    Cyclist shot in chest

    From: [​IMG]
    By Miguel D'Souza

    March 23, 2006

    POLICE have called for witnesses to a shooting on a popular bike trail in Melbourne's north-east.

    Victoria police have said a woman was shot while riding her bicycle on a popular suburban trail at 9:30am on Tuesday morning.

    The woman was riding north along a foot bridge over Merri Creek near the Rushall railway station when she was hit in the chest by a single gun shot.

    The woman was treated in hospital for her injuries.

    Tags:

  2. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > CYCLIST SHOT IN CHEST
    > From: '[image: http://network.news.com.au/images/news_sourcelogo.gif]'
    > (http://www.news.com.au/?from=ni_story)
    > By Miguel D'Souza
    >
    > March 23, 2006
    >

    > POLICE have called for witnesses to a shooting on a popular bike trail
    > in Melbourne's north-east.
    >
    > Victoria police have said a woman was shot while riding her bicycle on
    > a popular suburban trail at 9:30am on Tuesday morning.
    >
    > The woman was riding north along a foot bridge over Merri Creek near
    > the Rushall railway station when she was hit in the chest by a single
    > gun shot.
    >

    > The woman was treated in hospital for her injuries.

    Freaky. Am I right in recalling this is where a cyclist was stabbed
    several years ago??

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  3. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004

    Same trail, different spot - The stabbing was further south down the trail, more towards Dights Falls...

    Ouch. Imagining being the first on the scene and tending to what you think is a simple fall, and then discover the bullet wound... eeks.

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Nope, that was down in Quarries Park in Clifton Hill circa 1997.

    This area is a huge commuter route for northern suburbs cyclists, we use it all the time! Any more on this??!?? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Just on tonights CH9 news bulletin, Melinda is ok despite having a .22 cal bullet collapse one of her lungs.

    GRRRRRR!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

  6. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    I rode through Rushall Station along the City bike trail (the long way round on the way to work today) @ 8:50am ! :eek:

  7. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    f*cking campers...

    GPL
    http://tinyurl.com/k3efg

  8. petulance

    petulance Guest

    gplama wrote:
    > byron27 Wrote:
    >
    >>The woman was riding north along a foot bridge over Merri Creek near
    >>the Rushall railway station when she was hit in the chest by a single
    >>gun shot.
    >>

    > f*cking campers...
    >

    > GPL
    > http://tinyurl.com/k3efg

    LOL. Now that is a term I haven't heard in a long time ...

    It brings me back to the days when the Voodoo2 card was the fastest 3D
    card in town ...

  9. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    According to Channel 10, the guy turned himself into police after "accidently discharging" the weapon.

    Pretty scary to think that someone could be set up sniper style to take pot shots at cyclists/peds/etc

    Ash

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Good, I really didn't think that some Sarajevo-style sniper was loose down the creek. A 22 has a lethal range of about 1600m, so where the hell did *they* *accidently* discharge the weapon from?!? Regardless of whether a cyclist, pedestrian or other animal/vegetable/mineral was involved I'm seriously fcked off by such a stupid incident in my local area. Like many, I've been over that bridge thousands of times since the 90's and hate the fact that a relatively rare incident such as this could potentially put the frighteners on some people. Hope the cops and the ballistic experts get to the bottom of the matter and seriously do a proper job on the fuckwit/s responsible.

  11. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Probably thought he was Michael Diamond in the Games.
    What about the cager who drove his 4WD onto the shooting range? Thought
    he was GI Joe in a Humvee.

  12. a5hi5m <[email protected]> wrote:

    > According to Channel 10, the guy turned himself into police after
    > "accidently discharging" the weapon.

    George Dubya?

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    today's AGE...
    http://tinyurl.com/m49mb

    altho the printed version has added at end...

    "On Wednesday night, doctors at St V's operated to remove the bullet.

    Detectives last night interviewed a 31yr old Northcote male in realtion to the shooting. The man contacted police, who are investigating the possibilitythat he might have discharged a firearm accidentally."

    if a .22 they can start tumbling (FWIW depending on age/quality of barrel) after about 500-800m altho if a pistol 300m...)

  14. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    What a croc...... as if an accidental discharge would manage to hit someone right in the middle of the chest.

    And why was he carrying a loaded gun with him????

  15. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    I would have been there at a similar time. It's my short way to work. Going the long way I pass the memorial to guy who was stabbed.

  16. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    To 'shoot off the front'? Commuter Olympics has gone gansta!

  17. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Update from local Constabulary:

    *************************
    Victoria Police - Man questioned over bicycle shooting Fri 24 March 2006
    http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=4531

    A man is expected to be charged on summons in relation to firearms
    offences, after a woman was shot while riding her bike in Northcote on
    Tuesday.

    Detectives from Darebin CIU interviewed a 31-year-old Northcote man
    about the shooting incident, which occurred near Merri Creek at about
    9.30am.

    It is believed the woman was riding north along a foot bridge over the
    Merri Creek near the Rushall railway station when she was struck in
    the chest by a single gun shot.

    Police seized a number of firearms and ammunition from the man's home,
    after he contacted police in relation to the incident.

    Police are investigating the possibility the man may have accidentally
    discharged a firearm.

    A metal object was removed from the victim and is being held for
    forensic analysis.

    Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information is urged to call
    Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

    Sergeant Peter Sambell
    Media Unit

  18. stu

    stu Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > today's AGE...
    > http://tinyurl.com/m49mb
    >
    > altho the printed version has added at end...
    >
    > "On Wednesday night, doctors at St V's operated to remove the bullet.
    >
    > Detectives last night interviewed a 31yr old Northcote male in realtion
    > to the shooting. The man contacted police, who are investigating the
    > possibilitythat he might have discharged a firearm accidentally."
    >
    > if a .22 they can start tumbling (FWIW depending on age/quality of
    > barrel) after about 500-800m altho if a pistol 300m...)
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    has it said anywhere "rim-fire" .22 ?