Cyclists cannot ride over planned bridge

squeaker wrote:

> Erm, might it not be referring to the fact that, if you continue
> riding, you will be riding along a footpath, where cycling is
> verboten?

There is a different sign for that although they may be used as advisory
reminder alongside a clear change in rights such as a cyclepath ending
at a pedestrian crossing.

Tony

Tony Raven said the following on 17/08/2007 11:42:

> There is a different sign for that although they may be used as advisory
> reminder alongside a clear change in rights such as a cyclepath ending
> at a pedestrian crossing.

There is *supposed* to be a different sign used for this :) The A371
leading out of Weston-super-Mare towards Banwell has a shared facility
which I use on my way to work. It has the appropriate blue signs
scattered randomly to indicate this is a shared path. However, carrying
on a bit if I was continuing towards the Mendips, the signs stop, but
there's no end of cyclepath sign either. I ended up quite happily
cycling along a pavement until it dawned on me I hadn't seen any shared
path signs for a while, but I still have no idea at what point it
becomes pavement rather than shared. I'm guessing it's at the entrance
to RAF Locking. Once I get past the ex-RAF base the road is better to
ride on anyway, so I do!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:16:13 +0100 someone who may be Cheeky
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Mate just got nabbed for turning right
>across a major junction on an all-green pedestrian phase. Bike cop
>said "you give people like us a bad name"!!

On the evidence provided, I agree with the "bike cop".

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:42:21 +0100 someone who may be Paul Boyd
<usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote this:-

>Tony Raven said the following on 17/08/2007 11:42:
>
>> There is a different sign for that although they may be used as advisory
>> reminder alongside a clear change in rights such as a cyclepath ending
>> at a pedestrian crossing.

>There is *supposed* to be a different sign used for this :) The A371
>leading out of Weston-super-Mare towards Banwell has a shared facility
>which I use on my way to work. It has the appropriate blue signs
>scattered randomly to indicate this is a shared path. However, carrying
>on a bit if I was continuing towards the Mendips, the signs stop, but
>there's no end of cyclepath sign either.

There may well be a solid white line on the pavement which cyclists
should not cross.

Of course given that cyclists have to cross such white lines to get
on the right side to pass over the silly rumble things on many
segregated cycle paths cyclists are used to ignoring them.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:35:41 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> >
> > Seriously, what is the legal status of a "Cyclists dismount" sign? If
> > the latter is, in law, an instruction is there anything to prevent you
> > getting straight back on your bike again in the absence of a "No
> > Cycling" sign? :)

> It is advisory - there is no law or regulation associated with it and is
> essentially there as a backside covering sign for the council. If you
> carry on cycling across whatever hazard they have identified and get hit
> they can say they did warn you so they are not liable. Nothing more,
> nothing less.
> http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2002/023113ag.gif

For anyone not familiar with that document, the relevant aspect of
what Tony has highlighted is that there are no regulations and no
directions referring to that sign. There aren't even any other
relevant diagrams, so it's not one where it's used in combination with
something else, and teh something else has force.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Tony Raven wrote:
> Grammar and the lack of the word "must". Would you interpret the
> following as instructions or observations?
>
> Birds fly
> Fish swim
> Dogs bark
> Cyclists dismount

Polish War Memorial

(on the A40 somewhere near Hangar Lane, iirc)

-dan

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:10:54 +0100, Pyromancer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Cheeky
><[email protected]> gently breathed:
>
>>Unless they're bike cops. Mate just got nabbed for turning right
>>across a major junction on an all-green pedestrian phase. Bike cop
>>said "you give people like us a bad name"!! Got himself a NIP for it
>>(failing to observe a traffic sign/signal I presume).

>Good. Cyclists who ride through red lights and across pedestrian
>crossings on the pedestrian phase should have all their bikes
>confiscated and crushed. The law applies to everyone.

That would not be an even-handed penalty. It's harsher for those of
us with two or three bikes worth £600 - £2000 each than it is for
someone with a single £50 BSO.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:10:54 +0100, Pyromancer
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Cheeky
>> <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>>
>>> Unless they're bike cops. Mate just got nabbed for turning right
>>> across a major junction on an all-green pedestrian phase. Bike cop
>>> said "you give people like us a bad name"!! Got himself a NIP for it
>>> (failing to observe a traffic sign/signal I presume).

