Cyclist Payback???

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:14:43 GMT, "Ken [NY)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

> Do you think that the crime should carry more
> punishment if the perpetrator laughs? Just curious,
> since I have heard that proposal before.

On reflection, yes. If you hit someone, stop, render aid,
they die, you call the police and show proper remorse -
well, you're a human being who made a mistake. If you hit
someone and drive off laughing leaving them to die, you are
inhuman. Looking at this guy's record he is apparently a
sociopath.

Cut off his goolies. It's the only language these people
understand.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:26:24 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]>:

>>Do you think that the crime should carry more punishment
>>if the perpetrator laughs? Just curious, since I have
>>heard that proposal before.

>I've heard it used by judges themselves. The issue of
>remorse does come in as a consideration.

The remorse usually starts at about the time they are
arrested and realise that despite having fled the scene they
are caught bang to rights. I am rather cynical about
lethally bad drivers whose lawyers tell the court they are
wracked with guilt as if this were punishment enough.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:24:21 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The remorse usually starts at about the time they are
>arrested and realise that despite having fled the scene
>they are caught bang to rights. I am rather cynical about
>lethally bad drivers whose lawyers tell the court they are
>wracked with guilt as if this were punishment enough.

I think it usually works in reverse. The judges don't give
extra points for showing high levels of remorse - there are
some TV evangelists that I can remember crying at the drop
of a hanky - but they take a harsh look at those that show
no remorse, like laughing at the victims' families. This
person was showing no remorse and in a clear way
(evidently).

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:14:43 GMT, "Ken [NY)" wrote:
>> Do you think that the crime should carry more
>> punishment if the perpetrator laughs? Just curious,
>> since I have heard that proposal before.
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:21:56 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you
know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>On reflection, yes. If you hit someone, stop, render aid,
>they die, you call the police and show proper remorse -
>well, you're a human being who made a mistake. If you hit
>someone and drive off laughing leaving them to die, you are
>inhuman. Looking at this guy's record he is apparently a
>sociopath.
>
>Cut off his goolies. It's the only language these people
>understand.

Assuming that the article is the truth (and all of it): He
is inhuman. Why should we care what language he understands?
His language should be WormFoodIsh -- as in, if they cut
something off, it should be his head. Is there some reason
to keep him around? Does he do anything other than hurt and
_deliberately_murder_ people? He has forfeited his excuse
for being alive.
--
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:48:14 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Is there some reason to keep him around? Does he do
>anything other than hurt and _deliberately_murder_ people?
>He has forfeited his excuse for being alive.

No, I don't want society to stoop to his level. Lock him up
and ensure a generous supply of razor blades and
barbiturates in case he wants to top himself.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:26:24 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> mumbled incoherently:

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:14:43 GMT, "Ken [NY)"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Do you think that the crime should carry more punishment
>>if the perpetrator laughs? Just curious, since I have
>>heard that proposal before.
>
>I've heard it used by judges themselves. The issue of
>remorse does come in as a consideration.

So sentences are based on how good an actor the
defendant happens to be. Justice is weird.

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
___________________________________
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"It should be the policy of the United States to support ef-
forts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from
power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic
government to replace that regime,"
-- 1998 Iraq Liberation Act (Public Law 105-338)
signed by Bill Clinton

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

spammers can send mail to [email protected]

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:07:48 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> mumbled incoherently:

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:24:21 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you
>know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The remorse usually starts at about the time they are
>>arrested and realise that despite having fled the scene
>>they are caught bang to rights. I am rather cynical about
>>lethally bad drivers whose lawyers tell the court they are
>>wracked with guilt as if this were punishment enough.
>
>I think it usually works in reverse. The judges don't give
>extra points for showing high levels of remorse - there are
>some TV evangelists that I can remember crying at the drop
>of a hanky - but they take a harsh look at those that show
>no remorse, like laughing at the victims' families. This
>person was showing no remorse and in a clear way
>(evidently).

