Cyclist Up For Turner Prize

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4348626.stm

> Yes, but is it art?

In the spirit of Marcel Duchamps, yes.

> Also, Brian: I understand the drug-testing protocols for the Turner
> Prize are essentially nonexistent. Care to comment?

No testing. The Turner Prize is a totally open competition as opposed to
something like the Booker Prize which tests randomly during writing. .

> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
> "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

In article <[email protected]>,
"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4348626.stm

> > Yes, but is it art?

> In the spirit of Marcel Duchamps, yes.

Hah. It turns out he painted a watercolour! And the bicycle verges
dangerously close to being craft, not art. But I guess it is saved by
being far too trashy to be craft.

http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turnerprize/2005/simonstarling.htm

> > Also, Brian: I understand the drug-testing protocols for the Turner
> > Prize are essentially nonexistent. Care to comment?

> No testing. The Turner Prize is a totally open competition as opposed to
> something like the Booker Prize which tests randomly during writing. .

So, more Mount Hamilton than Milan-San Remo.

Why didn't someone enter Futura's art bikes?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/?id=lance_tour_tt_bike
/cntdf05-lancettx2

C'mon Brian, you can get behind that! It's art!

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Yes, but is it art?

>> In the spirit of Marcel Duchamps, yes.

> Hah. It turns out he painted a watercolour! And the bicycle verges
> dangerously close to being craft, not art. But I guess it is saved by
> being far too trashy to be craft.

I was thinking of his ready mades. See:
http://www.centrepompidou.fr/images/oeuvres/XL/3I01504.jpg and his work
titled "Fountain." http://www.beatmuseum.org/duchamp/fountain.html

> http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turnerprize/2005/simonstarling.htm
>
>> > Also, Brian: I understand the drug-testing protocols for the Turner
>> > Prize are essentially nonexistent. Care to comment?

>> No testing. The Turner Prize is a totally open competition as opposed to
>> something like the Booker Prize which tests randomly during writing. .

> So, more Mount Hamilton than Milan-San Remo.

Mount Hamilton? Or did you mean Mt. Washington?

> Why didn't someone enter Futura's art bikes?
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/?id=lance_tour_tt_bike
> /cntdf05-lancettx2
>
> C'mon Brian, you can get behind that! It's art!

Duchamp would point out that it is not a ready made. From the Dadist point
of view Armstrong's bike is representative of bourgeois society's garbage
and the conservative values they abhored. But, Art is in the mind of the
beholder. People did pay good money for Andy's Ritz Crackers in a jewel
box.

B. Lafferty wrote:
> Mount Hamilton? Or did you mean Mt. Washington?

Its been renamed Mt Hamilton in honour of Tylers twin.

> From the Dadist point of view Armstrong's bike is representative of bourgeois society's garbage
> and the conservative values they abhored.

Presumably the Dadaists would share your disapproval of EPO, if only
because there's no point in winning anything so why bother trying.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>> So, more Mount Hamilton than Milan-San Remo.

> B. Lafferty wrote:
>> Mount Hamilton? Or did you mean Mt. Washington?

> Its been renamed Mt Hamilton in honour of Tylers twin.

Shouldn't it be named Mt. Chimera?

>> From the Dadist point of view Armstrong's bike is representative of
>> bourgeois society's garbage
>> and the conservative values they abhored.

> Presumably the Dadaists would share your disapproval of EPO, if only
> because there's no point in winning anything so why bother trying.

Winning is bourgeois.

In article <[email protected]>,
"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> > B. Lafferty wrote:
> >> Mount Hamilton? Or did you mean Mt. Washington?

> > Its been renamed Mt Hamilton in honour of Tylers twin.

> Shouldn't it be named Mt. Chimera?
>

> >> From the Dadist point of view Armstrong's bike is representative of
> >> bourgeois society's garbage
> >> and the conservative values they abhored.

> > Presumably the Dadaists would share your disapproval of EPO, if only
> > because there's no point in winning anything so why bother trying.

> Winning is bourgeois.

Aha! We have gotten to the roots of Brian's thesis:

His arguments against Lance et al are a surrealist critique of victory!

Failure is a social construct,

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:p[email protected]...

>> > Its been renamed Mt Hamilton in honour of Tylers twin.

>> Shouldn't it be named Mt. Chimera?

>> > Presumably the Dadaists would share your disapproval of EPO, if only
>> > because there's no point in winning anything so why bother trying.

>> Winning is bourgeois.

> Aha! We have gotten to the roots of Brian's thesis:
>
> His arguments against Lance et al are a surrealist critique of victory!
>
> Failure is a social construct,

Sorry, but I'm neither a Dadaist nor a Surrealist. :)

B. Lafferty wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4348626.stm

>> Yes, but is it art?

> In the spirit of Marcel Duchamps, yes.

Speaking of whom, I saw Marcel's famous urinal while I was in London earlier
this week. I thought 'cool, this what's been named the most influential
modern art work of all time'. Then I read the inscription, and found out
that it was nothing more than a copy.

Man, I felt so cheated. Talk about taking the ****.

Jeff

Jeff Jones wrote:
> Speaking of whom, I saw Marcel's famous urinal while I was in London earlier
> this week. I thought 'cool, this what's been named the most influential
> modern art work of all time'. Then I read the inscription, and found out
> that it was nothing more than a copy.

What'd it say? "Ceci n'est pas un objet d'art"?

--
E. Dronkert

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Jeff Jones <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes, but is it art?

>> In the spirit of Marcel Duchamps, yes.

> Speaking of whom, I saw Marcel's famous urinal while I was in London
> earlier this week. I thought 'cool, this what's been named the most
> influential modern art work of all time'. Then I read the
> inscription, and found out that it was nothing more than a copy.
>
> Man, I felt so cheated. Talk about taking the ****.
>
> Jeff

Wrong side of the channel. It's over here, in a general Dada exposition.

--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Sandy wrote:
> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
> Jeff Jones <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

> > Speaking of whom, I saw Marcel's famous urinal while I was in London
> > earlier this week. I thought 'cool, this what's been named the most
> > influential modern art work of all time'. Then I read the
> > inscription, and found out that it was nothing more than a copy.
> >
> > Man, I felt so cheated. Talk about taking the ****.
> >
> > Jeff

> Wrong side of the channel. It's over here, in a general Dada exposition.

"It"? That's like saying you can't have, say, Miles Davis's
"Jack Johnson," because it's at my house.

-Benjamin
http://bid.berkeley.edu/bidclass/readings/benjamin.html