners
> LINDA Bateson's story is an extreme case of cycle rage but
> the uneasy relationship between cars and bikes continues
> unabated.
>
> In an ideal world, additional bike paths are the answer but
> given budgetary constraints it is not only simplistic but
> unrealistic. In the meantime, the problem could be eased if
> drivers exercised a healthy dose of common courtesy.
>
> http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/sectionindex2/0,5935,

> qncomment%5Ecomment%5ETEXT%5Etownsvillebulletin,00.html
>
> The all too common refrain of `get bikes off the roads.'
> Bike paths aren't the answer, basic human courtesy is.

I saw that comment and immediately replied to that effect.
Specifically

Bike paths are not the answer for commuting riders. They are
going to the same places as everyone else. Instead educate
the drivers.

Darn I might have buy the paper to see if it makes it. Nah
I'll just nick it from work.

Cheers

BrettM