Cyclist struck, killed



scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
815
0
0
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19764425-1702,00.html

A CYCLIST has died after being struck by a car in Melbourne's north-west today.

The accident occurred in Pascoe Vale Road, Essendon, outside the Strathmore railway station, about 6.30am (AEST). A Metropolitan Ambulance Service spokesman said paramedics were unable to save the victim.

"The man, aged 30, was in full cardiac arrest when they came across the incident," he said.




"Sadly, they were unable to save him."
 

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
942
0
0
52
scotty72 said:
"The man, aged 30, was in full cardiac arrest when they came across the incident," he said.
"Sadly, they were unable to save him."

Just read about this on the news, what is even more disappointing is on the Channel 7 news the traffic person reported a "disruption" to the traffic, someone has died effecting the lives of countless people and they report the traffic has been disrupted.

2 weeks since I had my "interaction" with a car, been having a bit of trouble mentally, more than usual and this is the first incident I have read about since and just re-inforces to me how incredibly lucky I was and brings back that imagine already burned into the back of my mind.
 

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
815
0
0
MikeyOz said:
Just read about this on the news, what is even more disappointing is on the Channel 7 news the traffic person reported a "disruption" to the traffic, someone has died effecting the lives of countless people and they report the traffic has been disrupted.

2 weeks since I had my "interaction" with a car, been having a bit of trouble mentally, more than usual and this is the first incident I have read about since and just re-inforces to me how incredibly lucky I was and brings back that imagine already burned into the back of my mind.
I hope you're on the improve.

Up here, some months back, a cyclist was struck and killed on the M4 Motorway out near Penrith (I think). Traffic reporter reported it as nothing more than a delay to traffic. They continued to report this delay and after some time started to imply that they should hurry up and reopen the road. This lead to talkback callers bitching about the police blocking peak hour traffic. All this despite the news updates clearly stating that there had been a death.

On a similar note, a few days ago, police set up booze buses along main roads to catch the drunks returning from their World Cup finals parties from about 7am. The bitching and whining that these RBT stations were disrupting the almighty traffic flow was disgusting.

Some moron with 8 schooners under his belt who wipes out an innocent crowd waiting for a bus would disrupt traffic far more.

So to the cops, I say well done and stuff the traffic - lives are more important.

Scotty
 
V

vintage

Guest
"scotty72" <[email protected]yclingforums.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> MikeyOz Wrote:
> > Just read about this on the news, what is even more disappointing is on
> > the Channel 7 news the traffic person reported a "disruption" to the
> > traffic, someone has died effecting the lives of countless people and
> > they report the traffic has been disrupted.
> >
> > 2 weeks since I had my "interaction" with a car, been having a bit of
> > trouble mentally, more than usual and this is the first incident I have
> > read about since and just re-inforces to me how incredibly lucky I was
> > and brings back that imagine already burned into the back of my mind.I

hope you're on the improve.
>
> Up here, some months back, a cyclist was struck and killed on the M4
> Motorway out near Penrith (I think). Traffic reporter reported it as
> nothing more than a delay to traffic. They continued to report this
> delay and after some time started to imply that they should hurry up
> and reopen the road. This lead to talkback callers bitching about the
> police blocking peak hour traffic. All this despite the news updates
> clearly stating that there had been a death.
>
> On a similar note, a few days ago, police set up booze buses along
> main roads to catch the drunks returning from their World Cup finals
> parties from about 7am. The bitching and whining that these RBT
> stations were disrupting the almighty traffic flow was disgusting.
>
> Some moron with 8 schooners under his belt who wipes out an innocent
> crowd waiting for a bus would disrupt traffic far more.
>
> So to the cops, I say well done and stuff the traffic - lives are more
> important.
>
> Scotty
>
>
> --
> scotty72
>


Try the Melbourne police mentality. A few weeks back a casual rider hit a
pedestrian crossing the road against a red man. Both taken off to
hospital.

What happens about this? Not a jaywalking blitz.......

But a blitz on bicycle couriers in the centre of town away from where the
incident happend. The public felt safer after this show of support :-(
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
chin up, Mikey

I have been fighting the demons for a while now, and it's taking more and more to shake me. It's 'just' a time thing... :rolleyes:
 
A

Absent Husband

Guest
flyingdutch wrote:
> chin up, Mikey
>
> I have been fighting the demons for a while now, and it's taking more
> and more to shake me. It's 'just' a time thing... :rolleyes:
> --
> flyingdutch


That's right Mikey - it'll come...

