cyclist shoots motorist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steven M. O'Nei, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>, "Jacques Moser"
    ><[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?
    >
    >In case of disrespect, I guess. Got to teach those disrespecters a lesson. (I'm just being a little
    >sarcastic.)

"There is one thing that travels faster than the swiftest automobile yet invented and that is a
    bullet. It would not be well for the drivers of automobiles to induce the belief that firearms offer
    the only really efficient protection against them."

New York Times Editorial, March 26, 1902 (quoted in Down the Asphalt Path, by Clay McShane).
    --
    Steven O'Neill [email protected]

2. Kevan Smith

Kevan Smith Guest

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:35:43 +0100, "Jacques Moser"
    <[email protected]> from Bluewin AG wrote:

>Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?

To compensate for a small dick or other feelings of inadequacy.

--
    [email protected]
    What is the reality of the situation?

3. Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    :
    : On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:35:43 +0100, "Jacques Moser" <[email protected]>
    : from Bluewin AG wrote:
    :
    :>Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?
    :
    : To compensate for a small dick or other feelings of inadequacy.

i'm curious as to how you would use your dick in that situation?
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

4. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    David Reuteler <[email protected]> writes:
    > Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >:
    >: On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:35:43 +0100, "Jacques Moser" <[email protected]>
    >: from Bluewin AG wrote:
    >:
    >:>Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?
    >:
    >: To compensate for a small dick or other feelings of inadequacy.
    >
    > i'm curious as to how you would use your dick in that situation?

Ever see the scene in 'Oklahoma Crude', where George C. Scott pees on the shoes of shotgun-wielding
    Jack Palance?

Jack Palance -- now /there's/ a guy who can do The Look.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

5. David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, In some states, they also add the
    > proviso that if someone has broken into your house while you are home, they are presumed to be
    > intending to harm you, and you can legally shoot them. But you better not get them in the back.
    > Other states are more like FL, where there has to be an imminent threat.

In Florida you do not need to retreat from a threat, in your home or place of business, however you
    still need to be facing a threat of grave harm or death, before opening fire.

One gentleman, in South Florida, had have his business broken into many times to the point that he
    began sleeping there. A "gentleman" with a long long record of violence crimes, broke in and owner
    kill him by emptying his gun into the guy. The owner stated that he was under the impression/fear
    the man was arm however no gun was found on him.

The state attorney charge him, as they feel that emptying the gun into the man was "overkill".
    He refused a plea deal that would had resulted in no prison time but would had let him a
    convicted felon.

The short and long of it was that the community outcry was so bad that after a few months the state
    attorney back down and drop the charges.

Another businessman, in Florida, was held up at gun point and aftereward gave chase with a shotgun
    in hand. A gun battle resulted and the businessman with the shotgun won, however he did spend a
    short time in jail and ended up a convicted felon.

Bill Meredith

>
    > ....

6. "buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The over riding fact is "In what state this happens" and who has the best lawyer....... maybe the
    > cyclist was just trying to shoot the cell phone out of his hand.
    >
    >
    > "Steven M. O'Neill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Re: "Bicyclist charged with shooting at driver" http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-02092004-
    > > 243243.html
    > >
    > > The article states "A bicyclist shot a motorist in the arm during an altercation that began when
    > > the man on the bike made an obscene gesture, police said."
    > >
    > > Later on, the same article says "According to police, Urick told them he reacted as he did
    > > because Nicoletti told him to get off the road."
    > >
    > > So which is it? Sounds like the motorist could have easily threatened the cyclist with bodily
    > > harm first -- but of course it's only a crime if you do it with a gun, and not with a car.
    > >

Guys a verbal threat to do you harm is not enough reason to allow you to open fire on another human.

Hell, I was in a parking lot one day with my 80 year old mother, when a young woman lost it, because
    I had bump her car with a shopping cart. She got right into my face and told me that she was going
    to kill me and that she was going to follow me home and kill me.

Now I just stood there with my right hand holding a small two shot 38 in my pocket, watching her
    hands to see if she was going to go for a weapon that might had been somewhere on her. With my 80
    year old mother along there was no way I could had safety retreated from this nut case and if it had
    look like she was going for a gun or knife, I would had kill her.

Lucky she ran down and walk away never knowing how must risk her behavior had place herself in,
    however unitl she had done more them make verbal threats, I did not even have the legal right to
    remove the gun from my pocket!

Bill Meredith

7. Q.

Q. Guest

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

> >Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?
    >
    > To compensate for a small dick or other feelings of inadequacy.

Jesh ... never fails ... arguments always end up either talking about small dicks, or Nazis.

C.Q.C.