I remember a child murderer a few years ago who was
found guilty of raping and strangling a very young
girl. Nobody thought much of it until he stood up
and gave the family of the victim the finger. Think
of it, the finger seemed to enrage the court and the
public more than the murder of a child.

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
___________________________________
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"It should be the policy of the United States to support ef-
forts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from
power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic
government to replace that regime,"
-- 1998 Iraq Liberation Act (Public Law 105-338)
signed by Bill Clinton

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

spammers can send mail to [email protected]

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:21:16 GMT, "Ken [NY)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>So sentences are based on how good an actor the defendant
>happens to be. Justice is weird.

As long as 'rehabilitation' is part of the sentence, then it
makes sense enough to consider it. If the intent is only to
punish, then it doesn't.

Of course, there would be logic in saying if three years of
the sentence is the rehabiliation portion and the person is
an obvious unremorseful SOB incapable of rehabilitation,
then you may as well knock off those three years from the
sentence...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The remorse usually starts at about the time they are
> arrested and realise that despite having fled the scene
> they are caught bang to rights. I am rather cynical about
> lethally bad drivers whose lawyers tell the court they are
> wracked with guilt as if this were punishment enough.

Does anyone keep statistics on repeat offenders? These
people who "must suffer every day of their lives with the
knowledge that they killed someone" -- do they kill again
more often, or less often, than the average motorist?

If they were truly remorseful, I would imagine they would
voluntarily give up driving. Permanently.

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think it usually works in reverse. The judges don't give
> extra points for showing high levels of remorse - there
> are some TV evangelists that I can remember crying at the
> drop of a hanky - but they take a harsh look at those that
> show no remorse, like laughing at the victims' families.
> This person was showing no remorse and in a clear way
> (evidently).

Yes. 27 years ago I was sentenced to six years in prison for
office burglary. The judge said he chose such a harsh
sentence because I "showed no remorse" and "appeared to be
angry". It was true I showed no remorse and was angry.
Because I was *innocent*. (I did not laugh at the victim.)

At the going rate for vehicular homicide, I could have
murdered more people than both of the Columbine killers did,
and laughed about it, and gotten a shorter sentence.

Is there any wonder why increasing numbers of Americans
regard our criminal justice system with utter contempt?
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/ Please see
http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.

What some people in this world will do just leaves me
stupidly opening and closing my gaping mouth like a fish.

There are truly some psychotic people in this world, and the
sad part of it is that some of them still get behind the
wheels of motor vehicles.
--
Trudi

"Boy, there sure is a lot of tension around here tonight.
It's like a Joan Crawford movie."

Trudi Marrapodi wrote:
> What some people in this world will do just leaves me
> stupidly opening and closing my gaping mouth like a fish.

This would mean more if the reader knew to what you were
referring.

Bill "context" S.

Media Release 04-04-08

Homicide Update

Vancouver - The 8th homicide victim of the year has been
identified as Jeffery James HENDRY. Mr. Henrdy is a 47-year-
old male who is a resident of the area.

Jeffery was found yesterday morning lying in the street in
the 2100 block of Williams St.

Investigators believe that Jeffery was out riding his bike
in the early morning hours of April 8th when he was
attacked. He suffered a serious assault. The motive is
still unknown.

A person was seen running from the scene wearing a dark
hoodie, however, that is the only description available.
Some media reports have suggested this homicide was
connected to windows of a vehicle being smashed out in the
area. There is a significant time delay between the two
incidents, but investigators will look at both incidents to
see if there is a connection.

Jeffery was mentally and physically challenged. His speech
was slow and he walked with a stiff leg. He was described
as a white male, 5-7 in height and 140lbs and had no
criminal record.

Police want to speak to anyone who may have known
Jeffery James Hendry, including any of his friends that
he had recent contact with. Investigators are looking
for any information on the areas that Jeffery enjoyed
visiting on his bike.
--
zk

Brendon M. Troy wrote:

> Sounds like a few regular posters to this newsgroup . . .
> extreme and violent reactions to their problems with
> motorists . . . Not that that is the norm, but I've seen
> some pretty violent, reactionary comments made here from
> time to time . . .