>> Good. Cyclists who ride through red lights and across pedestrian
>> crossings on the pedestrian phase should have all their bikes
>> confiscated and crushed. The law applies to everyone.

> That would not be an even-handed penalty. It's harsher for those of
> us with two or three bikes worth £600 - £2000 each than it is for
> someone with a single £50 BSO.

Don't worry. That sort of draconian penalty is reserved only for
motorists. Whether your car is worth £50 or £100,000 it can be
confiscated, and crushed, for the most minor contravention of the most
minor technical offence.

--
Matt B

Eatmorepies twisted the electrons to say:
> But the clue here is from the apparatchiks; "Despite the protests,
> council planning officers are recommended approval for what they say
> will become a "unique landmark attraction"." Which can be translated as
> 'we don't care how it works so long as it makes us and our beloved
> council leaders look good on the news.

Surely it's not making them look good on the news at the moment though?
I suppose they're thinking of the ceremonial cutting the ribbon moment?
Definite "style over substance" ...

in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:10:54 +0100, Pyromancer
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Cheeky
>><[email protected]> gently breathed:
>>
>>>Unless they're bike cops. Mate just got nabbed for turning right
>>>across a major junction on an all-green pedestrian phase. Bike cop
>>>said "you give people like us a bad name"!! Got himself a NIP for it
>>>(failing to observe a traffic sign/signal I presume).

>>Good. Cyclists who ride through red lights and across pedestrian
>>crossings on the pedestrian phase should have all their bikes
>>confiscated and crushed. The law applies to everyone.

> That would not be an even-handed penalty. It's harsher for those of
> us with two or three bikes worth £600 - £2000 each than it is for
> someone with a single £50 BSO.

Bollocks. Speaking as someone with three bikes with an average value well
over £600, I would be quite happy with that proposed law - provided it
applied to cars, vans and taxis as well as bicycles. I would not be
affected by it, except in so far as other people's road behaviour would
improve.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:40:25 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:10:54 +0100, Pyromancer
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Cheeky
>>><[email protected]> gently breathed:

>>>Good. Cyclists who ride through red lights and across pedestrian
>>>crossings on the pedestrian phase should have all their bikes
>>>confiscated and crushed. The law applies to everyone.

>> That would not be an even-handed penalty. It's harsher for those of
>> us with two or three bikes worth £600 - £2000 each than it is for
>> someone with a single £50 BSO.

>Bollocks. Speaking as someone with three bikes with an average value well
>over £600, I would be quite happy with that proposed law - provided it
>applied to cars, vans and taxis as well as bicycles. I would not be
>affected by it, except in so far as other people's road behaviour would
>improve.

Fair point.

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote

[snip]

> But the clue here is from the apparatchiks; "Despite the protests,
> council planning officers are recommended approval for what they
> say will become a "unique landmark attraction"."

[snip]

If that means anything at all when translated into English, it can
only mean that they know that it is guaranteed that nobody will build
a second one

Jeremy Parker

Tony Raven wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>>
>> cf 'Polish War Memorial' (as seen on teh A40 / M40). It must be very
>> shiny by now.
>>

> And "Door Alarmed" seen all over the place.

That is because they often also have "Fire Exit" written
on them. Would you like to be the door the fire exits
through?

Martin Dann wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> Ian Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> cf 'Polish War Memorial' (as seen on teh A40 / M40). It must be very
>>> shiny by now.
>>>

>> And "Door Alarmed" seen all over the place.

> That is because they often also have "Fire Exit" written on them. Would
> you like to be the door the fire exits through?

People always seem to get most upset when I follow the clear
precautionary instruction to "Break Glass in Case of Fire" ;-)

Tony

Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
> There is *supposed* to be a different sign used for this :) The A371
> leading out of Weston-super-Mare towards Banwell has a shared facility
> which I use on my way to work. It has the appropriate blue signs
> scattered randomly to indicate this is a shared path. However, carrying
> on a bit if I was continuing towards the Mendips, the signs stop, but
> there's no end of cyclepath sign either. I ended up quite happily
> cycling along a pavement until it dawned on me I hadn't seen any shared
> path signs for a while, but I still have no idea at what point it
> becomes pavement rather than shared. I'm guessing it's at the entrance
> to RAF Locking. Once I get past the ex-RAF base the road is better to
> ride on anyway, so I do!