8. Kevan Smith

Kevan Smith Guest

On 10 Feb 2004 22:40:54 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> from VISI.com
    wrote:

>Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >:
    >: On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:35:43 +0100, "Jacques Moser" <[email protected]>
    >: from Bluewin AG wrote:
    >:
    >:>Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?
    >:
    >: To compensate for a small dick or other feelings of inadequacy.
    >
    >i'm curious as to how you would use your dick in that situation?

I'd keep it in check and not pretend to be John Wayne, full of testosterone and itching for a fight.

--
    [email protected]
    Short circuit (example: a man eating peas with the idea that they will
    improve his virility shovels them straight into his lap).

9. Q.

Q. Guest

"Bill Meredith" <n[email protected]> wrote

<snip>
    > Now I just stood there with my right hand holding a small two shot 38 in my pocket, watching her
    > hands to see if she was going to go for a weapon that might had been somewhere on her. With my 80
    > year old mother along there was no way I could had safety retreated from this nut case and if it
    > had look like she was going for a gun or knife, I would had kill her.
    >
    > Lucky she ran down and walk away never knowing how must risk her behavior had place herself in ...

Don't you just love that.

C.Q.C.

10. Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
    : "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote
    :
    :> >Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?
    :>
    :> To compensate for a small dick or other feelings of inadequacy.
    :
    : Jesh ... never fails ... arguments always end up either talking about small dicks, or Nazis.

does this mean the threads over? thread, we hardly knew ye.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

11. Hunrobe

Hunrobe Guest

>[email protected] (Steven M. O'Neill)

wrote:

>The article states "A bicyclist shot a motorist in the arm during an altercation that began when
    >the man on the bike made an obscene gesture, police said."
    >
    >Later on, the same article says "According to police, Urick told them he reacted as he did because
    >Nicoletti told him to get off the road."
    >
    >So which is it?

--snip--

Why do you think the two statements are mutually exclusive? 1- I flip you the bird. 2- You take
    exception to that, call me a name, and tell me to get off the road. 3- I react by shooting you.

Sounds like the motorist could have easily
    >threatened the cyclist with bodily harm first -- but of course it's only a crime if you do it with
    >a gun, and not with a car.

--snip--

No, it's only a crime if you actually *do* it. Does anyone honestly believe that if Nicoletti (the
    driver) had threatened to use his vehicle as a weapon to inflict bodily harm on Urick (the cyclist)
    that Urick would have failed to mention that when asked why he shot Nocoletti but would instead say
    in essence, "He was rude to me so I shot him."?

>(Or maybe the cyclist just went nuts for no reason -- I wasn't there.)
    >
    >Steve

I wasn't there either but given the barest of facts contained in the article I'm inclined to believe
    two things: This is a case of two knotheads meeting. Their modes of transportation have nothing to
    do with their status as knotheads.

Regards, Bob Hunt

12. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

[email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:

>Hell, I was in a parking lot one day with my 80 year old mother, when a young woman lost it,
    >because I had bump her car with a shopping cart. She got right into my face and told me that she
    >was going to kill me and that she was going to follow me home and kill me.

The proper thing to do would be to just have you pay to fix her car. You can't do that if you're
    dead - she clearly wasn't thinking ahead!

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

13. On 11 Feb 2004 01:10:37 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

>I wasn't there either but given the barest of facts contained in the article I'm inclined to
    >believe two things: This is a case of two knotheads meeting. Their modes of transportation have
    >nothing to do with their status as knotheads.

This cuts right to the essence of the matter.

About the shooting -- even if the shooter had been carrying legally (I gather he wasn't), he screwed
    up before he ever drew the weapon.

At least in my state, you must be an "unwilling participant" in an altercation that escalates to the
    necessity to use lethal force. Flipping the bird pretty much blows that. You must have made an
    effort to retreat, or strongly considered such an action and made a reasonable decision not to do
    so. Bikes can go where cars can't; though I don't know where this happened, hopping the curb or
    doing a 180 and riding the wrong way for half a block to lose the turd merchant would have been a
    reasonable option to drawing, much less using, the gun.

My own firearm has stayed in the holster except for cleaning and a lot of practice at the range, and
    God willing that will always be the case. And I have retreated from such encounters in which I have
    been an unwilling participant in unprovoked violence.

14. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Jacques Moser"
    > <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Why the &%! would anyone need to carry a _gun_ on a bike ?
    >
    > In case of disrespect, I guess. Got to teach those disrespecters a lesson. (I'm just being a
    > little sarcastic.)

[dogs]
    > communication. I understand rural dogs aren't necessarily so civilized. Good thing they don't
    > carry guns. At least, I hope they don't.

You have to be careful in the countryside! Remember that breeds such as retrievers, hounds and
    pointers are hunting dogs.