Over 2 years since my big 'un, and I still get the white knuckles on
the handlebars whenever i approach a similar intersection...

But time (almost) heals (almost) all wounds... :)

Stay cool,
Abby
 

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
942
0
0
52
Absent Husband said:
flyingdutch wrote:
That's right Mikey - it'll come...

Over 2 years since my big 'un, and I still get the white knuckles on
the handlebars whenever i approach a similar intersection...

But time (almost) heals (almost) all wounds... :)


thanks guys, but I haven't even been out riding yet..!! well aside from the bike issue, the knees have just healed over, so I am due to hit the gym bike's sometime this week for the first time.

I think my left shoulder suffered more than I first thought, I am still getting pain lifting it up to shoulder height so I plan to visit for an x-ray and physio appointment soon to get a diagnosis. :(

FD, was yours the collar bone incident/bike breaking or did you have another one ?

Abby, never heard about yours ? Brief description ?
 

SteveA

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
1,309
0
0
64
MikeyOz said:
Just read about this on the news, what is even more disappointing is on the Channel 7 news the traffic person reported a "disruption" to the traffic, someone has died effecting the lives of countless people and they report the traffic has been disrupted.
<snip>
Yep, the words used to report the news often give more information about society than the news item itself.

There is a medical reality show on the TeeVeee on Tuesday nights that is sometimes turned on in our house. Last night, a 50 something bloke who was visiting Vic from Qld arrived in the ED with a smashed ankle after being car-doored.

The voice over was along the lines of " X was riding his bike at 30 kmh when he rode into a car door".

Rode into a car door? Was he just riding along and decided to run into some hapless car door that was sitting beside the road?

Almost certainly, he was riding along and some ****** opened his car door without sufficient care.

"X was riding along at 30 kmh and a car driver opened his door without looking causing him to crash into the door" would have been better.


SteveA
 

eddiec

New Member
Feb 16, 2004
423
0
0
Geez, what's up today??

Here I am recovering at home after getting clobbered myself on the way to work and then see a news update about this... The fates seem to be telling me to not ride, and I hate them for it!
 
A

Absent Husband

Guest
MikeyOz wrote:
> Abby, never heard about yours ? Brief description ?
>
>
> --
> MikeyOz


Very brief description:

Hooting down a hill along Logan Rd in Brissie (commuting into the city,
just passed the Holland Park shopping strip).

Reach bottom of hill travelling between 50-60km/h. Suddenly, white
commodore (driven by 86yo assassin) travelling in opposite direction
turns to her right at intersection.

I have time to think, "Holy f...", hit bonnet, and end up unconscious
20 or so metres across the intersection (impressively, underneath
another car, who saw what was happening and stopped, thus saving me
from further injury!!).

Recovery had me off the bike for 3 months (knee, ankle, and hand). Took
me another 3 months to get the courage to throw the leg over the
saddle. I still pass that intersection every day on my commute, and my
sphincter still tightens every time I see a car waiting to turn right
across it.

Still, wouldn't quit cycling for anything!! Although my 5yo daughter
still asks me "not to run into any cars" every time I head out for a
ride... *smiles*

Good luck with your recovery Mikey!!
Abby
 

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
815
0
0
Hey,

When a was a freaky uni kid I lived at Holland Park (the Greenslopes) and rode that hill. Know it well. You're talking about just before the road starts to climb up to the Greenslopes mall, right? Birdwood Rd or something like that right.

I can vouch for the fact that it is a place where motorist brains are switched off (the road is too wide, straight and cruisy)

Scotty

Absent Husband said:
MikeyOz wrote:
> Abby, never heard about yours ? Brief description ?
>
>
> --
> MikeyOz


Very brief description:

Hooting down a hill along Logan Rd in Brissie (commuting into the city,
just passed the Holland Park shopping strip).

Reach bottom of hill travelling between 50-60km/h. Suddenly, white
commodore (driven by 86yo assassin) travelling in opposite direction
turns to her right at intersection.

