Cyclist Matthew Rex seriously injured

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gplama, Feb 10, 2007.

  1. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    [sorry guys, bad news 'car vs bike' post :(]

    AUSTRALIAN cyclist Matthew Rex has been seriously injured when knocked from his bicycle by a car in South Australia.

    A spokeswoman for Cycling Australia said today Rex remained in a serious but stable condition in hospital with head injuries after last night's accident

    HUN Link:http://tinyurl.com/3c7pcd

    Rider Profile:http://tinyurl.com/378l5s

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Damn unpleasant news, here's fingers, toes etc crossed that his condition will improve. CA will probably issue a media release Monday and CN will also have a update on first edition.

  3. "cfsmtb" wrote:

    > gplama Wrote:
    >>
    >> A spokeswoman for Cycling Australia said today Rex remained in a
    >> serious but stable condition in hospital with head injuries after last
    >> night's accident
    >>
    >> HUN Link:http://tinyurl.com/3c7pcd
    >>
    >> Rider Profile:http://tinyurl.com/378l5s

    > Damn unpleasant news, here's fingers, toes etc crossed that his
    > condition will improve. CA will probably issue a media release Monday
    > and CN will also have a update on first edition.

    Aw, damn that's a bad incident. And it's his birthday in 3 days time!

    Here's hoping it's just a concussion and he's home for his birthday. And I
    hope that witness comes up with the details of the cause of the crash.

    --
    Cheers
    Peter

    ~~~ ~ [email protected]
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*)

  4. kanangara

    kanangara New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004

    Very bad news. The drivers was apparently Chris Jongeward

    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21209165-2,00.html

    Parbs

  5. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I saw a news headline on TV last night and it was like 2 or 3 seconds and said Jongeward involved in Cyclist accident, thought it was quite strange, but they were showing a picture of a car, that is just to weird to.

  6. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    oh no. *sinking feeling* :(

  7. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    The news limited article mentioned they were actually celebrating Matthews birthday and due to certain events also mentioned, he's now in a induced coma. Bloody hell. :(

    More on CN: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb12news

    Australian cyclist injured in freak road accident
    Australian cyclist Matthew Rex is in a serious but stable condition after being hit by a car driven by friend and training partner Chris Jongewaard in Normanville, South Australia on Saturday night. Rex, a former member of the Australian Institute of Sport's under 23 program who now rides for Stuart O'Grady's development squad, Team O'Grady, sustained severe head injuries in the accident and is currently in an induced coma.

    Rex was riding with another person when the crash happened near to the Normanville hotel where Rex and Jongewaard had been celebrating Rex's 22nd birthday. "The circumstances of the crash are extremely unusual," said Rex's manager Max Stevens to the Adelaide Sunday Mail. "The family is obviously devastated with what's happened. It looks like a case of a birthday celebration that has turned into a tragedy."

    According to a police spokesman, Jongewaard, a recent winner of the Australian Mountain Bike Championship, had undergone a breath test after the accident.

  9. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
  10. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
  11. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    :(
    .

  12. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    "IF" that is the case, I certainly hope he does not use the old "I DID NOT SEE HIM" line, that would just be another slap in the face coming from another cyclist.

  13. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > SomeGuy Wrote:

    >> Wow, I guess that means they think Jongewaard was responsible for the
    >> accident. Damn.

    > "IF" that is the case, I certainly hope he does not use the old "I DID
    > NOT SEE HIM" line, that would just be another slap in the face coming
    > from another cyclist.

    Come on people, be consistant. Where is the baying for the motorists blood?

    Theo

  14. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Because we don't exactly know what happened yet, its just stuff printed in a paper up until now.... but the more we hear the more it seems the baying should start.

    Isn't this the kind of thing that should get you banned from Cycling for Australia ever again..... thats the sort of person you want on your team ?

  15. In aus.bicycle on Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:29:32 +1100
    MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >>
    >> Come on people, be consistant. Where is the baying for the motorists
    >> blood?
    >> Theo

    > Because we don't exactly know what happened yet, its just stuff printed
    > in a paper up until now.... but the more we hear the more it seems the
    > baying should start.

    Oh good, so next time there's a report of a cyclist being hit by a car
    the baying won't start till there's more info and say a conviction?

    I can hope...

    Zebee

  16. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    It sounds a like a case of silly b.uggers gone wrong...

    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21222237-2,00.html

  17. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 05:22:43 +1100
    byron27 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > It sounds a like a case of silly b.uggers gone wrong...
    >
    > http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21222237-2,00.html

    No way to know what Jongewaard was thinking or how it is different to
    what any carload of hoons is thinking is there.

    Except something about "hey, wouldn't it be fun to..."

    Now, if he went to high schools and told his story, maybe it might
    stick in a few minds. Which would be about the only good to come out
    of this.

    Zebee

  18. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Complete brain explosion - Jongewaard might be going through a personal hell, but at least he's conscious. Evidently, cyclists do stupid things when driving a car just like any other motorist.

    :(

    Ritch

  19. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    yeah what ever.... thats not what I mean't and you know it, so stuff it. It all gives me the sh*ts knowing that the person that hit me and destroyed my bike and sent me flying got a $120 fine and lost 1 point, maybe I should have died so she could get convicted, or forced myself into a coma.

    one thing is for sure, she sure as hell did not render assistance when she hit me, maybe she could have been charged with that.

    anyway hope Matthew Rex survives and dest wishes to his family... hope Chris Joongeward gets everything he deserves... not stopping just total cowardice

  20. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    It will be interesting to see how much alcohol he had in his system.