Put me at the front of that list. Until it's publicly known
that messing with a cyclist on the road will mean having 10-
20 of them track you down to beat your soul out of you
things will only get worse out on the roads.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

In article <[email protected]>, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Trudi Marrapodi wrote:
> > What some people in this world will do just leaves
> > me stupidly opening and closing my gaping mouth like
> > a fish.
>
> This would mean more if the reader knew to what you were
> referring.
>
> Bill "context" S.

THE ORIGINAL GUY who hit someone on a bike and laughed it
off. Not obvious enough without quoting the entire article?
--
Trudi

"Boy, there sure is a lot of tension around here tonight.
It's like a Joan Crawford movie."

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:34:50 -0400, [email protected]
(Trudi Marrapodi) wrote:
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> Trudi Marrapodi wrote:
>> > What some people in this world will do just leaves me
>> > stupidly opening and closing my gaping mouth like a
>> > fish.
>>
>> This would mean more if the reader knew to what you were
>> referring. Bill "context" S.
>
>THE ORIGINAL GUY who hit someone on a bike and laughed it
>off. Not obvious enough without quoting the entire article?

No. The original post in this thread was about a cyclist
slashing tires; it was a later post that talked about the
laughing killer.

You don't have to quote the entire article. You could just
quote enough for the rest of us to know what you're
talking about.
--
Rick Onanian

In rec.bicycles.misc Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
> No. The original post in this thread was about a cyclist
> slashing tires; it was a later post that talked about the
> laughing killer.
>
> You don't have to quote the entire article. You could just
> quote enough for the rest of us to know what you're
> talking about.

i implore you not to start. please! i got it. i did. i
really, really
did.

what did i get? damn, i didn't quote it. trudi's statement.
the one about being amazed what some people do. that's just
a paraphrase i don't remember it exactly. i clipped it. i'm
sorry. next time i'll be a better poster.

.. or not.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

David Reuteler wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> No. The original post in this thread was about a cyclist
>> slashing tires; it was a later post that talked about the
>> laughing killer.
>>
>> You don't have to quote the entire article. You could
>> just quote enough for the rest of us to know what you're
>> talking about.
>
> i implore you not to start. please! i got it. i did. i
> really, really did.
>
> what did i get? damn, i didn't quote it. trudi's
> statement. the one about being amazed what some people do.
> that's just a paraphrase i don't remember it exactly. i
> clipped it. i'm sorry. next time i'll be a better poster.

Where did YOU come from in this? All I and then Rick were
pointing out was that Trudi (not you) didn't quote ANYTHING
with her reply, so a reader might be confused. (Especially
one having server issues, like I have last few days. Getting
lots of replies without the OP showing up first.)

It would be like me replying to your comment above by just
posting "Here we go." (but after SNIPPING it so no one knew
what I meant).

Bill "fine with me to let it go at that" S.

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> Where did YOU come from in this? All I and then Rick were
> pointing out was that Trudi (not you) didn't quote
> ANYTHING with her reply, so a reader might be confused.
> (Especially one having server issues, like I have last
> few days. Getting lots of replies without the OP showing
> up first.)

just please don't respond to every poorly attributed post.
you'll flood us.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

We insist. We'll respond as we damn well please!
--
Rick "Get it?" Onanian

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
> We insist. We'll respond as we damn well please!

damn, i was gonna make that same joke.

instead i think i'm gonna bail on work and drink a serving
of $7 per bottle australian red. i've had a long, long week.
on bike topic. a single serving (750ml) fits perfectly into
one of my rear jersey pockets. how cool i must look cruisin'
down main with two bottles of wine stuffed into my jersey
pockets i can only imagine .. but damn.
--
david reuteler [email protected]