Thank you, I'm here all week, try the veal,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

15. "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 11 Feb 2004 01:10:37 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:
    >
    > >I wasn't there either but given the barest of facts contained in the
    article
    > >I'm inclined to believe two things: This is a case of two knotheads meeting. Their modes of
    > >transportation
    have
    > >nothing to do with their status as knotheads.
    >
    > This cuts right to the essence of the matter.
    >

Snip

> My own firearm has stayed in the holster except for cleaning and a lot of practice at the range,
    > and God willing that will always be the case. And I have retreated from such encounters in which I
    > have been an unwilling participant in unprovoked violence.

I know how you feel. I had just come out of the DMV of all places and had just put my 4 year old
    daughter in the car. As I was getting in a fellow came up and asked for some money. I politely told
    him I donated to the local shelter, and he should seek help there. Before I could get around to my
    door, he became enraged and began waving his arms and making all kinds of threats; BUT he never
    moved toward me and I never saw him reach for anything.

You can bet I wasn't going ANYWHERE with my daughter in the car. I just stood there the whole
    time with my hand resting on my 9mm in a pocket holster. He eventually wound down and walked away
    from the door of my car muttering to himself. I went back in and told the DMV people about the
    guy (in case he hassled anyone else), but they just said, "Ya, thanks" and gave me the "What else
    is new" look.

I am SO GLAD the guy backed off. I simply can't imagine the hell life would be on a number of levels
    if he had forced me to use my gun, but he was NEVER going to get near my daughter. I'm also very
    glad for the training I received.

Funny thing is I never carry while cycling... just too much weight! I usually only carry when
    I'm with my kids. I'm just glad that I live in an area that allows me to choose how I will
    protect me family.

16. >Funny thing is I never carry while cycling... just too much weight!

Not to mention you'd probably drop the gun, hit something other than your intended target, or get
    hit by a car if you tried to fire from a moving bicycle. Maybe if you were stoker on a tandem.

>I usually only carry when I'm with my kids. I'm just glad that I live in an area that allows me to
    >choose how I will protect me family.

Trollistan?

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

17. Zoot Katz

Zoot Katz Guest

10 Feb 2004 00:22:40 -0800,
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:

>Oh there are some ongoing crimes, that you are allow to used a gun to stop, such as rape or
    >car jacking.

WTF! I love that. It makes the car as sacrosanct as your person and more valuable than the life of
    the car thief. SICK _ SICK _ SICK

>The crimes have to be happening at the moment you fire the gun, if he is running from the crime
    >scene, you can not legally fire to stop him.
    >
    But you can apparently attempt to kill them with your pick-up truck if they're fleeing on a bicycle.

>Of course under some situations you might be legally wrong and the state will not charge you, but
    >you are taking a large chance.
    >
    Yeah, better to just run 'em down. You'll walk for sure.
    --
    zk

18. Zoot Katz

Zoot Katz Guest

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:26:51 -0500, <[email protected]>,
    "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:

>This country is not perfect (far from it), but it's still the best situation that ever existed ...

That's your story and you're stuck with it, dupe.
    --
    zk

19. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:49:45 -0700, "Bestest Handsander" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

>Funny thing is I never carry while cycling... just too much weight! I usually only carry when
    >I'm with my kids. I'm just glad that I live in an area that allows me to choose how I will
    >protect me family.

You've obviously thought it through. Defense of family is an obligation, and you wisely prepare for
    the worst then hope for the best.

Not carrying while cycling (and other activities done alone where you have the advantage of mobility
    and not having to worry about defending family members) is very much an individual decision. On
    rides in some areas, I think the extra weight is worth it. I had a sash weight in my newspaper
    delivery bag during collection days as a kid with a paper route, and it came in handy one time. In
    retrospect I'm glad I missed the idiot's head, but I busted his collarbone.

Training in self-defense should also include lesser use of force -- pepper spray can be used on two-
    legged canines as well as four-legged ones but not at a good standoff distance. And of course your
    conditioning and bike-handling skills will make evasion of most threats a more sure prospect.

20. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:

> You have to be careful in the countryside! Remember that breeds such as retrievers, hounds and
    > pointers are hunting dogs.

<chuckle> They're the ones I get along with best. Well, them, and blue heelers and great Danes,
    which are such sweetie-pies (why do blue heelers always like to sit on my shoe?) My best upland bird
    dog was a cocker spaniel/Irish setter stray mutt. No pheasant or grouse was safe from him. He used
    to take off on a 2 or 3 day "holiday" every now and then (probably spreading his posterity). Once,
    after one such junket when he came back home, a pound warden came to the front door shortly
    afterward. He jabbed his finger at me and spluttered, "That dog made a fool out of me!" and he
    threatened to be on the lookout for ol' Skip ever after. Whatever my dog did to the pound guy, I'm
    sure no gunplay was involved. I guess it was like Lahey and Ricky in 'Trailer Park Boys'.

I still, to this day, wonder what happened.

cheers, Tom

--