The much-improved 2007 North Somerset Cycle Route map shows it crossing
the A371 somewhere near the camp (by the school?) and then turning
right off the A371 shortly before the M5 bridge to join Banwell Road.
I'm not sure that's much use to many people as I don't think Banwell
Road crosses the M5 and it's a hard way round up Windmill Hill to reach
the next bridge, but that's where it seems to go. Maybe useful for
Banwell-Hutton rides, I guess.

I view the white-on-blue 'Cyclists Dismount' signs as informational, like
the TIC and Hospital ones. I heard they've stopped using them so
liberally around here now... Norfolk seemed the worst place for those
and for 'End of Route' - see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/proj/cyclynn/

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.

On 20/08/2007 13:42, MJ Ray said,

> The much-improved 2007 North Somerset Cycle Route map shows it crossing
> the A371 somewhere near the camp (by the school?) and then turning
> right off the A371 shortly before the M5 bridge to join Banwell Road.

So it does! When you cycle along the section on the North side of the
A371 towards Banwell, you would have no idea that there is another bit
on the other side of the road across a pedestrian-only, non-ramped
footbridge. As you say though, it's a pretty pointless exercise as you
can't cross the M5 that way. Windmill Hill becomes off-road track until
you cross the motorway bridge. (From the top of Windmill Hill and down
the bridleway to Loxton is great fun though!)

Incidentally, I only found the 2006 map - where's the 2007 version?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 20/08/2007 13:42, MJ Ray said,
> > The much-improved 2007 North Somerset Cycle Route map shows it crossing
> > the A371 somewhere near the camp (by the school?) and then turning
> > right off the A371 shortly before the M5 bridge to join Banwell Road.

> So it does! When you cycle along the section on the North side of the
> A371 towards Banwell, you would have no idea that there is another bit
> on the other side of the road across a pedestrian-only, non-ramped
> footbridge. As you say though, it's a pretty pointless exercise [...]

I've got a vague recollection of some other sort of crossing there in the
past, but maybe my memory is playing tricks. I also don't know whether
those two are meant to be one route. I guess I should finally ride out
that way to Banwell one day, instead of lazily riding through Worle.

> Incidentally, I only found the 2006 map - where's the 2007 version?

Another excellent reason to attend the North Somerset Cycle Forum! Next
meeting is at the Flax Bourton Greenway on Wednesday 5 September, meeting
at Nailsea and Backwell Station at 6.30pm.

More seriously, if you find somewhere still stocking the 2006, ask them to
contact Jonathan Gall 634 848 and request the 2007 version (maybe fewer
copies).

Thanks,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.

On 26/08/2007 09:45, MJ Ray said,

> Another excellent reason to attend the North Somerset Cycle Forum! Next
> meeting is at the Flax Bourton Greenway on Wednesday 5 September, meeting
> at Nailsea and Backwell Station at 6.30pm.

At about that time, I'll be tucking into fish'n'chips in Porthmadog and
looking forward to a blast around Coed-y-Brenin the next day! I will
try to attend one of these one day, but I'm still working in Weston at
6pm at the moment!

> More seriously, if you find somewhere still stocking the 2006, ask them to
> contact Jonathan Gall 634 848 and request the 2007 version (maybe fewer
> copies).

I found the 2006 version somewhere in the appalling labyrinth that
passes for the North Somerset website. I can't find it again now, of
course!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> I found the 2006 version somewhere in the appalling labyrinth that
> passes for the North Somerset website. I can't find it again now, of
> course!

Ack, found it under http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/cycling/ (which isn't
a link you can find out from the site IIRC - they need to employ a
decent webmaster</hint>)

I'll email about putting up the 2007, but it may be that they don't have
PDFs available yet (e-government anyone?).

Thanks!