I have time to think, "Holy f...", hit bonnet, and end up unconscious
20 or so metres across the intersection (impressively, underneath
another car, who saw what was happening and stopped, thus saving me
from further injury!!).

Recovery had me off the bike for 3 months (knee, ankle, and hand). Took
me another 3 months to get the courage to throw the leg over the
saddle. I still pass that intersection every day on my commute, and my
sphincter still tightens every time I see a car waiting to turn right
across it.

Still, wouldn't quit cycling for anything!! Although my 5yo daughter
still asks me "not to run into any cars" every time I head out for a
ride... *smiles*

Good luck with your recovery Mikey!!
Abby
 
A

Absent Husband

Guest
scotty72 wrote:
> Hey,
>
> When a was a freaky uni kid I lived at Holland Park (the Greenslopes)
> and rode that hill. Know it well. You're talking about just before the
> road starts to climb up to the Greenslopes mall, right? Birdwood Rd or
> something like that right.
>
> I can vouch for the fact that it is a place where motorist brains are
> switched off (the road is too wide, straight and cruisy)
>
> Scotty


Yep, that's the one. The 86yo assassin was turning into Birdwood Rd
(there is an antiques shop on the corner there...).

In the mornings, I find if I clearly claim the lane on that strecth,
then its all good. But if I stick to the gutter, then I'm just not seen
along there at all. (although for the record, when the assassin got me
I was actually claiming the lane smack in the middle...).

Cheers,
Abby
 
T

TimC

Guest
On 2006-07-12, SteveA (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> MikeyOz Wrote:
>> Just read about this on the news, what is even more disappointing is on
>> the Channel 7 news the traffic person reported a "disruption" to the
>> traffic, someone has died effecting the lives of countless people and
>> they report the traffic has been disrupted.
>> <snip>
>>
>>

> Yep, the words used to report the news often give more information
> about society than the news item itself.
>
> There is a medical reality show on the TeeVeee on Tuesday nights that


Is that on channel 7?

Have you seen some crazy long haired hippy dude called "Tim" on that
show? Lot's of boold on his face.


It's surreal being wheeled into the ER barely able to open your eyes,
and you can see this boom mic above your head.

I've been on (regional) telly inside a hospital once before that,
having an operation on my eye.

--
TimC
That [Tim-Tam] would be the Classic. Not to be confused with the
Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate, and Double Chocolate flavour.
(Personally, I prefer Cadbury's Doubles myself. Tim Tams don't taste
enough of chocolate.) -- Faceless Man on ARK
 
H

hemyd

Guest
"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Just read about this on the news, what is even more disappointing is on
> the Channel 7 news the traffic person reported a "disruption" to the
> traffic, someone has died effecting the lives of countless people and
> they report the traffic has been disrupted.
>
> 2 weeks since I had my "interaction" with a car, been having a bit of
> trouble mentally, more than usual and this is the first incident I have
> read about since and just re-inforces to me how incredibly lucky I was
> and brings back that imagine already burned into the back of my mind.
>
>
> --
> MikeyOz
>

Also, on the documentary "Medical Emergency" on Channel 7 last night, they
brough in to casualty a cyclist who "crashed into an open car door" I found
that also a very disappointing way of describing what happened.

I got hit in the middle of St Kilda Junction a few weeks ago. Miraculously I
did not fall off my bike. Now, many weeks later, I am still a bit uncertain
when commuting.

Henry.
 
P

Peter McCallum

Guest
scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Up here, some months back, a cyclist was struck and killed on the M4
> Motorway out near Penrith (I think). Traffic reporter reported it as
> nothing more than a delay to traffic. They continued to report this
> delay and after some time started to imply that they should hurry up
> and reopen the road. This lead to talkback callers bitching about the
> police blocking peak hour traffic. All this despite the news updates
> clearly stating that there had been a death.
>


Must be a Sydney thing. I was on a train travelling from Milson's Point
to Wynyard that struck a bloke. We had been stopped in the tunnel for
about 40 minutes when a railway employee walked through the carriage. A
very agitated woman in a business suit asked him how long it would be
till the train got underway. He explained very calmly that there had
been an accident and a man was seriously injured. She said "I know that!
But I have an important meeting to go to." The railway employee walked
away shaking his head.

Peter
[Who just remembered why he left Sydney all those years ago]

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
http://bicyclemackay.org.au
 

Similar threads